• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Treats for training

Jenny37

What type of treats do you all give when you are rewarding your cavalier while training them?

It really varies on what I have at the time... I get these great natural treats at PetSmart (I forget what they're called, but they're in a greenish little bag with a picture on the front), and they're tiny and the right size, but I think Fiona got bored of them. I dont know if you have a Trader Joe's by you, but I recently discovered their Puppy Jerky Sticks that Fiona LOVES more than any other treat I've tried. They're the only treat she's ever gone looking for after I put them away, and they're only $1.89 a bag or something. If I'm short on puppy specific treats I'll use hot dog or carrots.

Bianca gets "tiny tots" made by Solid Gold (they are kind of jerky-like but crumbly so you can break them in smaller pieces). She also loves these tiny disc-shaped peanut butter treats which are some whole foods-type thing (basically human quality ingredients). Occasionally I also use Greenies dental chews broken into smaller pieces. She's not too picky, though!! :D -Natalie

I couldn't get Beau interested in commercial treats, so I have been cutting up a slice of ham & putting it in the overn on a tray to dry out & crisp up. Each piece is about half the size of my little fingernail so he doesn't get to eat too much, but he sure does love them & is very keen to do whatever it takes to earn one.

Ruby gets Charlee Bear treats in the cheese and egg flavor. She LOVES them. They're about the size of an oyster cracker and only 3 calories. I'll even break them in half or thirds sometime if we're doing a longer training session in order to not fatten her up!! I also use the Natural Balance Turkey roll and cut up little pieces, which she also loves. She sees me get them out and plants her little bottom on the ground because she knows she only gets a treat if she's sitting like a lady!!

Wellness makes jerky treats similar to the Solid Gold. They come in the same flavors as their food, which are EXCELLENT, but they also come in meat only flavors such as pure venison. My dogs go crazy for them and they don't have any of the allergens that a lot of the lesser quality treats do. I also give the crunchy treats as an every day treat, I use the jerky ones for training. My kids think they are getting something REALLY special that way!

Here is a description of their treat products:
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/wellness/dog_wellness_treats_index.html

At home Charlee Bears and Wellness Jerky treats. At class where her attention on me is "0" I need a really high reward. Discovered cooked chicken and lowfat cheddar cheese will make this lass "watch me" till I say its over :lol:

When working Joly, rather than a quick home training session, I use hotdog sausage, cut into tiny bits, so they don't take ages to chew. These are the favoured treats of many obedience trainers. Ones with a touch of garlic are even better, as they have the scent value. I also use haslet, which i get from the supermarket deli.

Mine have dried liver or small pieces of chopped carrot

I put the liver in a saucepan, cover it with water and then boil rapidly for about 7 mins {easier if you have a pressure cooker}.

Leave to cool, drain {you can use the liquid over their meals, or even as stock for your own meals!!}, then cut into cubes, about 2cm square - it shrinks a bit when cooked. Bake at about 140C for 1 1/2 hours and leave in oven to cool

ONce cool, it will keep in an airtight container for up to a year!!!

If it's not sufficently dried, it will develop a white bloom within a couple of days - put it back in the oven for about 30 to 45 mins and it will be fine.

The dogs love it, it does smell so that is good for a reward, but the don't seem to digest it properly - it passes through, so no worries about them eating too much organ meat!!

some treat ideas here

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=155&highlight=dried+liver

some fruit and veg ideas here

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8570&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Barbara Nixon said:
When working Joly, rather than a quick home training session, I use hotdog sausage, cut into tiny bits, so they don't take ages to chew. These are the favoured treats of many obedience trainers. Ones with a touch of garlic are even better, as they have the scent value. I also use haslet, which i get from the supermarket deli.
Our trainer in the last class brought a list of homemade recipes for treats - the hotdog ones were included. Kodee spit out every single high end treat she said they would go nuts over! Picky Picky lil girl I got!

When he was young, Izzy was not at all tempted by treats , as he was not food driven. he worked for praise alone, but got to like treats later.

Ste, I'd be very wary of giving cat treats to a dog. Several years ago what is now called Frolic, for dogs, came out under the name Go Dog, with a sister product Go Cat. Several dogs became ill after eating the cat version and so warnings were printed, advising not to feed to dogs. The products both then disappeared ; the dog version being reborn as Frolic.

We use the Natural Balance rolls (Turkey & Beef) - both of mmy girls stop whatever they are doing and immediately sit until treated!!

Kodee; I can't believe how picky your little girl is!! My guys don't even taste when they eat, they just swallow :lol:

moniechris said:
Kodee; I can't believe how picky your little girl is!! My guys don't even taste when they eat, they just swallow :lol:
It amazes me too! My last was a lab that would eat anything even if it just had a slight smell of food on it!

She is a au-natural girl - she likes frozen green beans, licks of no fat yogurt, carrots - I wish I was geared to like the healthy stuff like her - it would solve a lot for me :lol:

Back