• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Live & Learn--Lyme Vaccine

Lynn

I'm feeling a little angry with my vet and also stupid on my own part...and wanted to share this with others.

Yesterday I called my vet to make an appointment for Molly & Max to have their lyme vaccine since spring is on it's way and lyme disease is an issue in Maine. The receptionist said that Molly & Max already had one injection and they needed their second. (booster) I was sure that this was wrong... I did not remember ever asking for them to have the injection.

We went to the vet today and I asked WHEN did they have their first injection? It was when they were spayed & neutered in February and I was supposed to come back with them for a booster in 2-4 weeks, but the vet NEVER told me about it!!!!! What gets me angry is that I was at the vet's office many times during that period for other issues and they never mentioned needing another booster. So, we had to begin the series again.

So, I wasted another $50 to have the injections given again and this time made an appointment for the booster. I know it's not just my vet's mistake, I should have a better understanding of what is being given / done to the dogs at all times. I was just a nervous wreck when I picked my babies up from being spayed & neutered that I didn't think to go through the invoice line by line. I expected the vet to instruct me on what needed to be done next...they had me make an appointment for Molly's stitches to come out...they should have made the appointment for the booster, in my opinion!

Wow Lynn, that is really suprising. Maybe you should ask your vet about sending out reminder cards for their vaccines. Since I have two dogs and they are both on different vaccination schedules I was worried I would forget one or bring the wrong one so I just asked if they wouldn't mind sending me a card. I gave them a stack of self-addressed stamped envelopes and they just drop me a reminder anytime one of them needs a visit, it has worked out well and they were happy to do it.

I also noticed on my last visit that they have started printing their vaccination records with due dates on the bottom of the invoice so I always post it on the fridge. If I were you I would definitely talk to the owner if it is not your vet and let them know how upset you are about your multiple visits in between with no reminders, it is not fair you had to pay twice!

I would be annoyed too Lynn. We have always been given vaccination certificates & next due date written upon it to remind us.

One way around this is to ask the receptionist to print out an itemised statement of what you are being charged for. They then have to list what services have been performed, what medications used etc.

Thanks for the replies & great ideas. I will have to pay better attention and ask more direct questions in the future.....

I thought I'd share this with the group so you'll remember that the lyme vaccine needs a booster after the first injection.

Lynn said:
I'm feeling a little angry with my vet ...I expected the vet to instruct me on what needed to be done

I think you have every right to expect your vet to inform you personally that they were given the shot or see to it the receptionist asks you to set up the follow up booster appointment. Kodee's receptionist get the file back from the vet with notes on things like that - so they always say "Dr XX wants you back in x amt of time for whatever".

I just went through a bill/service argument with my dentist - it ended with HIM eating 250 buck bill. Long story - no point in telling it here except to say there is not much difference in the moral - they didnt inform me about something I clearly see as their responsibility. In the end they said I was a long standing customer and ate the bill. Personally you dont owe your vet for the first shot again - it was his offices mistake - i'd pay for the booster or at the very most maybe pay for the actual shot cost which is probably only about $20 and call it even.

You're right to expect your vet to tell you what he is doing to your pets and I agree you shouldn't have to pay again. I think the biggest lesson I have learnt is that vets, like everyone, get things wrong and we should question, question, question.

The "retail" cost of a lymes shot serum is about 12.00 USD. I would also be upset that your dogs were given a shot that you didn't know about or ask for during a very stressful recouperative time.

I would be very mad and very unhappy. And I also would not have wanted the added stress of a vaccine given at the time of neutering/spaying either! I would definitely sit that vet down and have a serious talk with him/her. I would not pay for any vaccine that I did not ask for....I would talk to the vet about that too, you shouldn't be charged for their mistake or their assumptions.

I pulled out all my vet bills to help another member with a question. I just noticed at the bottom of my bill in bold type is Reminders for Kodee: then it shows which shots she has had and list what is upcoming she needs plus any booked upcoming appointments. That is how all vets should do it! The more I think on your post, the more I realize your vet should be eating the first round costs you need - its his lack of effeciency that it happened not yours (you never knew!).

Back