• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear Problems again!!

Kingofthehouse86

King went to the vet to get an update on his shots (lyme & bordatella) And my vet found a yeast problem down in his ears... So he's on "Otomax" to correct the problem... It's like $35 for this little bottle that is hopefully supposed to cure it...And I hope for good? HAs anyone else had this and if so what did the do to correct it or prevent it? I really don't wanna pay $35 everytime this may happen.

The day after we collected Beau we discovered he had a nasty ear and yes we had to do the very expensive ear drops (antibiotics) too. I don't think there is ever going to be a guarantee that this never happens again. It is a bit like a kid with a runny nose. You clear this one up, there are no guarantees that he won't have another in a few months.

Often times it is moisture that is the beginning culprit in these things. I clean my dogs' ears with Epi-Otic Skin & Ear Lotion once weekly and I go by the instructions that you pour the product into the ear canal. This dries up any moisture there & also helps stamp out the baddies. This is not a cure for an existing problem though, more a preventative.

Pay particular care after your dog has had his bath. Be sure to dry his ears thoroughly. I do mine with a hair dryer, and then follow with the Epi-Otic. I also ensure that the dog's drinking water is in a dish that doesn't allow the ears to float around in the water. I am not sure if this helps but I just figure having constantly wet ears can not help.

When I bathe I always put cotton balls in his ears to keep out the water....but I've heard very good things bout the Epi-Otic so once this is cured up I'll get a bottle of it

Epi otic is a good product but because it is alcohol based (which is why it helps to dry out the ear) it is also rather harsh. You would have to make sure (ask your vet) there is NO breaks in the skin or inflammation down in the ear before use or it would/could be very painful for your baby.

This is especailly the case after an infection where your little one may have been scratching at his/her ears more than normal.

I think some dogs are more prone to ear infections than others and unfortunately sometimes after having them once they do seem to get them more often so long as you are doing a weekly clean and keeping them dry then thats all you can do really.

With the cotton wool when you pull it out of the ear at the end of the bath is it dry ? Just wondering if this could absorb the moisture and then water drip from the cotton wool into the ear ??

Hi Aaron,

I once had a foster with a gammy ear. She had Otomax too and once it was cleaned up I used Epi-otic on her the same as I've done on all my others. I had her for 6mths and she never had another infection.

Epi-otic is great stuff, I wish I could use it on my own gammy ears :lol:

Back