• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Introducing a new dog..

George

We currently have a 7mth old male Cavalier and are considering getting another dog/pup to join our family.. I was wondering what the best mix would be - I was thinking of a spayed female so there would be no territory battle. I am currently looking on irishdogs.ie and on SPCA websites for re-homeable dogs but my options seem to be limited as I want a similiar sized dog.. So now I am considering another cavalier pup and would appreciate any advice at all on what to get i.e. Male / Female??

If your boy is neutered it is unlikely you'd have problems with either gender. Our house is currently testosterone filled with 3 intact males (including my husband), one neutered male & two spayed bitches (including myself). ;)

thanks so much for your reply, it is good to know that all your men get on so well. Our dog is still intact and my husband is adament that he is staying that way for a while yet.. I think he feels his pain!!

George said:
I think he feels his pain!!

:lol: Yeah, I think that is a common problem.

Honestly, I can't speak with any authority regarding the Cavaliers because we only adopted Sonny about 2 months ago & have only had Beau for 4 weeks. However, we never had any problems with our intact Boxer males. Any fights we had to break up was always with the females. 365 days of the year they'd be best buddies, and then on the 366th, there'd be this god awful blew :yikes

Anyway, I am sure the many Cavalier owners on this list will be able to give you a more educated answer about this particular breed & gender wars.

If you're thinking of an older cavalier you should put in an application with Karlin. We recently adopted 2 little girls from Karlin and couldn't be happier. We already had a 12 year old female and at the start she wasn't too happy with her new sisters but she is fine with now (ignore them mostly :roll: ). They are all spayed.

I have three males, all nuetered and a little pup female. The boys all got on fine, they were really best buds. We never had any issues at all, except Cody was a bit defensive over his toys.

When we introduced Zoey, the entire dynamic of the group changed. She and Cody are only three months apart (which is hard to believe because he is DOUBLE her size) and they are now inseperable. Cavaliers don't seem to apply to the general gender rules because they are so loving. They really know their own, no matter the sex. :D

I getting excited now at the prospect of it - I have put a request in with Karlin so hopefully we'll hear soon - only e-mailed her yesterday..

Back