PDA

View Full Version : New Board: Important!

Karlin
9th April 2007, 04:01 AM
Hi folks and welcome to your new board.:)

I am sorry the board has been down but it took a bit of time for me to manage the transfer, and then a couple of tries before everything more or less transferred properly. On the second try I finally got all the users imported correctly, which was my main desire, and most threads, though inexplicably some seem to have been dropped -- threads in the Getting Started and Bruce's breeder forum (though not the main threads!) and random threads elsewhere but nothing that I could really notice. I am sure others will find a thread they were following is now gone and I cannot explain why... suffice to say *91,000* posts transferred. :o Which should be more than enough for anyone.:cool:

You MAY need to ask to have a new password sent in order to log in -- I am not sure if the new board was able to transfer passwords, but it looks like it is working as I've seen some people back online already.

It did NOT transfer avatar links. Because the space for avatars is now a small horizontal bar at the top of posts rther than a large rectangle at the side, avatars need to be resized to a much smaller size -- 125 pixels max width and 75 pixels max height. I haven;t even figured out yet what will work best to get them small, but I can probably find an auto resize programme for this new board software -- just haven't had time yet.However you can also upload a profile picture of yourself or your dogs and will be able to upload a large pic (or maybe several, depending on how I get things to work) in the section called Member Profiles. These are the Zoints software programme profiles where you will be able to have your own dog blog, message each other, have 'friends' as on social network sites etc. At the moment it is turned off but I hope to have it running in the next couple of days. You can put lots of personal info in these profiles -- quotes you like, favourite links, your dog library, whatever you want to do. Ypou also have a default regular profile -- people can go there for more info or you'll also see if you click on Member List that all the info and a userpic shows up there too.

There are a lot more things you can do on this board, but also some limitations (eg you cannot put really large numbers of images, whether they be smilies or image links, into a post -- more than 10. I know some folks liked to use lots and lots of smilies in a single post... but this is actually draining on the board's functionality and bandwidth when all on one single post, so this software limits them).

Basically have a look around and try out the various features. You will see we now have a calendar and anyone can post a cavalier-related event there, be it a walk, a show, a fundraiser, a group playdate for board members. Please keep events to something dog/cavalier related though, or I will have to have the calendar on moderation. If yu add yur birthday to your profile it also will display on the calendar (it also displays on the board main page. Warning -- it will also show your AGE if you add the year of birth!). Ypu can check out what the little board icons mean (regarding posts etc) at the bottom of each page -- you can see the threads you've posted into, for example.

I will be fine tuning in the coming days. Basically this is phase one of the overhaul of CavalierTalk -- next, the Library items will go into a parent website and the board will actuall be a separte link. But for now, going to the old url will bring you here.

Now I am going to bed as it is 3:30am and it has taken me two days to get this working. :cool:

PS I notice a few smilies didn;t transfer either, such as the sleepy guy, but I'll be adding those back in as well when I get the chance. And yes, I know a few of my posts say my name is 'imported_karlin'; that was supposed to totally go away when I merged two user accounts needed for transferring the board, but seems not to in thread headers.

K.

Lani
9th April 2007, 05:10 AM
Thank you Karlin for all your hard work to make the Board even better for all of us! It's great. Definitely worth the wait. :-)

Kodee
9th April 2007, 06:53 AM
I always feel disorientated with new layouts for a while but it will definately be worth it - great new features!

Caraline
9th April 2007, 07:00 AM
Thank you Karlin. You must have worked like a Trojan to get this all converted. Enjoy your sleep. http://users.bigpond.net.au/fiorfein/emoticons/sleep1.gif

katc10
9th April 2007, 08:03 AM
Is there a trick when posting now if you want to insert images or text edits or smileys? I'm not seeing any of this anymore when I post.

Caraline
9th April 2007, 08:09 AM
Is there a trick when posting now if you want to insert images or text edits or smileys? I'm not seeing any of this anymore when I post.

Yeah. Go to your Profile - Edit Options http://board.cavaliertalk.com/profile.php?do=editoptions then scroll down to Message Editor Interface and change it from Basic Editor to Enhanced Editor - WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

:D

katc10
9th April 2007, 08:12 AM
There we go, that's better! Thanks! :D

Claire L
9th April 2007, 10:16 AM
Congratulations Karlin!!
The new board is just fantastic. I look forward to navigating my way around it . Thank you for all the hard work you've put into this :mexwav: I was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms yesterday and kept checking the site every few hours :lol:

I'm like a kid in a toy store now.......

:flwr: :flwr: :hug:

Bet
9th April 2007, 10:23 AM
Just seeing if I can manage!!!!
Bet

tuna
9th April 2007, 10:33 AM
excellent work! I suspected you'd be switching to vBulletin!

Lynn
9th April 2007, 11:40 AM
Karlin, THANK YOU so much!!! I thought of you many times over the weekend working hard at the transfer and hoping that it was going well. I hope you know how much we all appreciate this forum. I excited to go look around!

Karlin
9th April 2007, 11:44 AM
OK, I have discovered that the board resizes small avatars! I don't know about larger ones. If you use Flickr, the thumbnail or square sizes are the right sizes for avatar images.

Edited to add: yes, you can use a larger pic as long as it is under the maximum file size -- it resizes the image to the size you see on my posts.

Vickie
9th April 2007, 12:11 PM
Wow Karlin great job thank you!

I've been offline for the past few weeks, this is going to take some getting used to - can't wait to learn all of the new features!

Maxxs_Mummy
9th April 2007, 12:46 PM
Very posh too :D Thanks Karlin, you've obviously had a busy Easter :D

Jen
9th April 2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks Karlin, it will be fun poking around checking out all the new features!

sannie
9th April 2007, 01:24 PM
i had been trying all weekend but i suspected that you may have been working HARD on the new board! It looks great so I'll have to explore more later on today....

Bruce H
9th April 2007, 02:09 PM
Karlin, the new board looks GREAT!!! You must have had quite a weekend. Can't wait to start exploring.

enchantingdragon
9th April 2007, 02:20 PM
Your back at last! I was going through withdrawal!! I cant wait to test out the new boards Thanks for all the hard work as always

moniechris
9th April 2007, 02:28 PM
Thank goodness!! I was going through MAJOR Cavalier withdrawl!! The site looks GREAT Karlin!! Thank you for all your efforts! I hope everyone had a happy easter!!

Cicero's Mummy
9th April 2007, 03:42 PM
Why is my avatar not showing up... i uploaded one and it shows in profiles, but it doesn't show up in posts??

anniespeeps
9th April 2007, 03:52 PM
Why is my avatar not showing up... i uploaded one and it shows in profiles, but it doesn't show up in posts??

I don't see an option to add an avatar. All I see is the option for a profile picture.

Dave

Cicero's Mummy
9th April 2007, 03:56 PM
Hmmm... karlin said something about being able to add and avatar... hmmm maybe i misunderstood...

anniespeeps
9th April 2007, 03:59 PM
Hmmm... karlin said something about being able to add and avatar... hmmm maybe i misunderstood...

She has one, so I assume there's a way to do it. I just can't figure out how. :confused:

Cicero's Mummy
9th April 2007, 04:00 PM
I just re-read her post... the softward has yet to be loaded...

blue_star
9th April 2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks Karlin! Great new board!! b*n*n*
The best thing I love it a spell checker at last, as I am dreadful. Unless I didn't spot the the on the old board which could be highly possible. :rolleyes: :sl*p:

Hope you put your feel up now for a nice cup of tea or your preferred tipple lol

anniespeeps
9th April 2007, 04:30 PM
I just re-read her post... the softward has yet to be loaded...

That could be the reason. I guess I skimmed that paragraph. Leave it to the English major to fail in reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

nangel519
9th April 2007, 04:36 PM
The site looks great Karlin. I can't believe you took so much time to upgrade it.

Now I'm off to figure it out!

Karlin
9th April 2007, 04:37 PM

There are spaces for two pics in your default profile section on the User CP link at top left of menu bar -- the 'profile' picture is in your profile, but you can also put in an avatar, which shows in the avatar space of posts as a small image. Right now the only profile working is the default board pic but shortly you will have a more detailed Zoints profile *(in Member Profiles and also linked from the right hand side of your posts) where if you want, you can create a personal page. Of course you can use either profile or none. Some of the basic info you entered in your old profile is stuff that transferred into y our new basic profile though and everyone has at least some info in the default profile anyway.

Thanks all for your comments. I am still adjusting settings and so on so expect small changes and fixes to things like the header image, which isn;t yet how I want it.

There is a FAQ on how do do things at the top left of the menu bar and that should answer most questions. The best way to figure things out is

1) first read thru the FAQ link which goes thru all the features
2) try clicking into the different sections and checking out what you can do.

It took me quite a while to figurte out why various problems cropped up in my first trial transfers of an older database to a test board but it actually took just two tries to do the real transfer. The first attmept ran into problems though when I redid a section and then inadvertantly duplicated 300 members, each one twice, so some of you were in as three memberships. :o Then I had to start all over even after spending an hour transferring the 91,000 board posts. :mad:

I can see the missing threads from Bruce's forum and Getting Started are actually still there somewhere, but aren't showing, so I'll see if I can figure out why.

Meanwhile I have pinched a nerve in my lower back as of noon today, so am on painkillers and limping around slowly but fortunately can still walk the dogs and work at the Mac! :dogwlk:

Cicero's Mummy
9th April 2007, 06:38 PM
Ah HAH! Got it... now I just need to figure out which photo to use!

Remali
9th April 2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks Karlin, the new board looks great!!

Remali
9th April 2007, 07:06 PM
Just playing around with the font colors and smilies.....nice! :dogwlk:

Davy
9th April 2007, 07:43 PM
Thank you Karlin, love the look of the new board and the new features

Donna27
9th April 2007, 08:38 PM
Wow new board looks great Karlin!! I didnt know what to do without the board this weekend, I realized how much I've been going to it! It'll take me awhile to navigate the new system, but great job and thanks for all your hard work!! :)

lady and amber
9th April 2007, 08:56 PM
Love the board can now add photo`s direct from own computer

inca
9th April 2007, 09:02 PM
wow this looks fab Karlin

Julie S
9th April 2007, 09:05 PM
Major withdrawal here. ;)

But thanks for all the hard work!

misty
9th April 2007, 09:12 PM
Thank you very much, Karlin. :)

The new board looks great and I can't wait to have an explore properly. You've obviously worked very hard for all of us and we appreciate it. xxx

natalieandmike
9th April 2007, 10:23 PM
Fabulous new board,even from me, a jaded Gen X'er.... please do be careful with your back. I'm glad to see your hard work is appreciated by all! -Natalie

Remali
9th April 2007, 10:39 PM
Hope your back is getting better Karlin, I had some back troubles many years ago and I know how totally miserable it is.

I am just lovin' the new board, the new features are great!!!

:rah:

Yaron
10th April 2007, 12:35 AM
Dear Karlin,

I actually got a little concerned as I didn't know about this new board maint.

I kept checking the board until earlier today I was amazed by the new look of Cavalier talk.

I have to say thank you for this board. It's such a great resource and alot of fun to share with everyone our passion for these angel-like dogs.

Thank you for doing such a great job, the best reward is probably how lively and busy this place is!!!

Best regards,

Yaron
Jerusalem

Crittercall
10th April 2007, 01:20 AM
At least I'm not the only one who was going through withdrawals. I'm such a stick in the mud; change always messes me up! But I will persevere and maybe with a bit of help from others will be up to speed in no time!

Thanks for the hard work, Karlin.

duncans_ma
10th April 2007, 03:41 AM
Just giving it a first post....

nlg679
10th April 2007, 04:45 AM
Karlin,
Looks great! Love the changes...change is good!

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

murphy's mum
10th April 2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks so much Karlin, your hard work is very much appreciated:flwr:

Karen S.
10th April 2007, 03:58 PM
Thank you for all your hard work!

Ginger's Mom
11th April 2007, 04:23 AM
I love the new board!!! Thank you Karlin~!

freesia
11th April 2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks Karlin for your hardwork, going to have a look at it all now.

Moviedust
12th April 2007, 10:58 PM
Just wanted to add my thanks for the new board. I cant imagine the time and effort involved to transition everything over!

All the new features are great, though like others I'm still figuring them out. It will be really cool when the new profile options are up and running. It will change the dimensions of member communications!

Cathy T
13th April 2007, 03:10 AM
Okay...now I'm starting to really love this board...now that I've begun to figure it out ;) I'm one of those that hates change...and resisit it kicking and screaming. Then look back and think "that wasn't so bad" :D I'm loving it!!

Forest
14th April 2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks Karlin for all of your hard work. Now I have gotten myself registered and can post again I can get used to using the new format.
Thanks again
Julie and the girls

Karlin
14th April 2007, 02:40 PM
Note I have created a forum for asking questions and offering tips on any aspect of using the board; it is in the very top section of the board. Also, your Member Pages are activated so you can start setting those up if you want to use one. There's a bit more info up in the Board Questions forum.