• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New puppy

quoman

Hi everyone, well its finaly arrived and we have our beautiful blenheim Charlie, I'll post some pics when I've learned how to do it !, he has an almost pure white face and he's lovely, however, we've had him for a week now and all he wants to do is growl, bite, chew and bark, is there something we should be doing to calm him down, at times its not that funny !!!
Please some advise

I can't wait to see a white faced Cavalier!! I hope you figure out the picture posting soon!!:D

As for his growling and biting, that is what pups do as they figure out their voices and their rank in the home. When he bites your hands during play, I would say a firm "no bite", put him down and ignore him until he is calm. That may mean putting him in a "time-out" because a lot of times he will chase you and think it is a fun game. You could also substitute your hands for a toy so he knows what is appropriate to chew on. Good Luck!!

Regarding biting, one recommendation I've heard about and used with success is that any time their teeth touch your skin, give out a nice loud howl of pain (whether or not you actually feel pain), so that they get the message that they should not touch you with their teeth. It startles them and they get the message fairly quickly, especially if you do it each and every time. This supposedly somewhat mirrors the way they learn the limits of interaction with their siblings and mom.

You didnt mention how old Charlie is. Kodee at 8wks to 10 was pretty much sleeping (and wanting to be held) or nippling toes with some mouthing on hands. At 10 wks on, that esculated to a bit of rough play with the mouthing and eating our ankles. We did the ahahs and they worked a bit. I found if she was excited and overly rough to stand up, ignore her worked or to just turn my back to her and leave the room helped. But mostly at the 12-15 wks point the best thing I did, was keep a toy tied to a long old leash handy - she got excited when a new person (could be a family member she hadnt seen for a whole hr :rolleyes: ) very exciting and would attack them with jumping, nipping toes etc.. So we just dragged it behind us, she attacked it and then calmed down so a nice hello could be said. Also I kept treats handy in a little dish in every room, so I could ask her to sit and reward. Sometimes making them think tires them out faster.

OH goody a new puppy. I can't wait to get my new puppy. I've never owned a Cavalier before but have heard great things about them. I can't wait to see pics of your new baby!! :)

Congratulations on the new puppy. :dogwlk:

all he wants to do is growl, bite, chew and bark, is there something we should be doing to calm him down, at times its not that funny !!!
Please some advise

Like others have said, this is quite normal for a young puppy. This is what he did with his litter mates, as play and to work out his positioin in the pack. The yelping works, but my favourite approach is a sharp "uh!" The "uh!" noise initially startles them, but they get to understand it as "stop doing whatever it is you are doing". I can't use "no" because our puppy is Beau. Okay, so you do the sharp "uh!" and if he stops biting you say "good boy" and pat him. If he does not stop then you do the sharp "uh!" again and place him on the ground, and ignore him. Look away from him, and shun him.

Be patient though as he is only little and up to date this has been his main source of play & communicating. Gentle but firm & consistent is the key.

Most of all, enjoy! :D

Back