• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Stores

Gingers Mommy

Yesterday we went into this cute little pet shop and they had 2 blenheim pups, brother & sister in the window. They were too cute so we had to play with them. The girl at the store told me that they were AKC registered and gave me the dam & sires names (I told her I was considering so she let us play with them but from all ive read you DONT buy from pet shops). Basically she tried to convince me that the whole thing was Kosher- that they get puppies from this woman that checks her dogs and shes a qualified breeder and they only get puppies(all types) from 5 breeders and she would come with papers- and that I could show her and breed her.
Are all pet stores like that? Do they all just say anything to make you buy the dog? I felt so bad for that little girl, I hate to think someones going to buy her and breed her and know NOTHING about doing that. Obviously we didnt buy her. I just have this sad feeling.....There was another couple in there looking at the boy, and they were first time dog owners (perspective) and I told them discretly not to buy from that store...i hope that wasnt wrong of me. I just feel strongly that from everything ive learned pet stores are not the right place to go.
Sorry if this was a long winded pointless post!
sorry kinda weird post I guess but I wanted to share.

What kind of breeder (even if the pet store doesn't use brokers) would want some kid in a store selling their pup to whomever had enough space on their credit card?

Ditto to the above...

And furthermore... who puts a dog on a credit card... IMHO you shouldn't go into debt for a puppy!!

I hate it when the pushy sales boy/girl says there is credit plans and payment plans availble! (I used to go to Petland to play with the puppies, but not anymore, I don't want anyone associating me with a puppymill too!).

I know.....
She told me that they would charge me less if I paid cash. The worst part was that someone who doesnt know anything can buy this pup and not have it spayed and then it'll have puppies.....
I got Ginger from a good breeder thats known and found her on the AKC website. I wouldnt do it any other way.

i know it is soooo sad to see the puppies there. DH and i have browsed those pet stores too... one time, we saw a cutey Blenheim boy and i was sooo sad about it. we were curious and asked about the cost... they were selling him for the same price qualified and reputable ny/nj breeders ask for. i couldn't believe it.

i really wish something could be done about pet stores, puppy mills, etc... it's so heartbreaking to think of the conditions these puppies are being born into. i think it's good you told the other couple your opinion!!

Is it possible that there may a few (very few) pet shops that do purchase their dogs from breeders and the puppies are indeed AKC registered? I mean, I do hope that there are a few good pet shops out there. But, I don't know, the more I hear, the more I wonder...

Ditto to the above...

And furthermore... who puts a dog on a credit card... IMHO you shouldn't go into debt for a puppy!!

I hate it when the pushy sales boy/girl says there is credit plans and payment plans availble! (I used to go to Petland to play with the puppies, but not anymore, I don't want anyone associating me with a puppymill too!).

I put everything on a credit card-- I have cards that give 1-5% discounts, it is easier to track business expenses, 30 days interest free on your money etc... Sandy

Thanks merdie, I thought I did the right thing too, I told them Id meet them outside the store and I started on my CKCS rant about not buying in pet shops, MVD & SM and the whole lot! My husband was like they probably think your NUTS. They def were asking around the same price as a reputable breeder.
Renee- I too wonder if its possible, unfortunatly I dont think so, I think I read somewhere in the breeders code of ethics they are not to sell to pet stores....
Any breeders want to chime in?!

I know in the CKC code of ethics it says somewhere that you cannot knowingly sell to a pet store...

On a completely unrelated note,--my parents put part of my brother's college tuition on a credit card...it paid for most of their Cadillac! (back when the GM card was a pretty good deal). Hee hee! (of course they just paid everything off at the end of the month). So, credit cards aren't ALL bad... just if they get you in trouble. I can't live without AMEX or Neiman's. -Natalie
PS Ginger's mommy...you go girl. I'm proud of you.

Thanks Natalie! I knew I read that somewhere as well.
On your other completley unrelated note ;)
My husband makes me put any LARGE purchases (just started re-doing the house) on his Amex (I never signed up for one bc I couldnt rationalize paying to have a c/c!) but he still kept his, so now we use that to get the miles on the big purchases! I know plenty people that did college tuition on theirs.

Raven,

I put Kosmo on a credit card :) I would have put Faith on it too if I could have.. I get points! ;)

Oh, i understand the rewards and points and stuff... I am just saying all too often people go into DEBT to buy a puppy mill dog... it is sad...

edited to clarify: I too put things on my card because it gets hubby "Cabela's Points" but I won't go into DEBT for things. :) I am not saying it is bad to use a credit card to get the points!! I am saying it is bad to go into DEBT. :)

Last edited:
I too put everything on a credit card. I have "bought" my parents free tickets from England to Florida with the points I earn. I must admit though I did not put Maddy on it, but only because the breeder did not take credit cards!
Pam

For those of you engaged females out there, a great trick that I learned is that you put EVERYTHING for the wedding on a credit card with miles rewards (only what you can pay off of course), and you can fly to your honeymoon destination for free :D :D :D

Guys I know what you're all talking bout...I'm sorry to say that my store is just like that...I know we don't get our pups from actual breeders. But their not from puppy mills but some stores do... But unlike most stores we don't sell dogs to just any who can afford it...We do background check to make sure that there are people home, do they have other dogs, or any other things that might pretain to the safety and security of our lil pups...If and only if they meet the majority of our critiria dog we allow them to take home the kid....but from what I've seen and heard from people and other stores they pretty much say "Here's your dog, good luck and so long!", but we're no where near that! We re-check up on the pups everday for the 1st week of going home...Then once more after the 1st week...

We take extreme pride in oue pups making sure that they are clean, healthy, eating, and very HAPPY!!!! Where I've seen some other stores that the dogs look sad, dirty, and very lonely.... But I can see where the majority of you can be worried...I'm worried bout every1 of the dogs that aren't in our store

The place we buy our food from sells puppies, and kitties, and all the rodents and what not. They don't have rows and rows of them, but any given weekend there'll be a cocker or two and some mutts for sale, and a couple litters of kittens.

Being in the country, we've had a couple cases of accidental kitty litters. Those of you in the country know how you 'inherit' cats. :-(

On two occasions I've taken kittens to this store. I'm sure they pay something for the dogs, but I didn't get anything for the kittens. Obviously, some stores are different... but I try to think about the puppies in this store either being THERE, or at the pound.

KC

My local petland accepts dropped off pets, but it certainly isn't out of the goodness of their heart. When my hubby was in college, he worked there for about 2 months and quit because it was such a shady operation. People would come in and drop off "accidental" puppies and not ask any money for them, then the owner turned around and sold them for well over $500 a piece!!:mad: They would have "papers" because they could be registered with APRI or ACA.

He did the same for kittens. They are the exact same alley cat tabbies that you get at the pound but he charged $200!! They justified this price because you get a "kitten care pack" (which the pet store gets for free to market the food), vaccinations and a microchip. Again, you go to the pound and get the same deal for $50. I can't believe how many people fall for this garbage!!

My hubby once brought home a "teacup poodle" because it was so sick that they couldn't leave it alone in the store overnight. It was soooo small that my belief was that it was "teacup" because it could NOT have been older than 6 weeks old. The intention was to sell this baby for almost $2000!!!! We spent all night giving nutri-cal and spoon feeding this baby, who ended up dying the next day. I was horrified.

My hubby once brought home a "teacup poodle" because it was so sick that they couldn't leave it alone in the store overnight. It was soooo small that my belief was that it was "teacup" because it could NOT have been older than 6 weeks old. The intention was to sell this baby for almost $2000!!!! We spent all night giving nutri-cal and spoon feeding this baby, who ended up dying the next day. I was horrified.

I would have been HORRIFIED too and so upset!! I can't believe there are people out there who do this!

Our local Petland would sell 6 week old puppies, everytime I would go in I would ask them... "isn't that a law violation." The last time I went in and took some literature about how it was and they asked me not to come back to that location again! How 'wude! They were the ones in the wrong!!

In Florida, it is absolutely illegal to sell a pup under 8 weeks old. It is really common place for puppy mills to lie about their age to make more profit off of "teacup" puppies who are really just small because they are either under fed or too young. (Oh yeah, thats another trick, they under feed the babies to keep them small)

This is a great website that explains how puppy mills will lie about the age of their pups to ship them out faster:
http://www.nopuppymills.com/index.php?page=mondayspups

Back