• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lexie post spay (long)

Lexie

We took Lexie to be spayed and microchipped on Friday at 7:30 am. Everything went well and we picked her up that evening. They sent us home with some Rimadyl and a E-collar. I noticed she was still draining today so I ran her back up there for them to look at her. (I'm sure my file is marked neurotic dog owner) They said she looked fine but gave us some Amoxicillan to give her for a week. I don't understand why they did not send home antibiotics in the first place.
The paper E-collar only lasted a day, we have a houdini on our hands. She used her back legs to pop it off. lol
We had to go buy one of the inflatable E-collars.... so far, no escape.
Has anyone else had any problems keeping their pup from jumping and running around like a maniac? She misses her walkies. She has also started to hump one of her stuffed toys, is that normal??
453218018_d48be1ec28_m.jpg
453218028_3e2578590d_m.jpg
453218040_ee51dd58f9_m.jpg
453218060_da0070e62d_m.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lexie's Mom!

Hope your little one is up and around soon...it is very scary taking care of a bouncy little pup but I am glad to hear that the new e collar works....Did she stay just overnite? I am getting Katy spayed on the 24th and I am already agonizing over the operation....yes, we are neurotic but what is the alternative???
They do want to run around but hopefully they will rest as all of the anesthesia will take time to get out of the system.
I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way!

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

Heal up quickly Lexie

Has anyone else had any problems keeping their pup from jumping and running around like a maniac?

When ours need to be kept quiet post op we usually crate them but let them out for lots of little cuddles & pampering, so they don't feel too cheesed off at being in the crate for long periods. Visits outside are done on a lead so they don't run off & prance around.

She has also started to hump one of her stuffed toys, is that normal??

Yes, it is normal for young dogs (male & female, intact & spayed/neutered) to hump their pals, or if an only child then a toy. She is probably just dominating & keeping her plush toy in his place. :badgrin:

I actually kept Milly on a leash attached to my belt loop at times, as a way to keep her from running off somewhere and jumping, particularly once she was a few days out and feeling a whole lot better.

It is hard work for a few days to keep them quiet, and I do agree that crating them for periods of time can be a big help.

Glad that the inflatable e-collar is working! It's hard for them to get that velcro undone. :)

*splutters* Now there's a thought. Eww...

I put Amber in her x-pen, and then kept her closed in the living room, only taking her out for her loo breaks. My armchair is very low (and very old) so jumping on it wasn't a major problem- although obviously not desirable- and I folded the x pen flat and laid it against the sofa so she couldn't get up there. So long as there was a nice plush blankie/pillow beside the fire she was happy enough.

I actually kept Milly on a leash attached to my belt loop at times
I have her attached to me right now so I can have some computer time, she is not a happy camper. We have been taking her out on a leash today to go potty.

Lily is spayed and is a manic pillow humper.
LOL - I will keep an eye on my pillows.

I put Amber in her x-pen
I wish her x-pen was easy to take down. She has her own bedroom and where it is set up. We have it attached to a crate. I should have bought 2 x-pens.

Hope your little one is up and around soon...it is very scary taking care of a bouncy little pup but I am glad to hear that the new e collar works....Did she stay just overnite?
Thanks Nancy. She did not stay overnight. We dropped her off a 7:30 am, the vet called us around 12:30 pm to tell us she was waking up and doing well, they let us pick her up around 5:30 pm.

Back