PDA

View Full Version : Inguinal Hernia

coconut
10th April 2007, 12:35 PM
Has anyone ever had a dog or puppy with an inginal hernia?

Our new 11 week old pup baxter has a weakness and the vet thinks that it may develop into an inguinal hernia, i have being to the vets for a check 2 weeks running, she was pleased enough at our last appointment that it has not developed any further and we have to go back for a check up in 2 weeks again to see if there is any further development.

If anyone has had experience with this i would be grateful for any information or advise that you may have!!

Lani
10th April 2007, 12:56 PM
Lucky had one, but it was fixed when he was neutered. No issues here since. :-)

coconut
10th April 2007, 01:39 PM
so it was not a big operation?

Kodee
10th April 2007, 06:16 PM
Kodee was thought to have one but at 6 wks it was decided it was a umbillical hernia. But I did research on it and spoke to a few vets. Its a little bit more serious than an umbillical but usually no more of a problem to repair. Most are done at spay or neuter. You just watch them for size - if too large or red swelling they sometimes need to be repaired sooner. Its good to let your vet observe and make the call if its becoming a problem.

Nicki
11th April 2007, 08:35 AM
As Debbie says, it is a little more serious than an umbilical hernia, but is usually easily repaired.

I presume you are planning to have Baxter neutered anyway? Dogs or bitches with this problem should not be bred.

I hope it will not cause any problems and you can just enjoy your wee fellow growing up. :)

coconut
11th April 2007, 08:51 AM
Nicki- that is all i want to enjoy the lil boy growing up!! My other half is not into the neutering but i am getting both of my boys done!!

Thanks guys it puts my mind at rest, i know that he may have to be operated on but did know if it was going to be a big thing!! he is a really lil cutie and he is well able for his big brother!