• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sharing a Crate

Caraline

I'd like to hear your views on 2 dogs sharing a crate as opposed to each dog having his own. Sonny & Beau started off sleeping in separate crates but now that Beau is growing up and is less of an irritation (read that as does not chew Sonny's ears) I have been letting them sleep together, as this seems to be what they want.

In the past all our Boxers liked sleeping together & of their own choice 4 of them :eek: would cram into 1 crate, leaving 3 empties.

Anyway, I've just been thinking about it and don't want to get caught up in "oh we have always done it that way" mentality, and am now wondering if there is any disadvantage in allowing them to share, as opposed to enforcing a 1 dog 1 crate rule.

What do you think?

The only disadvantage I can think of Caraline is that for any later occasions where they NEED to stay in crate alone they may become more lonely then if they slept in seperate crates all the time. Other then that, if they get along then thats great! :D

Our boys share a crate. I am sure this probably creates a dependancy on each other that may be viewed by some as unhealthy...but I feel that because they are so close in age and will be spending the majority of their lives joined at the hip (god-willing) then why not let them be together.

We do take special care to do things with them separately...take them places by themselves....if we have two cars one goes with me the other with hubby so that they do have some independence.

Just sharing our situation...I am not sure you can go wrong if it works for you and and yours.

Thanks guys.

Yeah I make sure we do things separate on occasions too. They kind of feel special I think, occasionally going on a walk one on one. Also Beau will soon be going to puppy classes as an individual. I also sometimes put one on his own in the crate through the day if the need arises. That is a good point you make there anyway about the dependence.

Mine will both share or sleep alone -- when they are boarded they have done both and all three sleep together on a bed in a single kennel when I leave them in kennels. I think the problem is more if you only ever have them together and crate together, from puppyhood onward -- I've seen some pretty anxious adult dogs that almst cannot function if the other dog isn't within sight. Generally it is good to crate train each dog, but after that, if they are trustworthy together, then why not put them together? I don't know if I would crate two dogs together when I was out -- I have seen the best of friends go for each other under certain circumstances and there would always be some risk which would be slightly heightened by them being in a tiny space. I'd happily leave all three of mine together in a room for the day for example, but wouldn't crate them together for a day. I'd crate them all to sleep together at night though (if I crated).

i have one huge crate and one teeny one .......the teeney one is designed so that if one wants their own spave they can have it the huge one will fit 10 cavaliers but they all try and cram in the teeny one LOL
as this pcture shows

all5.jpg

That picture is hilarious - cavs are such friendly creatures!

Molly + Bella are crated together and have no problems - its an XL crate so they have plenty of room to be on their own but usually they sleep on top of one another. I do remove all chew toys if left in their crate during the day as there is the occasional growl if one wants something the other one has. They get their stuffed kongs in their crate and have other toys (which they don't play with) which works fine.

I do plan to start seperating them one night a week to start off though as Bella in particular is very dependent on Molly. I don't want to get into a situation where they cannot function on their own.

I think it's nice to let them have the choice. I'd leave both crates available for them and, if they want to cuddle up and share one, that's fair enough.

We only have 2 crates and 4 cavs, so they have to share anyway ... but we 'mix up' the dog/crate combinations, really depending on their needs on the day.

eg if oldie Kevin wants some peace, Bradley is his best companion, leaving the 2 maniacs to share the other crate :).

In the house, ours have the choice of using a crate or not. Often Cailean and Jems will take themselves off into the crate if we're out and fall asleep. The other 2 prefer the comfort of the sofas! ;)

Hey, thanks everyone :thnku: I think I will leave things as they are then. My guys are only crated during the night when we are sleeping as I have a safe enclosed area for when we are away from the house.

Inca, that is a hillarious picture of your.... er.... how many is it in there.... four? Reminds me of how the Boxers were. That sure is a pretty crate and what a great design with that side opening.

Back