PDA

View Full Version : Spaniel Bowls?

Holly
11th April 2007, 09:35 PM
Does anyone use a "Spaniel bowl" for a water dish? Oliver's ears get really wet at the bottoms in a regular bowl. I believe the Spaniel bowl is designed smaller at the top to prevent this from happening. I saw one at Petsmart a while back but haven't seen them since!

inca
11th April 2007, 10:27 PM
yes i use them ....they are great :)

gramercy girl
11th April 2007, 11:10 PM
yes this happens with the magsters too sometimes... where can you get these now?

Holly
12th April 2007, 12:42 AM
I just looked and you can get them online through Petsmart. I was just at the store and they didn't have any in-stock here.

IsabellaBugatti
12th April 2007, 03:12 AM
Just a word of wisdom...I bought spaniel bowls for bella and they were HUGE. I would make sure of the size before you order them, or your dog will look at you like this:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/102/363123328_3dbef54eb5.jpg

True, Bella was only about 12 wks old in that photo, but that bowl is still too big for her. :)

Kodee
12th April 2007, 04:26 AM
Kodee has a ceramic one and its 5" wide. Perfect for water. I would love it if she ate her food in one too, but its kind of scary to her to put her nose is something smaller at top to get to the very bottom for food. We still use a low, flat cat dish for her meals. Mind you today out of exasperation over her meal fussiness increasing due to adult teeth coming in, I just dumped the food on her plastic tray mat. Well it worked, its the first time she has eaten a full meal in wks! Arg but what a mess - feet, ears :o

casshon
12th April 2007, 08:08 AM
The non-tip travel bowls are great for water - their ears don't get wet ;)

Caraline
12th April 2007, 09:01 AM
I use china bowls that have straight sides, and have a width that the dogs can easily get their face into it, but their ears lay outside of the bowl. When we got Beau (the puppy) I started feeding him out of a tiny souffle bowl, then he graduated to a slightly bigger one, and now he is eating out of a small dog dish. I just keep changing the size to fit the face. We never have mucky ears.

Those very popular metal dishes that have sloping sides really annoy me. When the dogs are trying to get their food, it all slides up the sides & out onto the floor. The bowls that have the straight sides never do that.

*Pauline*
12th April 2007, 10:14 AM
I do the same as Caraline, we don't have dirty ears. :D Dylan's bowl is a tiny cat bowl.

natalieandmike
12th April 2007, 12:52 PM
ha, Teri, I love your picture! We also have 'cat-sized' bowls; actually, I didn't know they were for cats, just seemed like the right size. It's a sloped metal bowl but just large enough to hold a cup of food or so. Bianca's ears don't really seem to get in it. She manages to get her ears in everything ELSE though..:o-Natalie

gramercy girl
12th April 2007, 11:22 PM
Oh gosh Teri, i love that picture!!!!!!! poor baby.... but her expression is just classic. "mommy, what's going on here? this is NOT going to work!!" :rotfl:

Holly
13th April 2007, 01:21 AM
That picture is adorable! I guess I will have to make sure to get the right size!

cavlover
14th April 2007, 02:15 PM
Just a word of wisdom...I bought spaniel bowls for bella and they were HUGE. I would make sure of the size before you order them, or your dog will look at you like this:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/102/363123328_3dbef54eb5.jpg

True, Bella was only about 12 wks old in that photo, but that bowl is still too big for her. :)

:rotfl: :rotfl: That picture is too funny

Karlin
14th April 2007, 02:22 PM
I use cat food bowls for feeding. The problem with most spaniel bowls (for my crew) is that they are designed for cockers on up and are often too big for cavaliers, especially for feeding. So it helps if you can see them in a shop. I have seen many of the breeders complain they cannot get spaniel bowls small enough for cavaliers!

I got a great no-spill plastic water bowl called I think the Buddy Bowl -- I actually took out the funnel bit that makes it really no spill (you can turn it upside down when full and the water will not spill out! There are three parts to the bowl and you can just leave out the middle funnel if you want). It cost about $18. It is very hard to open though so I tend to shake it empty, give a rinse then refill (sans the middle funnel part).

The main reason I got it was because my cat Ambrose loves to scoop out all the water in an open bowl and slash it all over the floor. :( :rolleyes: Thus making a huge mess!! The new bowl is perfect for both dogs and cats though intiially it looked way too big. I had a homemade one -- a container with a circle cut in the center of the lid -- but it had snapped so needed something new. This one is going to survive WWIII it is so sturdy.

Karlin
14th April 2007, 02:23 PM
This is it: http://store.worldpetstore.com/orbudbow.html

Holly
14th April 2007, 02:41 PM
That will be perfect! Thanks, Karlin!

Claire L
14th April 2007, 08:59 PM
This is it: http://store.worldpetstore.com/orbudbow.html

Delighted to see this. We have a champion bowl bopper in our house.
Minnie bops her bowl when we leave to go out or she just gets a little icon_devil in her and decides for no reason that we need the floor washed :rolleyes:
Just yesterday I was sitting at the kitchen table and witnessed her in action; I had the water bowl on a mat up against the wall and she put her paw on the rim of the bowl, then, I could hear her grasping it with her nails and she drew it towards herself. I called her away immediately but couldn't help laughing at her antics.

The buddy bowl sounds like the perfect solution :thnku:

Karlin
17th April 2007, 02:44 PM
For water spillers you'd want to keep the funnel bit in -- I mainly just need a good broad rim to keep Ambrose from scooping out the water.:rolleyes: Amazon sells the bowl I think as well so you can read some reviews there. It is really hard to open the bowl, you have to kind of work it around the edges to open, but it is totally spillproof even if flipped. I ordered mine from a different site than the one I linked tyo but cannot remember who it was.