• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kongs: Deemed Unhealthy for Cavaliers

mcaninelove

According to a breeder I talked to, Kongs (the toys that you can stuff treats in for your dog to try and get) are bad for cavaliers as cavaliers have "fragile lips" and would bite said fragile lips when trying to get the treat. Personally, I doubt that's true, but I'd like a confirmation. Anyone else ever hear of this?

rotflmbo---we have had no problems with kongs or nylabones. These are dogs. (as pups) They will chew through anything if given enough time.

laugh_rotfl.gif
My Cavaliers don't have fragile lips.

Oh that's a new one on me! Never heard that before:rotfl:Be sure you don't tell Jake and Shelby they have "fragile lips":roll:

Hmmm....that's got to be one of the wildest things I've heard lately :sl*p:

Geesh. The only time that I EVER noticed "fragile lips" was when Cody's were swollen to size of a grape fruit when he got stung by a bee!!:lol: Perhaps Zoey's sharp little teeth biting on his muzzle have helped "toughen" them up :D

um I know cavaliers are special, but please, fragile lips? :rolleyes: Besides if something hurt to chew, the dog would be less than enthusiastic to mouth it!

I have experienced that Digby sometimes gets a sore mouth when he chews on his kongs around the lip fold margins. However Digby is prone to infection in this area and has had lip fold surgery so even without the kong he gets sore lips. Not sure I would deem them fragile though ??

Hmmmm ... perhaps the breeders dogs have a sensitivity similar to Digby's or there is some medical reason her dogs in particular should not have kongs?

It doesn't make any sense to me either. There are some things that puppies should not chew of course ... shoes, furniture & power cables come to mind ... But Kongs? And why them specifically? Puppies will chew A LOT & it's best to give them something you want them to chew and something safe for them that they cannot swallow and have become lodged their stomachs. From everything I've heard Kongs meet this requirement very well ... I don't think Lucky has sensitive lips though. ;)

Back