• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is this x pen any good?

For some reason I can't display the website, might just be my internet. Well what you really need are nice tall walls, nothing they can jump over! If Ollie reaches up he can get his feet at the top of his x-pen and it's about a metre tall I think. Give them some space but not too much, they don't really run around and play little games in the x-pens from my experience. Hope I helped! :)

The site isn't displaying, so i can't see the item, but unless it's covered, like a large crate, Dylan will probably climb out of it.

In the days before I got crates, Izzy ,as a puppy, had a pen made from garden trellis panels. Time to put it away was when he climbed out; which he did at quite young age.

The site is not showing for me either.

If I recall correctly Pauline you are pretty handy, I think I remember you re-doing your floor in your living room.

Anyway my hubby made this xpen for Dudley out of trelis it was much less expensive than buying one.

We had a piece of lineleoun that we placed on the floor, just to give you an idea.

dudleyspen.jpg

dudleyspen2.jpg

I remember that pen well, with envy, it's lovely. Does your husband fancy coming to England for a short "break"! I can't use a saw so I couldn't make that. :dogwlk:

Last edited:
Both pens would be very easy for an adult cavalier to climb out of; plenty of footholds. An easy climb could also encourage a dog to try harder barriers.

Pauline

I also have 4 of those xpens for outside when we go north.

At the moment I have them in my backyard, as here in Toronto at the moment we have tons of muck in the backyard stops the boys from getting into it and then bringing it in the house.:) :) :)

They are good, I join mine all together and make an area for the boys to play in. Although they would much rather be sitting with us on the deck and sit and look at us with the saddest faces as if I have put them in prison.

They are quite pricey over in England, I got all of mine for just over $130.00 Cdn mine are 36" high.

My boys don't climb out of them.

They also sell the white plastic type, I will see if I can find the link for you.:) :)

Most people use that type of xpen with success. It depends on the dog whether they will climb out - most dont, but some are monkeys- Kodee can be a horse though ;)

The one in the picture is also very high(48"); ours like that is only 24" tall and has kept kodee who is now 4.5 mths. However, I took mine apart and attached with clips one side the crate and I bring it around and clip the other side to a wall - it makes a cornered off area. That left me a whole side which I use in a "z" effect to block off front door and stairs, plus I move it about sometimes for other areas.

HOWEVER this morning my husband left for work and I was upstairs - she wanted to see me pretty bad as I found her whining at the bottom of the stairs on the other side - gate totally not disrupted an inch. But when Kodee wants to see me nothing is standing in her way. With the hall set up if she really wants out she will do a run jump - but in the crate kitchen set up she does not have enough room and they shake a bit which deters climbing. A 36-48" should be fine for most.

Luckily neither of mine is inclined to escape an x-pen. Have had plenty of visitors who hop right over them though. I think the ones I use are 36" high. But then....remember Jake was the one who couldn't figure out how to get past the tupperware containers to get out of the kitchen :eek:
HPIM2070.jpg

But then....remember Jake was the one who couldn't figure out how to get past the tupperware containers to get out of the kitchen :eek:
Because he respects his mommy's expectations and figures if you put them there he was to stay there!

I have one of the "baby" gates that is affixed to the door by tension only and could very easily be pushed out of the door jam. It is also only 28 inches high. It was in place when Buddy came home to us and he has never tried to push it over (and neither has Hadley who weighs 61 lbs). Both Buddy and Hadley wait patiently on the other side for us to come back. Even when they were younger and loved to torment the cat they would just stare at him through the gate. (y) It is more a psychological then a real barrier but it works for us I think in large measure because they know nothing different. On the other hand a couple weeks ago when we were at the Dog Park Buddy climbed up and balanced on all fours on the back of a bench trying to reach someone on the other side whom he thought might give him treats! :yikes (Needless to say we have had to "re-direct" big time from any further attempts at such balancing acts.) Bottom line: The x-ens may or may not work depending on your dog and training. Good luck!

I went with amazon.com to get an x-pen, they were much less expensive than most other places. I think Fiona's is 6X6, and 36 inches tall. She hasnt been able to escape yet, but she's definitely sneaky. We'll come home and find her sitting on top of her crate in her pen, scheming how to jump! Let me see if I can find a picture of it, and I'll post later.

Look forward to seeing that Donna. I'll take a look at Amazon now.

It's a little too late for this weekend. I'm pretty sad as my mum changed her mind about doggy sitting a bit late for me to make any other arrangements other than to ask my step mum. But my dad just told me off for asking her. So I miss my friends baptism tomorrow. I should have got the x pen sooner.

I do have a crate but I don't think it's nice to leave him all day in that even if he does get let out a couple of times. My dad (who is also my landlord) never fitted a proper kitchen in here so I put curtains up under the work tops. I think he would get to things or eat the curtains if I left him too long.
458163403_5ccf4fa99d.jpg

if that section is all your worried about and can gate the door etc.. then I have 2 ideas. In our laundry room I have a curtain instead of slider doors so to keep Kodee out of all the nice smelly shoes, we put a board (like plexiglass weight) side to side that goes about 2 ft up or use my xpen taken apart and just put against that wall in a z pattern infront of it.

I think I need to take a picture of this odd set up I have - will do soon.

Back