View Full Version : Advice please
13th April 2007, 07:27 PM
Hi all,I just need some advice Re:Lola please,
She is 7 months old now and i am wondering if she is just beginning her first season (period).
Anyway shes becomekind of emotional and clingy towards me.
Today she has been licking constantly and i noticed it looks a bit swollen down there although i haven't seen any blood.
Could this be it or is she too young? What else could it be?
Shes eating and drinking well
13th April 2007, 07:49 PM
Yes, it sounds quite likely that she's in the early stages of heat. You have described most of the signs. She's also at the right age.
13th April 2007, 08:19 PM
Sounds like she is going into heat. You might want to buy her some diapers to prepare though my girl did keep herself fairly clean..then again her over eager cleanliness also got her a case of the runs :o so you really cant win I guess :razz:
And no she isnt too young. My Ellie started right after she turned 7 months old and usually it can happen anywhere from 6-8 months
13th April 2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks alot for relpying.
Ah bless her.
First babygirl here we have always had male dogs but rang my mum who has girl dogs and she said yes it sounded like a season.
How long should it last?
Will it be heavy? is there anything i should be doing for Lola?
13th April 2007, 08:34 PM
She must be kept inside ALL the time for the next FOUR weeks (no walks, no trips to the park). You will need to keep all male dogs -- intact OR neutered - totally away from her -- if she is in the room, a male dog cannot be there. They must be isolated.
As noted you may want to get her special panties for this period as her blood may mark rugs, furniture etc.
You will now need to wait til about three months after her season to have her spayed if this was on your agenda.
If it wasn't: you would want to consider spaying her as she will always be at strong risk of getting pyometra after every cycle -- this is a very serious vaginal/womb infection that has a very high mortality rate and is one of the main reasons vets recommend spaying all pet female dogs. Also, because she will have had her first heat, she now has a 7% chance during her lifetime of mammary cancer. If you allow her to have a second heat, this will rise to a 25% chance. These are some of the strong health benefits that come from spaying and doing so as soon as you can -- so do consider the situation carefully.
I would strongly advise calling your vet to get specific advice on what exactly to do and watch for as she goes through her season if you are not familiar with a heat.
BTW she will likely attract any roaming male dogs so you may find you have dogs hanging around the house for the next four weeks, so watch the frnt door and any back access gates and so on. They will often do anything to get access to her during this time -- so even if she is out in a fenced garden someone should be out with her at all times -- larger breed dogs can easily scale (and will scale) a six foot fence to get to a bitch in heat. A large breed dog will not hesitate to mate with a small cavalier and this in itself in addition to being highly traumatic, could pose a health risk to her if she gets pregnant -- so please keep her inside and under close watch.
13th April 2007, 08:45 PM
Hi Karlin thanks for the fab advice.
I will keep her indoors with us no worries there.Shes in her crate at the moment asleep bless her.
We have a secure fence all the way round our garden but dont worry i wont risk it anyway.
Yes we are having her spayed, So do i wait 3 months from now to have her done?
I will ring the vets if anything worries me but she seems fine,she eating and drinking very well.
13th April 2007, 09:00 PM
I am going through this right now with Fiona! Her bleeding cycle is almost over, and there wasnt much of it at all, which I guess is normal for a first cycle. I went to get some of the puppy diaper/panties and decided that for $15 for 12 of them, it wasnt worth it. She wasnt bleeding enought to mark anywhere, and she has been cleaning herself fairly often. Good luck!
13th April 2007, 09:02 PM
Most vets wonlt spay til mid cycle which will be about 3 months after her current heat ends. This is so she will be back to 'neutral'. You can talk through all that with your vet --they are used to giving advice about such things :lol:. :thmbsup:
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2016 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.