• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Silly question...

Holly

This is kind of silly, but... every time Oliver sees or hears an animal on tv, he goes absolutely CRAZY barking and growling and running up to the tv as if he is defending the house against the enemy! :) He even tries to get behind the tv to get to the animal! It makes it nearly impossble to watch Animal Planet, Dog Show, etc...if I tell him No he will sit still but make lots of growling noises.

He is typically really well-behaved and doesn't do this to real animals!!

Anyone have this experience or suggestions?

Haha, I have this problem with Bertie too, cept he will also bark at the radio if certain music played has certain types of sound which makes it impossible for me to listen to it really! lol!

I am trying to find a way to stop him going quite so mad as I live in a block of flats so it could be annoying for other residents. If it wasn't for neighbours, I would just let him get on with it! lol!

Let me know if you manage to get yours to stop and tell me how! roflmao!

Alison

Oh yes, we have this problem in my house but it has gotten much better. Usually when it happens my Bentley starts barking like crazy. At first I kept telling him no and be quite and getting up to tend to him. Now, I just ignore him completely and after a bark or two he is done. Kind of like, "well if she doesn't care then why should I"...It works with door bells too!

That's a good idea..I should have known that, I'm a teacher!! :) That works with my students, too... sometimes even bad attention is "good" attention to them!

I think it's pretty good you can get him in a sit when he does this. Dylan loves watching TV. I encourage him by stroking the nice animal on the screen!! :lpy: I know I'm nuts. He doesn't bark though.

Here he is Watching 101 Dalmatians!
458163431_2bf1a91653.jpg

Last edited:
Wesley does this too. The worst is when someone on tv knocks on door or rings the doorbell. He goes CRAZY!! We don't even have a doorbell :rolleyes: !!

At least 2 of our dogs just go crazy when they see a dog on TV. And if a dog goes off screen, more often than not they will look beside the TV to see where it went. If we want to watch anything with dogs, we have to crate those two and sometimes a third.

Oh, and any commercial with a doorbell in it should be banned :D ALL our dogs go off at that.

I love that picture of Dylan watching tv!!

Not a silly question....the solution....turn the channel :D That's the only way we get these two goofballs to stop!

Willow also enjoys animals on TV. She gets "excited" at first, then I call her to me. Once she's next to me, I hold on to her and she calms down.

Sunday mornings are her favorite. There's a TV near the end of the bed, and Sunday morning I like to sleep in and watch Breed all about it and the dogs sports show. Willow plops down at the foot of the bed, content as a little bee.:wggle:

Chester does the same thing, whenever any type of animal comes on TV, he starts with a growl and then before you know it he darts toward the TV barking like mad!

He also goes looking behind the TV if the animal goes off screen and sometimes runs to the backdoor, we let him out and he's looking in the yard for the intruder!!!! We have to change the channel too if we can't calm him down then you get the look from him, as if to say "What did you do that for?".

Haha, well, Bertie is the first dog I have ever had that behaves like this, it's comical but at the same time can be a bit of a pain.

Today, a film called Paws was on telly which featured a Jack Russell and various other dogs. Well, Bertie was on one big time, bark bark bark. So, I picked him up and took him over to the telly to "meet" said Jack Russell, he wasn't keen on that idea. I popped him back on the floor and he went and sat down, continued to watch the tv dog and did a few quieter barks.

I didn't actually watch the film in the end though cos I knew Bertie would just keep barking so I went on my playstation for a while instead! lol!

You're so right about ignoring it though, that probably is the best way to go, I shall certainly give it a try, my neighbour above me says she never hears him so if she can't then it's unlikely anyone else will unless they are right outside my door.

Alison

Ellie does the same thing especially to doorbells. Sometimes when I watch nature programs and the animals on the TV make funny noises that gets her too. One night I flipped onto Jurassic Park and when those velaceraptors started screeching Ellie had a field day She definitely didnt like them :D

Odie is such a guard dog, he protects our house from Giraffes, Gorillas, Hippos any kind of animal that appears on the TV !!! ha ha

Although if we are watching a programme that shows dogs doing an agility course he will just sit there staring, so cute. He is also partial to watching soccer with Jay, it must be the ball zooming around the screen !

Scout will rush the tv barking and growling madly at any animal moving on the screen. I have to do the same thing Cathy does, turn the station if I want peace. My Newf will sometimes see animals on the screen and walk up to the tv and sniff, but she never barks or growls at them. LOL

Back