• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Licking Lips?

cavalicious

Mine that is! :eek:

When we're just chillin' on the couch or what not, Ollie always goes for my lips! Just to lick them. When I push him away he licks my ears, around my earings usually.

He also sometimes reaches around to bite when I'm patting him :confused: :eek: or brushing him etc. I know his not sore, he does it in a sort of playful manner :neutral:

Any other cavs like this? Any solutions? Would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :flwr:

That is exactly the same as my two...especially Milo....always go first for the lips! i see so many other dogs that lick their owners on the nose and wonder why my 2 cant do that! to be totally honest i never cared about them licking me on the lips..was cute...and it all seemed fine until recently when i have been getting these unbearable dry, cracked lips! i thought it was the lip gloss i was using...and after ages i figured out it was because of my 2 licking me on the lips (i mean honestly, they go lick anything, anywhere and then go lick you on the lips).....anyway before i was easy-going when they licked me ..but now i firmly push them away, just dont stand for them licking my lips...just gotta be firm!

Mine don't lick my face a lot, usually, I don't let them.

And the biting thing, mostly Nóra does it, sometimes when she's licking my hands or ears she "bites" a little bit, it doesn't hurt and I think she's doing it to be nice to me.

Mine want to lick my lips too but I wont let them because I know what they have licked beforehand :eek: When I turn my face away they then lick me on the ears & chin which I can live with. Funny little dudes!

Just about every litter we have ever had seems to like to like to lick faces somewhere: lips, eyes cheeks, ears, etc. Sometimes they grow out of it, sometimes not. I discourage puppies from licking on my face because a lot of people don't like it. Of our adults, maybe 3 of them like to lick; we only allow ear licking now, and then just for a very short time.

As for the nibbling, I would discourage that. Don't want to have a fun little thing turn into a bad habit. If you ever watch puppies play, that's what they do, sometimes it can get a little rough. It's how they learn what is too hard and what hurts. We don't usually step in unless someone sounds like they're really getting hurt. For example, I'll step in if one puppy starts dragging another across the hardwood floor by the ear :yikes Anyway, all you should have to do is take you hand away and give him a loud "NO" and he will eventually get the idea.

Dylan kisses are the only ones I get these days so I wouldn't have it any other way:luv:

The "kiss" command came before "sit" with us!!! I know it's probably full of germs but we have plenty of kisses and it hasn't made me ill yet :D

If you want the ugly truth of why they lick around the face and especially the mouth...

:lol:

it is because that is how puppies get adult dogs to regurgitate food for them when they are still too small to eat solids or tear apart meat. Of course with domestic dogs, humans feed the puppies a mush and the adults don't have to vomit up food for them (thankfully!). But it remains a way for canids to show subordination to a higher ranking dog but also is a way they will greet each other (again, pointing out that as with many behaviours, assuming 'this behaviour shows submissiveness/dominanance' is too simplistic).

So when dogs do this with humans it is probably a mix of a social greeting and also probably acknowledging you are the one who brings the food and provides the bed... :)

For puppies it is hardwired into them to lick faces and especially around the mouth because that is where the next meal has come from for millions of years of evolution -- the dog equivalent of baby birds all stretching up their open mouths and crying for that fat worm!

Honey and Bella are the lickers in our family. We call Honey "lizard tongue" :D

Bella goes for any exposed skin! I'm tyring to teach her 'no lick', she is learning but I think some dogs are just lickers and their compulsion is very difficult for them to ignore :luv:

Tucker wakes me by licking my face, or elbows. Usually the only exposed flesh he can find peeking out of the blankets. I discourage him from face licking by turning my head. He usually gets my ear, which I alow for about 2.5 seconds. LOL I never could stand anyone licking my ear!

Back