• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can you take a 9+ week old puppy outside...

chestersmum

Hi Everyone

This might seem like a bit of a stupid question, but i was wondering if you can take a 9+ week old puppy out in public if you're holding her the whole time and don't put her down on the ground.

I know that you shouldn't put her on the ground where other dogs may have been until she's fully vaccinated but is it okay to hold her and take her out during that time?

I may be getting an 8 week old blenheim girl sometime in August but i'd like to be able to take her with me when i take Chester for a walk, just so that i don't have to leave her on her own whilst i'm taking Chester out.

I've read a few threads on the board about people wanting to do a similar thing but i can't remember exactly where they are located!

I don't mind if i need to keep her inside for a couple of months, i wouldn't do anything to risk her health, but i just wanted to be 100% sure on proper time frames and such.

Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks!!

Lisa (Chester's Mum)

I've taken all my last three out as pre vaccinated puppies. of course they weren't put down and I asked strangers not to touch them ,as you don't know what animals they've touched.

As a 10 week-old puppy, I needed to take Joly out for a couple of hours, so I let him wee in his plastic carrier (taking all bedding out, of course) then cleaned and disinfected it. This way he could go to the toilet with no risk of infection.

Thanks for that Barbara, i remember taking Chester out when he was about 10 weeks old, i didn't put him down at all, but had him in my arms and we walked around, i was only 14 at the time so i had no idea if you could even take them outside but my dad said at the time that he should be alright so i naturally just listened to my dad.

Now i'm alot older, i wanted to be 100% sure and find out from learned doggy owners like yourself!!! Ta!

Back