• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Recall-Royal Canin

frecklesmom

A recall involving Royal Canin's dry dogfood Vets Choice has occurred after several renal canine deaths in Africa. I believe this is also sold in New Zealand and I don't know where else it is sold. Results are not yet clear on the contaminating factor.

What is going on here? You can't have this many mistakes without it being deliberate can you?

Royal Canin is sold in the Uk too, is this being recalled here too?

:confused:

Update-Royal Canin recall

Have been looking more at the articles and cannot find any other comment on New Zealand. So far, this recall is for South Africa and Namimbia (sp?). What is really bothering me is that this is for dry food-not wet canned food.

It's not sold in North America.....and it's the veterinary brands.

If you google "Royal Canin Recall".......there are a few articles.

This is crazy...just crazy!! :(

Yes, they do sell it at Vet's offices-probably on the same idea as Science Diet except S.D. is also sold everywhere else. I looked at Vets Choice website and they have mutiple products in dry-young to old. Have to wonder if this is the same wheat gluten problem. Makes me edgy about all dog foods with that gluten.

Well, there was recently a class action suit against Royal Canin for one of their prescription foods; I believe I read there was too much of one vitamin in it. It was a prescription food for kidney/urinary tract. I thought the class action suit was in Canada though. I will try to find more info.

This is getting so frightening, I'm already nervous about the recall, and now it is just getting worse instead of better.

I've just seen the message!

Should I be worried here? I feed Lia Royal Canin because my vet told me that was the best sold here!!!

Would you change to another dry food? or would you wait!?

The dry food in Europe is made in France -- different processing plant and different line of food from the vet RX brands, which is a different company they bought. Note this is NOTR regular RC food -- this is the vet RX diet brand.

I wouldn't be concerned at class action lawsuits unless there is something proven. Lawyers will start class action lawsuits at the drop of a hat -- I'd want to hear all sides and see some actual evidence. In the tech industry there were so many spurious class action lawsuits that they are now under legal restrictions!

It is important to evaluate what you feed carefully, but likewise not to overreact when there's little to no HARD evidence for getting concerned.

Even in the case of the wheat gluten recall, where there are definite cases of death, and there's a real tragedy for many owners -- I simply would never trust those websites people are posting their suspect cases to that are supposed to number in hundreds and thousands. Most likely the food would not have had an affect on many dogs or cats and many deaths will be attributed to this even though there's no connection except that the animal was fed on this diet. This happens every time there's a scare and the internet offers a totally uncensored way for millions of people to post anything they want with no way of a reader knowing what is fact, what is misinterpreted, what is real. I've been online since 1985 and on numerous early discussion lists. I learned way back then never to trust what you read on the internet -- and that is even more true today. And a career as a journalist has made me even more sceptical until I see real evidence. Whene there's a crisis there are always tons of me-too cases either due to mistaken ideas or deliberate falsehoods that are eventually disproven.

Consider, seek evidence, use common sense, ask questions, and try to avoid getting caught up in emotive responses that may have no grounds or may even be entirely made up... and remember many people will try to benefit financially from any crisis. This is not to say there aren;t many valid tragic cases. It is just to say do not let an emotional and scare-ridden environment make people jump to conclusions.

Back