• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

advice on heat

ancy

Hi
Just looking for a bit of general advice and feed back on libby being in heat.
She has been in heat for almost two weeks, that is to say she has been bleeding for two weeks, i had done some research on the web and had read that being in heat can last up to 21 days and often they dont bleed in the first week?

Her vulva still appears quite swollen, she has started to crab walk when she wee's, at times she willl whimper and then lick and clean the area herself, i havent stopped her from cleaning herself, i plan to have her spayed over the summer as i will have the summer months off

Really im just wondering if all this is normal, im probably most concerned about the length of time she has been bleeding, i have another bitch who is a collie cross who came into season before she was spayed but i dont remember her bleeding for this length

any advice or feed back would be geatly appreciated

ancy

Each bitch is different. My first Cavalier ( back in 1992) had a season that lasted a month. Last year I went to England for a mating and mated on the 11th and 13th days. A month later the girl was still bleeding! Of course I did not get pups. This year I mated her to one of my own dogs on about day 18-20 and had a litter of pups! One can never tell. My girl certainly has strange seasons but is perfectly healthy.
That being said, most should be over or almost over their season by 15 days. Just keep an eye (and nose) on her that she does not get an infection and keep her away from dogs (she could still be mated and have pups).
Why do you think she is whimpering?
Regards,
Lionel

I would recommend you have her looked at by your vet soon. Female dogs that are not spayed can develop Pyometra.
If she is fine, the only consequence you have is peace of mind.

-good luck

I think the advice to have her looked at would be good. Not because of the length of the season but because "at times she willl whimper and then lick and clean the area herself". Why is she whimpering? That would be my concern.

It all sounds like normal behaviour to me. My girls often whimpered when they were in season. In part I think they get frustrated because they want a boy, and also I think they can get quite uncomfortable. Take a look at that poor little vulva. Mine would also get a little bit down in the mouth too and I've often wondered if they can get a bit of cramping like we humans do. My girls seasons usually lasted about 21 days, but some would take a little longer.

If she is otherwise looking well I personally don't think there is anything to worry about.

Is it possible for you to ring your vet for a chat? Even though this does sound like a normal season, a quick chat could settle your mind.

In pyometra (pyo=pus metra=uterus) the uterus fills up with pus. This is usually accompanied by pus draining out of the vulva, though in a closed pyometra this may not happen. It also is usually accompanied by a foul odour and usually, but not always, the dog will look very sick. Indeed it is a medical emergency.

Well my Ellie bleed for about 2 1/2 weeks. Once she was done bleeding I figured she was done with it as a human would be. Her vulva was still swollen though and ater a trip to the vet for something else it turns out she was still in heat. I think she is done now as its been almost 4 weeks now but the big thing is her vulva is not swollen anymore. I cant tell you whether thats normal for your dog or not as each is different but know that the heat lasts after the blood stops and a good sign is the vulva. Ellie also stopped cleaned herself as often so I think thats a sign as well.

hi
just to say thanks for advice and replies

libby is bleeding less today and not cleaning herself as much either, her vulva is still little swollen but has gone down considerably,she still has her appetite and is her playful self

i will keep a very close eye on her and will bring her to the vet tommorow if things are the same, just for my own piece of mind

once again thanks for advice and replies

Back