• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daycare before Spay- Good or Bad?

Gracie's Mommy

Gracie is going in on Wednesday to be spayed. Is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to take her to doggie daycare tomorrow? She usually goes on Thursdays and is tired well into Saturday. I thought that since she won't be able to go for the next couple Thursdays, we'd take her on Tuesday. But, then I started to wonder if being very tired before going to the vets on Wednesday would make things more difficult for her (recovery-wise) rather than better. Then again, I do tend to overanalyze things... :rolleyes:

Opinions/Experiences appreciated!

icon_nwunsure hmmm...I really don't think it would make a difference on her recovery time. I would think she would be more relaxed going into surgery. She is also going to be layed up for a while so one last hoorah might be nice for her. If you do let her go to day care, make sure you bathe her that night so she will be nice and clean from dog slobber or mess. You won't be able to get her stiches wet for at least 10 days post surgery ;)

Let me invoke the power of Crittercall who is not here to say this: "When in doubt, call the vet!!"

Last edited:
Thanks....that's what I was thinking originally, but then I started to wonder if being tired going into surgery would be harder on her immune system. Of course, this is also at a time when I haven't had much rest lately and am starting to get sick, so maybe that's where this new worry stemmed from! I think I'll stick with the original daycare plan tomorrow. She's pretty out of it the day after daycare...I think it'll help her be a bit more laid back at the vet.

Thanks for the tip on the bath...never would have thought of that! She does come home from daycare a bit disheveled looking, too!

Back