• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CKC at home while we work-Advice pls

sassy.pips

Hi guys

So we've decided to get a pup. I'll be at work from 8am - 6.30pm Mon-Fri and my boyfriend most likely similar. We realise that its not fair to leave dogs on their own all day so we will probably ask the neighbour to pop in now and again. I also took some ones advice from this forum regarding checking on the pedigree chum website which dog would be best for our situation - You enter all relevant details including the amount of time each week that the dog will be at home by itself and it throws up a list of dogs that best suit you etc. Anyway it actually said that the dog we want, a Cavalier King Charles would be one of a few that would suit our situation.

I just want to know is it ok to leave a dog on its own and then make up to it with lots of love and walks etc in the evenings and at weekends?

A friend of mine had to sell her Bichon Frise because the RSPCA told her that they can actually suffer from anxiety attacks if left on their own?

Is this type of thing normal in all breeds or just some? And back to my original question - is it ok to leave our dog at home while we work?

I personally do not agree with leaving a dog on its own all day, especially a cavalier.
The walking and playing before and after work would definately be a benefit but I think if you really feel you need a dog and work full time you should look for a different breed. Not being rude just my honest opinion.

You could always consider doggy daycare or a petsitter for a few hours a day ?

Thanks for that. I don't think you're being rude,I really want to look into this as much as I can before taking the big step to getting one. I really do want a dog though,I'm very active in the evenings so the dog would get plenty of exercise.I'm curious though why you think a Cavalier wouldn't be ok on its own ahead of any other breed?

I don't think there's any breed that likes to be home all day while their owners are at work, but it is what it is--I really think the majority of people work out of home more so than those that are at home or working from home. I would rather see a dog in a happy, well adjusted home with owners that work rather than one whose owners are home but don't provide attention, training, etc.--just because you are home doesn't mean the dog is being cared for, is my point.
That said, there are a lot of options for those of us that work. There are dog daycares and petwalkers. We have a dog walker once a day for our two, and I know they love it. When we are home, it's all about them--hikes, dog parks, etc. we take them everywhere. I really feel it's a matter of making what time you have with them valuable; don't let someone tell you that just because you work outside the home that you're not a good dog mom. In an ideal world, I think anyone would choose to be at home with their dogs, but it just doesn't work that way for a lot of people so we make it work the best we can.;)

Cavaliers are extreme people dogs-- some other breeds are very independent. A puppy will need to be socialized and housebroken and that means building a relationship with the dog. If you are absent for over 10 hours a day-- yikes.

dog ownership

I would have to disagree with the first response.

I would have to say, how committed are you? How educated are you?

Personally I live alone and will be working full time and plan to pick my puppy up at the end of May. While this is not ideal, the reality is many people don't have the means to be home part-time or full time.
To accommodate my situation I have hired a puppy walker. I also can leave my puppy at the daycare (when he is old enough).
My family has an irish setter, whom we raised from a puppy. My whole family works full time but we made it work. Setters are prone to sever separation anxiety and need lots and lots of exercise, but knowing these things you can make adjustment to suit the animal. Because we did for her she is always happy and exercised, never crazed or destructive.
I think that anticipation is the key. I know of dogs that have owners home all the time, that are not as adjusted of an animal as some full-time working people. (and of course vice versa)Be educated, be honest with yourself about your means and abilities.

(Somtimes I think this comes down to a stay at home mom or working mom debate!)

Last edited:
Thanks for that Jen. I really do believe that me and my boyfriend would make great parents to our pup.

We bought a house in January and have a medium sized garden that our pup can run round in, and as I also said we'll take it on walks in the evenings and weekends, I may even get up an hour earlier to bring him/her for a walk!! :)

I fell in love with Cavaliers when I first seen them and I know thats the dog for me. I've read a great deal on them and know that they love exercise, but at the same time are quiet and loving pets by nature. The last thing I'd want is to leave him/her on its own all day, but my questions is this also 'how does everyone else do it'.

Getting a dog walker to come by and bring it out for a walk is a greta idea, but we don't have a side entrance to our home and I'm not sure I'd give some one a key to come into our home while we are not there. Apart from my neighbour who is an elderly woman, but she wouldn't walk the dog. Unless we gave her the key to get the dog for the dog walker? Hmmm maybe there are ways around this?

My husband and I both work full time, but until this week we've worked varying schedules. I work 8:30-5:30 and he worked 11-8. I would come home at lunch time and she we take her to doggie daycare once a week. Starting next week, he'll work 8-4 or 5 5 days a week. So, I will still come home for lunch and she'll be in doggie daycare twice a week. We play with her lots in the evening, take her to play groups, training classes, etc.

I agree with Jen...more people work out of home than in the home. And, you can still take care of your dog and be a wonderful dog mom even while working. However, leaving the dog home 8-6 five days a week is definitely not ideal or recommended. I would suggest that you look into pet sitters, dog walkers or doggie daycare...the neighbor popping in is a great start!

Our furbaby Chester is 8 months old & is at home during the day whilst we are at work.

I struggled with this to start with as I worried about what he was doing if he was lonely, etc. so I decided to pop home at lunchtime to give him a quick walk & a little snack. I still do this but it is only usually for half hour or so.

As this is all he knows, he is very well adjusted. He seems to sleep all morning & then plays in the afternoon. How do I know, well I went home early at lunch last week and he was so snug in his bed he couldnt even be bothered to get out & say hello. It was almost as if he was saying "what are you doing home now".

He has the run of the house in the evening & all weekend and personally I think he looks forward to Monday as he gets to rest up after the weekend!

I volunteer in cavalier rescue and you wouldn't believe how many "untrainable, misbehaving cavaliers we get to rehome. A lot of the time it is an unsocialized dog that was never housetrained properly as a pup.

Cavaliers are extreme people dogs-- some other breeds are very independent. A puppy will need to be socialized and housebroken and that means building a relationship with the dog. If you are absent for over 10 hours a day-- yikes.

Our 2nd dog is a Minature Schnauzer, a much more independent breed than a Cavalier. Independent doesn't necessarily mean they like to be alone. With Gus, we've learned independent means he'll find his own fun--which sometimes can be destructive.

Would you suggest WoodHave that I have my pup properly house trained and then it would be ok to leave him/her on her own?

Its reassuring to hear Gracie's Mom, Jen, Kelly and tsorningold say that what I hope to do is not unusual or cruel.

I would assume just like you guys have said that the pup would get into a routine and quite enjoy both the company time and lone time?

Woodhaven, Not to be contrary here, but I'm curious how often that happens with families who have people home much of the day also? First of all, it seems very stereotypical to imply that people who work outside the home have unsocialized, not properly housetrained pups. Second, I'm sure that tehre are many a rescue situation from families who are home often but still manage to not spend time with the dog.

Obviously, having a dog without putting in the extra effor to socialize and housetrain is not what any of us on this board who work outside the home are saying. I think that each of us take time in our way to make sure that our dogs are well-socialized and housetrained. A tsorningold put it, the issue is commitment and education...Seems to me that if someone is willing to put in the time needed to socialize, housetrain and build the relationship outside of work, that person has the potential to be an excellent puppy parent. There are exceptions to every rule...people who work can have great, well-adjusted dogs...people who stay home can have unruly, poorly housetrained dogs, as well.

Last edited:
I volunteer in cavalier rescue and you wouldn't believe how many "untrainable, misbehaving cavaliers we get to rehome. A lot of the time it is an unsocialized dog that was never housetrained properly as a pup.

Sandy I work full time as does my partner, and both our dogs are housetrained, socialized and bonded with us. It has nothing to do with being home 8+ hours a day with them, it has to do with being commited--establishing a routine/schedule, and using resources--a dog walker, doggy daycare, taking them to training, etc. It seems as though you're implying that owners that work have ill-adjusted dogs. I don't agree with that at all. If anything, from what I've seen, owners who work put more time and effort into their dogs. I know we do.

Last edited:
Very well put Gracie's Mom. I think any one that goes to the lenghts of investigating breeds, going to chat boards to discuss best practises for their dogs etc obviously has enough responsibility to become a dog owner.

I hoped to get some direction when I came to this chat board asking my question, and I think the overall agreement here is that dogs can be left at home while their owner is at work so long as time, care, love and effort is put in outside the working hours when the owner is home.

I think you are very wise to look thoroughly into this before diving in to get a pup. Just because those websites say a Cavalier is for you (likely because they are loving, tolerant, and generally patient of your needs) doesn't mean they're the best fit. I entirely agree that you may need to adapt and consider giving a dog-walker a key to your house, budgeting in daycare, etc. It will be more enjoyable for you AND the dog if your dog is a true delight to come home to, and not anxious/depressed, etc. That said, what about considering an older cavalier or a rescue? They would be well-beyond their housetraining issues, and puppies REALLY do mandate you see them and take them out at frequent (1-2 hr!) intervals to be successful with their housebreaking issues and for the needed socialization of a puppy. Also, many people who have a Cavalier and who work have also found two dogs to be of benefit to the dog during the day (along with daycare, dog-walker, etc). just some thoughts. Good luck with your decision! Cavaliers are wonderful animals. All animals are wonderful. We should be good stewards of their care. -Natalie:dogwlk:

Our 2nd dog is a Minature Schnauzer, a much more independent breed than a Cavalier. Independent doesn't necessarily mean they like to be alone. With Gus, we've learned independent means he'll find his own fun--which sometimes can be destructive.

But even having *2* pets means they aren't ALONE. Dogs tend to be pack animals, even in this day and age.
Maybe I should have said that a cavalier successful puppyhood is dependent of proper socialization, training (manners) and housetraining. And when a pup has all these -- living with them becomes a joy rather than a nightmare.

All dogs as puppies would not be able to be on their own the hours you are gone. At a minimum they would need someone to come home in the middle of the day for a half an hour to an hour. After puppyhood I think most dogs do better if their time alone is considerably less than ten hours everyday but I believe it is do-able with the right dog, with smoe minimal help during the day and with good, consistent interaction in the evenings and on the weekends, i.e. the dog or dogs become your life outside of work. The problem with Cavaliers and with some other breeds is that they are very people oriented and that much time alone can change their personalities. If you search on this board you will find lots of threads on this very issue with a variety of opinions and solutions. It may well be worth your time to take a look.

Here is my situation: I work and leave the house at 7:30 am and am home about 6:00 p.m. most weekdays. I have a Cavalier and a Clumber who are two and two and a half years old, respectively. I am in the enviable situation of having someone at home everyday until 12:30 p.m. so the dogs are on their own (crated) for under six hours, not ideal but very workable. (Even with that when the dogs were puppies I took a late lunch and came home about 2:00 p.m. for 30 minutes, something I could do living under 10 minutes from my office.) In addition to the fact that there is someone home until mid-day, my Clumber gets a mile and a half and our Cavalier about half a mile walk every morning. They both get another walk (half to full mile depending on the weather) or attend a dog class or go to a local Dog Park every evening. If I did not have someone at the house in the mornings I would hire a dog walker to spend at least a half an hour with them as I think ten plus hours every day is too much time alone and invites behaviour problems.

If your neighbor is dependable and this is something he or she wants to do for you, you may be able to make it work, but they need to understand the committment. Perhaps a combination of a dog walker and the neighbor or doggie day care and the neighbor would work. You might also want to consider adopting an older dog so that housetraining and possibly crate training will be less of an issue (notice I did not say "no issue). There are threads on this issue on this Board as well.

One last suggestion if and when you get a new dog, regardless of whether it is a puppy or an adult, try to have at least a long weekend and preferably a little longer off work so that you and the dog can get to know one another. I have done it both with and without doing this and can attest that it is a great bonding tool.

Good luck to you.

Thanks natalieandmike, what you have said makes total sense, everyones comments have actually been beneficial.

I will look at our entire situation before I make a final decision.

It's great to see how other people do it though. Having my neighbour pop in is probably the best solution. As I said she is an elderly lady living alone, so I don't think she'd mind too much, if anything my dog would probably keep her company too!

Back