• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Puppy - Different Breed?

Kelly

I am just curious as to what your opinions would be on getting a different breed of dog as a friend for our boy Chester.

Me & my husband have been talking about getting another dog but after all the worries we have had with Chester (long story but down the SM route), he isnt keen to get another Cavalier. Although I would love one, I understand why he isnt so keen as I was very upset when we thought Chester was poorly.

I know Cavaliers love their own kind but just wondered if there were any other breeds that they are known to get on particularly well with.

I am just curious as to what your opinions would be on getting a different breed of dog as a friend for our boy Chester.

Me & my husband have been talking about getting another dog but after all the worries we have had with Chester (long story but down the SM route), he isnt keen to get another Cavalier. Although I would love one, I understand why he isnt so keen as I was very upset when we thought Chester was poorly.

I know Cavaliers love their own kind but just wondered if there were any other breeds that they are known to get on particularly well with.

My daughter has a lab and cavalier. A friend has a pyr and many cavaliers. Yes, cavaliers can get along well with other breeds (cats, kids, elderly etc...).

Ironically I've had many breeds of dogs-- I had a brittney that had an autoimmune disease (pts age 3), rescue cocker with juvenile cataract, rescue cocker with epilepsy (pts age 2.5), rescue collie with chronic ear infections, parents had shih tzu cancer. My cavaliers have been healthy (knock wood).

Sandy

Last edited:
I've heard a Pug has a similar personality to a Cavalier. I'm not happy about the squashed nose though. I also like the Boston terrier. Here's what a site said regarding temperament.

Temperament
The Boston Terrier is a friendly and lively dog. The breed has an excellent disposition and a high degree of intelligence, which makes the Boston Terrier an incomparable companion.

I am sure that a cav will make friends with other breeds...but at puppy class, my two cavs gravitate to the other cav in the group. It's a small group, but you can most certainly see they feel some sort of 'brother/sisterhood' with the other cav. It was so obvious we even discussed it in class.

The only dog who doesn't like Dylan in our puppy class is another Cavalier. Dylan always gets big kisses from the big strong Staff (kept on his lead thank goodness!) and the 2 Border Collie sisters, Sugar and Spice, Love him too. Sugar doesn't like other dogs much but when Dylan comes near her she closes her eyes as he snuggles her. She goes all soppy.

We now have a tiny new blen puppy called Toby in the class. :D

Anyway, back to the subject, the Kennel Club web site has a great section for breeds with details of their temperaments and health problems.

Start from this page:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/435

We went down this road a year ago. We researched different breeds as our Abbey has COSM, and weren't ready for another Cavalier at that point. Our friends have a Miniature Schnauzer and she is so loving, playful, etc. and Abbey adores her. So, we ended up with Gus, but we didn't crop his ears and we leave him in a shaggy Terrier cut as it's much more his personality than how severe the Schnauzer cut looks. He's a goof, a wild man, and a snuggler all at the same time. It's a good mix with a Cavalier, he gets her going and has brought out a side to her we hadn't seen. They're very smart, shed very, very minimally and are very humerous little dogs.

Once we are ready for another Cavalier, it will be from a breeder who has MRI'd the parents, COSM/SM is just to heartbreaking to deal with again.

The breed of dog depends on what size friend you want for Chester. My other dog is a Newfoundland, she weighs 140 lbs and she get along great with Scout.

Other Breeds

Along with our Cavaliers we have a Belgian Tervuren. They get along fine with each other. They grew up together from puppies. The Cavaliers learned
to move out of the way when he's in a hurry. Jack thinks it fun to jump over them if they are in his path. They think he's a big pain but I have seen him try to protect them from a stray dog in our yard.
Proper socialization is the key and establishing ground rules from the first is a must.
As a general rule I have found Cavaliers to simply love everyone (human or dog) they come in contact with.

We have Lucy our 1 year old Blen, and her partner in crime....lol, is Jake our Black Lab, granted we had Jake 1st, he'l be 7 on his next birthday, but the point im making is that they are best buddies even with the size difference, one of their pals we meet regularly on our walks is Lance and he is a HUGE Rhodesian Ridgeback, and again they get on brilliantly,
I think with their natures Cavaliers will get on with just about anyone, maybe the only thing to watch.....depending on the breed you choose, will be if your new pup is too big and bouncy?

I understand how you feel about the health issues of cavaliers, but each breed has their own set of issues; some more severe than others. Just make sure that you really research whatever breed you choose and their problems as it can be just as difficult to find a good quality, responsible breeder for a shih tzu as it is a cavalier. (I DO NOT recomend getting a shih tzu BTW....will never go that route again!!:rolleyes: )

I personally ADORE papillions. I was going to get one until Wesley fell into my lap. I was hooked from then on!:lotsaluv:

One of the clients we see has a goldendoodle and a cavalier and they adore each other. Her doodle is from the breeder I have mentioned before, who also breeds assistant therapy dogs.
I can't help it, they are so cute!

Pickett_Cathy.jpg

Kriston_GINGER006.jpg

Wiesinger_RedPuppy3.jpg

My son has a miniature dachshund. They visit very often and his little dachshund and my girls love each other. If I get something else it probably will be a dachshund.

Cavaliers do get along very well with any breed or mix, I think. I considered several other breeds and pound dogs when I had Jaspar and was considering a second dog. I was ready to take a little brown short-legged jack russell named Hugo from the pound -- I'd sorted out the rescue for him etc, then he got very ill, pulled thru, and I was ready to take him but he was fostered to a person who also rescues cats and he wanted to get at the cats! That meant I couldn't manage him here with my four indoor cats. Another two months or so and I had Leo instead.

I'd love to once again have a pyrenees some day as that is the breed I grew up with but I sure don;t have room where I live now! :lol:

I love Westies and plan on getting one one day (preferably when we have a yard so he can run and dig like terriers do) Im also interested in owning a Bedlington Terrier one day too. I love lots of breeds but I think Cavaliers will get along with most breeds.What breeds have you considered?

We have Cavaliers & Boxers and they get along just fine. The Cavaliers know to get out of the way if the Boxers are rushing off to defend the territory. When we are not at home, we do put the Cavaliers into a different part to the Boxers so that if something startled the Boxers they wouldn't trample a sleeping Cavalier.

When the Boxers have gone to the RB (they are the oldies) and if I was tempted to get more dogs & not Cavaliers I'd probably go with a breed that has a similar size & weight. You then don't have to worry about injuries occurring due to size discrepancies.

ScarlettBeau_070224001.jpg

Back