PDA

View Full Version : RECALL: Royal Canin

Gracie's Mommy
20th April 2007, 04:06 PM
Royal Canin USA has voluntarily recalled a number of foods due to melamine found in the rice protein concentrate...Here is more info:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Royal Canin USA said on Friday it was voluntarily recalling all of its dry pet food products containing rice protein concentrate after it found a melamine derivative in some products.

Melamine is an industrial chemical used to make plastics and fertilizers.

The announcement is the latest in a widening recall of dog and cat food products across the United States since mid-March. More than 100 brands of pet food have been recalled after reports of cases of pets developing kidney failure.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has received more than 14,000 reports of pet illnesses so far. Officials have confirmed just 16 deaths but believe the actual number could be higher.

Royal Canin said it had not confirmed cases of illness in pets due to its products.

"We are taking this proactive stance to avoid any confusion for our customers about which Royal Canin USA products are safe and which products may be affected," the company said in a statement.

The company will also no longer use Chinese suppliers for any of its vegetable proteins, it said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070420/us_nm/royalcanin_recall_dc_3

And, from the Royal Canin website:

We are currently experiencing problems with our phone system.
Please call (800) 513-0041 for immediate assistance
or you may email us at info@royalcanin.us.

April 19, 2007

Dear Royal Canin USA Customer,

It is with sincere regret that I inform you of a new and unfortunate development with some of our pet food products.

Although we have no confirmed cases of illness in pets, we have decided to voluntarily remove the following dry pet food products that contain rice protein concentrate due to the presence of a melamine derivative.

ROYAL CANIN SENSIBLE CHOICE® (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)

- Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior
- Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult

ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET™ (available only in veterinary clinics)

- Canine Early Cardiac EC 22™
- Canine Skin Support SS21™
- Feline Hypoallergenic HP23™

We are taking this proactive stance to voluntarily recall these products to avoid any confusion for our customers about which Royal Canin USA products are safe and which products may be affected.

Pet owners should immediately stop feeding their pets the Royal Canin USA dry pet food products listed above. Pet owners should consult with a veterinarian if they are concerned about the health of their pet. No other Royal Canin diets are affected by this recall and CONTINUE TO BE safe for pets to eat.

In addition, Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese suppliers for any of our vegetable proteins.

This decision to recall some of our dry pet food products is driven by our philosophy that the “Pet Comes First”. The safety and nutritional quality of our pet food is Royal Canin USA’s top priority. Pet owners who have questions about this recall and other Royal Canin USA products should call 1-800-592-6687 or (800) 513-0041.

On behalf of the entire Royal Canin family, our hearts go out to the pet owners and everyone in the pet community who have been affected by all of the recent recalls. We are as passionate about the health and happiness of our customers’ pets as we are of our own, so we are committed to taking the steps necessary to ensure this never happens again.

Sincerely,

Olivier Amice
President and CEO
Royal Canin USA

Cinder
20th April 2007, 04:13 PM
*sigh*.......I had a feeling that this recall would eventually get to the food that I feed my boys.

Sounds like it's US-specific....any Canadians know if it has any affect on the Canadian Royal-Canin dry food?

Cinder has been *very* sick for the past three days (vomiting & diarhhea).....I'm 99% sure it's unrelated, but these recalls really make you consider that 1% :p Of course when I talked to my vet on Tuesday about my sick boy she said that Royal Canin was NOT considered unsafe and that we should be OK to keep feeding him this diet (tho for the past few days we've been feeding him "vet's choice - gastro formula" to help his upset tummy).

Anyways.....I'm rambling....question is if anyone knows if Canadian Royal Canin is affected? Thanks for the info! :)

Gracie's Mommy
20th April 2007, 04:15 PM
Cinder, It does appear to be RC USA only. I updated the original thread to say that as well. Thanks for pointing that out!

Hope Cinder is ok and feeling better soon!

Denise G.
20th April 2007, 04:17 PM
I don't know about the RC distributed in Canada, but I wouldn't take any chances. I don't feed my doglets anything grain or rice, but if I did, I think I'd avoid any foods containing rice or wheat gluten with all that's going on right now.

I hope Cinder starts feeling better soon!

WoodHaven
20th April 2007, 04:23 PM
With all the foods that seem to be added to the darn list daily-- IF any of my dogs start showing signs of illness- I will take all of them off all dog food and feeding them homecooked for a while. I have read some of these sad stories of dogs getting ill and people forcing them to eat the food that has made them ill.

Cinder
20th April 2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the info!

I agree Sandy! Once Cinder is feeling better (as I said we're feeding him a vet-available "gastro-formula" food right now), we won't be putting him back on Royal Canin until all of this is cleared up. It is really unfortunate because it took us forever to find a food that he was interested in eating!

Looks like I'll be making a lot of cooked chicken breast and rice over the weekend! LOL :) I think I'll make a big batch and freeze it in "dinner-size" baggies for him. I'm going to talk to my vet again to determine if there is a vitamin/mineral mix that is available that I can add to ensure he's getting everything he needs.

....tho what he needs right now is lots of luv from "dad" who took the day off work to be home with the sick boy! :) :) :)

-Bonnie

CVFlagg
20th April 2007, 05:18 PM
Hi,

I know a lot of people feed their dogs the Royal Canin Adult 27 food, can we confirm that this is not part of the recall?

Shay
20th April 2007, 05:19 PM
I have been checking their website periodically and this morning I see this new recall. Their site has been saying none of their food is affected, but now this! They are now saying they are not using any grain from foreign sources. When is this ever going to end?????

http://www.royalcanin.us/

Sorry for the duplicate post. I posted before I saw the other posts.

Gracie's Mommy
20th April 2007, 05:29 PM
It is not listed on the RC website as part of the recall. But, it does include Corn Gluten Meal as the fifth ingredient. Based on this article (http://http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/20/news/gluten.php), It would seem that corn gluten meal may be the next affected ingredient. However, it is not currently part of the recall....I'm just having a hard time trusting wheat, rice or corn gluten ingredients at the moment...

From the above listed link:

So far, melamine has been found in both wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate imported from China. Media reports from South Africa suggest that a third pet food ingredient from China, corn gluten, was also contaminated with melamine. That tainted ingredient has not been found in the United States, the Food and Drug Administration said.

Shay
20th April 2007, 05:31 PM
I feed Lily RC 27, and I just got off the phone with them. They transferred me to a food tech, but it just went into voice mail. Looking at the ingredients, it contains rice. So, the question is, how can they know the rice in this food is safe? It makes no sense to me. I don't know when this is ever going to end. It does say that anything with an expiration date of 4-08 is safe as they are no longer using Chinese suppliers. I guess we can try to find the food with that expiration date and throw out what we have now to be safe. I only have 1/2 bag left, and it is is the trash now. I just don't trust any of these companies anymore. I may just feed her boiled chicken and rice for a while.

CVFlagg
20th April 2007, 05:34 PM
Shay, I completely agree. I called them as well and they were less than helpful. I think her exact words were "if its not on the list its fine" and that was the end of the conversation. My youngest is on the Hill's Z/D Ultra Allergy free food so I might just start feeding both of them that. This is so frustrating!

Shay
20th April 2007, 05:44 PM
Shay, I completely agree. I called them as well and they were less than helpful. I think her exact words were "if its not on the list its fine" and that was the end of the conversation. My youngest is on the Hill's Z/D Ultra Allergy free food so I might just start feeding both of them that. This is so frustrating!

I know, it is just crazy! I just talked to my hubs and he said "throw it out now!", which I already had done. I am going to call around to see if any of the pet stores have the 4-08 expiration date yet. If we can believe that this food is safe. I just don't know what to do, but I will be feeding her boiled chicken and rice for a while.

Gracie's Mommy
20th April 2007, 05:45 PM
From what I've read, the issue isn't with rice as much as it is derivatives of rice and wheat (and potentially corn)...the wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate being the derivatives. It may be worthwhile to look into a grain-free food such as EVO, if you still want to feed kibble.

It's not so much that I have a hard time trusting the pet food companies themselves, but their suppliers. It is becoming more and more obvious that this was an intentional spiking with melamine...it just makes my stomach turn. What I don't understand is why all of these manufacturers just recently changed to this Chinese supplier. I would have thought it would be because it was cheaper than other suppliers...but, the melamine increases the protein content meaning they can charge more...

coconut
20th April 2007, 05:45 PM
Does this effort us here in ireland?

Shay
20th April 2007, 05:48 PM
Just a reminder to keep your bags if you throw away your food, just in case we may need them as proof of purchase later. Let's hope and pray we won't, but better safe than sorry.

Shay
20th April 2007, 05:54 PM
From what I've read, the issue isn't with rice as much as it is derivatives of rice and wheat (and potentially corn)...the wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate being the derivatives. It may be worthwhile to look into a grain-free food such as EVO, if you still want to feed kibble.

Hi Lindsay...Which Evo would you suggest?

Karlin
20th April 2007, 05:57 PM
All these recalls have involved US and Canadian manufacturing sites. There have been no recalls of European foods and no reports of problems.

Karlin
20th April 2007, 06:05 PM
Just regarding the Hill's allergy diet -- are you aware this contains the preservative Ethoxyquin? Many advocate always avoiding preservatives of any kind but especially, this one. The FDA itself states on its website:

Another pet food additive of some controversy is ethoxyquin, which was approved as a food additive over thirty-five years ago for use as an antioxidant chemical preservative in animal feeds. Approximately ten years ago, CVM began receiving reports from dog owners attributing the presence of ethoxyquin in the dog food with a myriad of adverse effects, such as allergic reactions, skin problems, major organ failure, behavior problems, and cancer. However, there was a paucity of available scientific data to support these contentions, or to show other adverse effects in dogs at levels approved for use in dog foods. More recent studies by the manufacturer of ethoxyquin showed a dose-dependent accumulation of a hemoglobin-related pigment in the liver, as well as increases in the levels of liver-related enzymes in the blood. Although these changes are due to ethoxyquin in the diet, the pigment is not made from ethoxyquin itself, and the health significance of these findings is unknown. More information on the utility of ethoxyquin is still needed in order for CVM to amend the maximum allowable level to below that which would cause these effects, but which still would be useful in preserving the food. While studies are being conducted to ascertain a more accurate minimum effective level of ethoxyquin in dog foods, CVM has asked the pet food industry to voluntarily lower the maximum level of use of ethoxyquin in dog foods from 150 ppm (0.015%) to 75 ppm. Regardless, most pet foods that contained ethoxyquin never exceeded the lower amount, even before this recommended change.
From this very good article on reading pet food labels:

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petlabel.htm

Also see this report by CBC (the Canadian national broadcaster):

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/mp30/ethoxyquin.html

Gracie's Mommy
20th April 2007, 06:05 PM
Shay...I'm not sure that I'm qualified to suggest any. Just thinking that based on the nature of the recalls (all grain-type ingredients) a grain-free diet may alleviate some concerns. I can't find the Innova EVO information on the NaturaPet website, but they do have this info:
NaturaPet EVO info (http://http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp)

Kodee
20th April 2007, 06:14 PM
Shay...I'm not sure that I'm qualified to suggest any. Just thinking that based on the nature of the recalls (all grain-type ingredients) a grain-free diet may alleviate some concerns. I can't find the Innova EVO information on the NaturaPet website, but they do have this info:
NaturaPet EVO info (http://http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp)I dont think the issue is the grain but rather the china suppliers. As Karlin noted way back, China does have issues with manufacturing. The issue is with it being used to up protein in wheat and then rice getting put into used bags. So in theory... any ingredient could get infected if if came from that china supplier. I personally I'm staying away from any manufacturer that uses a supplier that gets any products via china or manufactured at someone elses plant that may use those products.

CVFlagg
20th April 2007, 06:17 PM
OMG! Karlin, thank you so much! This is why I love this board. I had absolutely no idea. We were actaully just at the vet yesterday because he was pooping all blood and they couldn't figure out why. They have since treated him and things are back to normal. They did take blood but those results won't be back until Monday.

I am on the phone with the vet dermatologist as I type to get switched to different food. Thank you so much!!!!

moniechris
20th April 2007, 06:20 PM
I agree with Kodee. I am sticking with companies who ONLY use ingredients that are GROWN/MANUFACTURED/PACKAGED in the US/canada. So far, Natura (innova Evo) and Wellness meet those criteria and my dogs are doing well on them.

That Chinese company exports hundreds of products so there is no telling what will be next on the list.

Gracie's Mommy
20th April 2007, 06:24 PM
Debbie & Monica...very good point! For the moment, I'm following those guidelines, plus no rice, corn, or wheat gluten/protein concentrate. Of course, you are right that it could be any ingredient that causes the problem.

Karlin
20th April 2007, 06:46 PM
Regarding Chinese growers -- ironically I was reading an article not too long ago, but before this food concern, about ongoing worries about some Chinese growing practices -- mainly putting in additives. I can't remember where I read this but it was talking about the human food chain and the challenges of regulating production in such a huge country with relatively weak infrastructure.

All this said -- as the Whole Dog Journal currently notes, previous food related scares with pet food have been due to other causes -- problem in production or storage within the plant, not ingredients imported from elsewhere.

And the FDA article I just posted the link to, points out that there's some regulation on what manufacturers state on their bags of food (but general confusion in many cases) and what a label seems to 'mean' may not be the case. For example one could list meat as the first ingredient and corn, second; another corn first and meat second, but because of the moisture removed from meat, the food with 'corn' listed as the first ingredient may actually contain more meat.

Likewise certain terms carry NO meaning -- eg 'human grade', 'premium' etc, but have become common inthe higher end o fthe food market. The FDA article says:

Other Label Claims

Many pet foods are labeled as "premium," and some now are "super premium" and even "ultra premium." Other products are touted as "gourmet" items. Products labeled as premium or gourmet are not required to contain any different or higher quality ingredients, nor are they held up to any higher nutritional standards than are any other complete and balanced products.

The term "natural" is often used on pet food labels, although that term does not have an official definition either. For the most part, "natural" can be construed as equivalent to a lack of artificial flavors, artificial colors, or artificial preservatives in the product. As mentioned above, artificial flavors are rarely employed anyway. Artificial colors are not really necessary, except to please the pet owner's eye. If used, they must be from approved sources, the same as for human foods. Especially for high-fat dry products, some form of preservative must be used to prevent rancidity. Natural-source preservatives, such as mixed tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), can be used in place of artificial preservatives. However, they may not be as effective.

"Natural" is not the same as "organic." The latter term refers to the conditions under which the plants were grown or animals were raised. There are no official rules governing the labeling of organic foods (for humans or pets) at this time, but the United States Department of Agriculture is developing regulations dictating what types of pesticides, fertilizers and other substances can be used in organic farming.
Makes your head spin, doesn't it? :huh:

molly
20th April 2007, 06:56 PM
Hog farmers feed their pigs leftovers from the manufacturing of pet food (ugh). They have already quarantined one hog farm where they found melamine in the pigs. It is just a matter of time that they decide it has gotten into the human food chain. Who knows what they feed chickens.

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/category/2007-food-recall/

moniechris
20th April 2007, 07:15 PM
It just blows my mind that food that is not fit for dog consumption is fit for hog consumption that is in turn fed to humans!! How can that possibly be a better option than just throwing the junk out?! :mad:

If we are what we eat? Aren't we also what the animals we eat, eat? (does that make sense??)

Karlin
20th April 2007, 07:31 PM
Some pretty scary stuff is fed hogs in Europe and the US as well -- I remember reading an article in Time or Newsweek on concerns about Mad Cow related disease in other species that are fed things that many would consider questionable. Another reason to opt for organic pork where there are some strict standards in Europe for example; I don't think there are standards yet for what constitutes 'organic' labelling in the US.

For example, 'downer' cows -- those considered too sick for human consumption or that are already dead on arrival at meat plants and which we worry about going into our dog's food -- instead get rendered into PIG and CHICKEN FEED and are thus routed BACK into the human food chain through this back door!!

From the New York Times (my emphasis):

Dr. DeHaven said that the decision announced on Tuesday to ban downer cows from the food supply means that most such animals will be sent to rendering plants, which boil the carcasses to produce protein for poultry and swine feed, tallow, fat, oil and other products, including some used in cosmetics. As a result, much of the screening for mad cow disease will move away from slaughterhouses to rendering plants and farms. Dr. DeHaven described that change as a major shift in the surveillance system for the disease and said the government would have to start working with renderers to make sure the tests are done.From: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/01/national/nationalspecial2/01COW.html?ex=1388293200&en=ef5881d0c947cbc2&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND

I think what goes into the commercial food chain is so hidden away that most people would be stunned to learn the actual facts (such as the above) of commercial food production -- I know we are discussing animal food but what about what ends up on our tables?

moniechris
20th April 2007, 07:35 PM
BLEGH! That enough to make a girl turn VEGAN!!

Well...maybe not..I do love me some cheeseburgers :confused:

Karlin
20th April 2007, 07:36 PM
Patronise your local butcher who carries organic, locally sourced beef! :) I don;t buy a lot of red meats, but now and then I like to make a good hamburger or meatloaf and get organic meats for this. Also supports local, animal-welfare friendly, small-scale farmers.

Shay
20th April 2007, 07:54 PM
Thank God I don't eat a lot of red meat, but I do love pork! Barbecue ribs being my favorite. What can I say, I'm a southern girl through and through. And besides that, there is a barbecue place on every corner here. If you don't like barbecue, you are kinda out of luck.:lol:

CVFlagg
20th April 2007, 08:42 PM
Ugh! I think I learn something new everyday on this board, probably more than I did in college :o)!

Karlin turned me on to the Ecover products and I have fallen in love with them. You can get them at the Whole Foods stores in the US so I think I might start buying more organic produce and protiens while I am there.

Coco's mom
20th April 2007, 09:29 PM
some of you were earlier wondering if Royal Canin were recalling some products in Canada too-- a few weeks ago Royal Canin recalled pet foods in Canada. Im not sure if it was just cat food or both dog and cat food.

Sharon
20th April 2007, 09:51 PM
Haven't been on this site for a while, but logged in today because of the RC recall. I feed Wrigley RC 27 and just bought a new bag on Wednesday. I haven't opened it yet, and the exp date says 0205008. Thinking I should take it back to the store and start feeding him home cooked food for now. It's such a shame, as he really loves this food and seems to be doing very well on it.

Don't know what else to switch him to. I don't want to feed him home cooked food alone.

Shay
21st April 2007, 01:02 AM
I know, it so so frustrating. Lily was doing so well on RC. Before we picked her up from the Vet earlier, I went to the pet store and bought a bag of Wellness. They do not use any of the suppliers of the affected rice. I am going to feed Lily boiled chicken and rice for a few days at any rate, then switch her over to the Wellness.

This is what their site says:

April 19, 2007

Dear Pet Parents,

Like many of you, we were upset to learn that the presence of an illegal contaminant has again been found in the pet-food supply, this time involving rice protein concentrate.
We have no reason to believe that any Wellness or Old Mother Hubbard products are affected in any way. In fact:

We do not source rice protein concentrate from Binzhou Futian Biological Technology, the manufacturer of the contaminated rice protein concentrate.
We do not purchase rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis.
We have visited the plants where we source our rice protein concentrate, and they have consistently met our stringent standards. We have been purchasing from them for several years and have not recently added any new suppliers.We wanted to make you aware of the facts concerning our ingredients and quality assurance program.

Why We Use Rice Protein Concentrate

Rice protein concentrate is an expensive, premium and natural ingredient that is used in, for example, cereal, baked goods, and in some premium, natural pet foods. It is a source of protein with strong non-allergenic properties. At Wellness, we use rice protein concentrate in a handful of products that are formulated for allergies, including:

Simple Food Solutions
Two flavors of the WellBars (Fish and Sweet Potato and Yogurt, Apple and Bananas)
Old Mother Hubbard Puppy TreatsThese are our only products that contain rice protein concentrate.

Our Quality Assurance Program

All of Wellness and Old Mother Hubbard products are produced according to our proprietary recipes, with our specified ingredients, and our quality standards.

We require a complete cleaning and sanitation between each product run to help ensure the purity of our products.
Our facilities are regularly audited by Cook & Thurber, a HUMAN FOOD auditing firm.
We require that our suppliers provide ingredients that are free of contaminants.
Our employees monitor the quality control processes at all manufacturing plants.
New Enhancements to Our Quality Assurance Program

Wellness has consistently provided healthy, natural products to pet parents. Whenever our industry is confronted with a new issue, we incorporate new procedures into our quality assurance program. We are doing so here and will continue to take all appropriate steps to help ensure the continued integrity of all our products. For example, we are supplementing our vendor qualification processes to require them to show proof of testing for new known contaminants, and we are expanding our own testing procedures to address a wider selection of ingredients and contaminants.

Working Together

The presence of illegal contaminants like melamine in pet food is a new issue, and one that is being investigated by the regulatory authorities. While we have no reason to believe our products are affected by this matter, the uncertainty those issues have created across the industry is of great concern to us. We urge government and regulatory officials to continue acting with due speed to identify the source of the contamination and hold that entity accountable.

The safety of our food supply is important to all of us. Working together with other industry stakeholders, we firmly believe that confidence in the supplies of food for our pets and our families can be restored.

As always, if you have any questions, we are happy to help. You can reach us at 1-800-225-0904.

Jim Scott
Chief Executive Officer
Deborah Ellinger
President

Sharon
21st April 2007, 01:11 AM
Well, I have thrown away the last of the RC that was in his food container, and will take the unsealed bag back to the store next week. In the meantime, Wrigley had ground sirloin with pasta for lunch and was more than a happy chappie!

Will do some research before buying any other dry dog food.

Harley & Carley
21st April 2007, 02:58 AM
Do any of you know of a wheat-gluten free, rice protein free, corn gluten free dog food that is carried by petco or petsmart? We do not have any other pet stores here, and I am currently feeding RC puppy 33/special 30 which has corn gluten meal. It hasnt been recalled yet, but I am afraid now that it is only a matter of time.
My girls are really picky eaters, so I want to give them something they will eat easily.
Should I just go to chicken & rice until I can find something or order online? How long can they be on a diet of chicken & rice with veggies and fruit?
I have seen the evo and wellness suggested - is one of them a small size kibble and easy to chew? My girls are tiny at 7 1/2 months.
I also have the natural balance turkey roll for treats. It is a dog food and doesnt have any of the above ingredients. Can I just give them that with fruit and veggies?
I dont have experience with anything other that commercially prepared kibble and dont them to miss out on any nutrition.
Thanks so much.
Ginger

moniechris
21st April 2007, 03:24 AM
Petco carries Solid Gold, which is a great quality food. They have a brand called "Barking at the Moon" which is grain free and my dogs loved the sample I brought home.

Chicken Soup and Evo kibble both are very small in size. :D

Remali
21st April 2007, 03:38 AM
I just heard about this and I am so upset....it seems that this recall is just never-ending! I'm still feeding my dogs California Natural, but I am getting so nervous that I am seriously thinking of starting to home-cook their food.

natalieandmike
21st April 2007, 03:40 AM
We seemed to have lucked out (knock on wood) on this one. Bianca eats Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken. The size of the food is like M and M's; I do not know if you consider this "small" or not. Seems small to me! She really likes it. I mix it with veggies/salmon oil , a teaspoon of their canned turkey/sweet potato mix, and Angel eyes once in awhile. Quite the concoction. Maybe I will try home cooking. Maybe I will actually cook for MYSELF once in awhile. But Bianca loves Solid gold. They were very prompt on the phone when we called them and answered knowledgeably right away our list of questions, and emailed us back promptly (we didn't know which one would be faster). -Natalie

Harley & Carley
21st April 2007, 03:53 AM
Should I start with boiled chicken and rice and slowly add the new food or leave them on the current RC corn gluten meal (not recalled yet) and start adding the new food?

Can puppies have too much protein? The howl at the moon looks great but has such a high protein content. What is the advantage of that much versus 28-32percent protein?

Caraline
21st April 2007, 03:57 AM
Hey guys, I am certainly no expert on home cooking. In fact my guys only completed the conversion a couple of weeks ago, and I am still awaiting some books on the subject. What I feel I can share with you, with confidence is that if you feed your dogs most of the fresh & nutritious things you'd feed your family, with the exception of the few foods that are toxic to dogs, you will be giving your dog most (if not all) of the nutrients they need, at least to be safe for many, many weeks. If you think you'd like to home-prepare full time, then like me, I'd suggest getting some books on the subject. But for short-term, I honestly think it is far safer than what is currently going down, there in the USA. If you decide to give it a go, then just start gently with only a few ingredients you know your dog can tolerate, and then over time, add a new food to see how your dog tolerates it.

My guys are currently getting a variety of cooked & raw meats, chicken necks (that not everyone is comfortable feeding), a variety of vegetables, a variety of fruits, and grains like rice, rolled oats, barley. They also get cheese, yoghurt, milk is small quantities.

You guys with allergy prone dogs would have to be careful what you are doing, but I honestly think with a little forethought, you can provide your dogs with healthy safe meals.... at least until this very worrying situation settles down.

Om's Mom
22nd April 2007, 04:34 AM
Lots of good information in this thread....I had only just started Om on Solid Gold, Just a Wee Bit Adult (bison)
Small Breed Adult Food. She's doing okay, but I see her coat is dulling and more dry. I don't know if there's a connection. We were rotating around Natural Balance's selections. Both Solid Gold and Natural Balance have been sold the rice protein concentrate by Wilbur Ellis, who bought it from China. It has been used on only certain, already mentioned foods. However, Wilbur Ellis sold the rice protein concentrate to five different firms and have named only two at this date. Those two being Solid Gold and NAtrual Balance. Who will the other three be? The stuff they sold to the hog farmers was called "salvage." Our pigs are eating salvaged,unfit-for- dogs food. We eat the pigs. Sheesh! I stopped eating beef when, as someone else wrote on this thread, that the cows were fed dead or sick cows (after rendering) Cows aren't cow eaters! They eat grass. What are any of us really getting?

I have read on the L list that Solid Gold is made by Diamond PEt Foods. I have not yet been able to find a site that tells definitely exactly Who makes What. Even knowing Who makes What, we don't know Who is buying What from Whom to pour over What we finaly put in front of our dogs!!!!!!!!!!!Whew! Does that make sense?

I have a couple links to share on another post. I 'm going to get Om another bag of Canidae All Life Stages, which I've always kept in the mix for her.

Dorothy

Kodee
22nd April 2007, 06:32 AM
Both Solid Gold and Natural Balance have been sold the rice protein concentrate by Wilbur Ellis, who bought it from China.
Solid Gold from what I understand is not on the recall list - this is from their website:
Re: Natural Balance Product Removal / Menu Foods

We at Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc. ("Solid Gold') realize that consumers are very concerned with the recent product food recalls. We would like to assure our customers that there are no safety concerns with Solid Gold products. The product recalls and removals have centered around ingredients sourced in China, in particular wheat gluten and now rice protein concentrate. These products are thought to be contaminated with melamine. Neither of these ingredients are used in any Solid Gold food products, nor do we source any ingredients from China, either directly or indirectly. We do not use gluten meal of any kind in any of our foods.

All the ingredients in Solid Gold products are sourced domestically with three exceptions. The lamb meal used in our dry foods is sourced from New Zealand, which produces some of the cleanest meat in the world. The potato protein used in Barking at the Moon is sourced in Europe. Our Blended Tuna canned cat food (grain free) is produced offshore due to the lack of tuna processing plants in the United States.

Sincerely,

Steven J. Wirick
Chief Operating Officer
Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc.

Tel. # 800-364-4863
Fax # 619-258-3907

Justine
22nd April 2007, 05:08 PM
what about here in ireland.

Karlin
22nd April 2007, 05:11 PM
No foods of any brand have been recalled in Ireland, the UK, or Europe generally.

Manufacturing plants are entirely separate.

Karlin
22nd April 2007, 05:12 PM
The FDA website, which I have stickied at the top of the Diet and Helath section, lists all foods that have been taken off the shelves.