PDA

View Full Version : Lily Is Out of Surgery

Shay
20th April 2007, 05:27 PM
The Vet just called and Lily did fine, and was beginning to pick her little head up and look around. He found a growth on her right ovary the size of a bebe which was attached to her uterine horn. He said even a growth this small will cause the extra production of hormones which was causing her to go into recurring heat. He said he does not think it was anything other than a cyst because she is so young and cancer would be rare. He keeps the growth that he removed for at least six months in case she was to start bleeding again or she has any further problems. If that were to happen, he would then send it off for a biopsy. I am relieved and can't wait to pick her up. He said anytime after four as long as she is still doing well.

molly
20th April 2007, 05:34 PM
Wow, I'm so glad to hear that everthing went well and that the vet found a reason for the problem! What a relief to hear such great news. Hugs to you and Lily.:flwr:

Gracie's Mommy
20th April 2007, 05:39 PM
Shay, I was just thinking about you and Lily! So glad to hear that she's doing well post-surgery and that you have an answer to the problem! Let us know how her recover goes!

Zippy
20th April 2007, 05:41 PM
I'm so relieved for both yourself and Lily.

Now you can relax and have a big cuddle when you pick her up. :)

Hopefully, it'll be clear sailing from here on in!! :xfngr:

moniechris
20th April 2007, 06:28 PM
What a good vet you have!! And what a good mommy lily has! :D I hope her recovery time is quick and that all else goes smoothly:xfngr:

PamH
20th April 2007, 06:34 PM
Hugs and licks.
So glad to hear this.
Pam and Maddy

coconut
20th April 2007, 06:52 PM
Glad to here that she is doing ok shay :), hugs from me and the boys:luv:

Lindsay
20th April 2007, 06:59 PM
So glad to hear that she did well and that the vet has a positive outlook on her. I hope for a speedy recovery! :flwr: :hug:

George19
20th April 2007, 07:49 PM
Glad to hear Lilys doing well:flwr:

Linda
20th April 2007, 07:57 PM
Phew what a relief Shay, sounds like a great Vet toooooooo.:) :)

She will be groggy, extra cuddling time for you both.:hug:

Give her a cuddle & kiss from me and the boys pleeeeeeeeeeeze.:lotsaluv: :flwr: :flwr:

Azriel
20th April 2007, 10:38 PM
so glad to hear she is out of surgery fine and you have an answer. well wishes for the rest of her recovery!!

Denise G.
20th April 2007, 10:59 PM
So glad to hear Lily is doing good!! You must be so relieved, Shay.

Give Lilly hugs from my crew. I'm sure she'll feel better just being back with you. :flwr:

Cathy Moon
20th April 2007, 11:10 PM
So glad she's doing well and the vet's news sounds good. Hugs to you and Lily!

natalieandmike
20th April 2007, 11:14 PM
Hooray for you both! So glad it went well. (and just in time for Friday cocktails! ;) -Natalie

Tippi
20th April 2007, 11:23 PM
Best of luck Lily and Mum...

Shay
20th April 2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your well wishes! The little patient is home and is pretty pitiful. She just lies there and follows us with those big old sad eyes. She doesn't seem to be in too much pain, but the Vet sent her home with pain meds and said she can have one before she goes to bed. She is in her Daddy's lap on her sheep skin mat at the moment.

For those of you who commented on the Vet. I have to tell you this is a new Vet. The Vet I used for 13 years when I had Chloe did not do her surgery. That Vet is a good 35 to 40 mins from me since we built our house. I have been using this new Vet who is 3 mins away from me at the entrance to my subdivision. He has turned out to be wonderful. The first day I went there, I see his diploma is from LSU, same college where I graduated. As it turns out, he lost everything in Katrina and moved here. He actually lives right down the street from me and I didn't know it. I have heard nothing but raves about him since I started using him. I was very impressed when we picked her up and he came out and explained why he is keeping the tissue and the growth he removed. He said that if he had to go back in for any reason (like she started bleeding again) at a later date, he would be able to compare that tissue, to whatever might be there in a future surgery. I was very impressed by that. Anyway, thanks again for all the well wishes and prayers, it most definitely helped me get through this today. Lily says thank you too!

Roxanne
20th April 2007, 11:59 PM
Awwww being from New Orleans I can relate ! Did he have a practice here ? I wonder where ?? I'm glad she is home and safe . Soft belly rubs and kisses to her !

Caraline
21st April 2007, 12:01 AM
I am so glad the surgery is all over & done with and she is home safe & sound with you. It is a good thing that cyst is out now. Hopefully everything will settle down. :hug:

Shay
21st April 2007, 12:07 AM
Awwww being from New Orleans I can relate ! Did he have a practice here ? I wonder where ?? I'm glad she is home and safe . Soft belly rubs and kisses to her !

Hi Roxanne......He and his wife and two little girls lived in Lakeview. His practice was on Airline Highway.

Joanne M
21st April 2007, 12:52 AM
Shay I'm so relieved for you that Lily is home and was in such good hands. I would love to have the relationship you describe with Tucker's Vet. He sounds wonderful. I'm sure her Daddy's lap is the best place for Lily right now, other than your lap of course. Thank God everything went so well today. I hope your little girl is back to her old self soon. Hugs and kisses to you both. Take care.

duncans_ma
21st April 2007, 01:12 AM
Shay,
I am just getting to this as we have travelled last night and have had a very busy day today. I am glad that Lily is home and seems to be doing well.

A story I have not shared......When Duncan was little but after his neuter (7 or 8 months) he developed a horrible inguinal hernia...it was HUGE. We had it removed and our vet (at the time) said "she had no idea what it was but it looked like a third testicle." We chuckled and went about healing our buddy. About 2 days later there was and egg sized, hard as a rock growth at the hernia site. We paniced and went to the ER vet that night. They told us they thought it was a suture reaction, tried to aspirate it to know avail and then told us to see our vet in the morning. Our vet (again, former) wanted to open him up AGAIN. 3rd time in 3 months and 2nd that week!! We thought better of it - asked for the "speciman" from the hernia surgery - and met my in-laws 1/2 way to B'ham to see thier vet (Becker Animal Clinic in Homewood) Dr Becker first recommended that we get a new vet, and the IMMEDIATELY sent the removed tissue for a biopsy at no charge to us after confirming the ER vet's diagnosis. The moral of my diatribe....He said, "if it was worth removing it was worth testing"... and while your vet sounds excellent otherwise and has acted very quickly and seemingly correctly with Lily I just wanted you to hear another perspective. I am sure Lily is fine, just as Duncan is, but I loved knowing that we were 100% confident that what came out of our little boy was just herniated tissue, not a third testicle :D or other ailment.

I will say that my DH still tells Duncan he was blessed with 3.

Kodee
21st April 2007, 01:19 AM
What a relief for you!! I get those nasty cysts from time to time and (well in female humans i know this to be true so I dont see why dogs woulld be different) they are always almost beign little nothings that just play havoc when there. Good to know they can be kept and then sent, what a smart idea!

Shay
21st April 2007, 01:58 AM
and met my in-laws 1/2 way to B'ham to see their vet (Becker Animal Clinic in Homewood) Dr Becker first recommended that we get a new vet, and the IMMEDIATELY sent the removed tissue for a biopsy at no charge to us after confirming the ER vet's diagnosis.
Hi Ashley.....I appreciate the heads up. Believe it or not, the Vets I used for 13 years for Chloe was Becker Animal Clinic. I actually used Dr. Riley. Dr. Becker is semi retired now. I agree, they are wonderful. Dr. Riley saved Chloe's life more than once and was the Vet who put her to sleep as well and cried with me, sent me a beautiful plant, and an angel doggy pin. I brought Lily to Dr. Riley when we first got her and once after that. I figured I would try this new Vet for routine stuff because he was so close, but if anything life threatening should happen to Lily, I would go to Dr. Riley. As it turned out, I really liked this Vet. He always takes so much time with Lily and seems to be very thorough. I was a little concerned that he didn't send it off, but as he explained it, at this time there is no need, because everything in there is gone, so if it was anything, it is gone now. He said he was 99% sure it was just a cyst, but would keep the tissue for 6 months or so, just in case. Hope you have a great weekend in B'ham.

Cathy T
21st April 2007, 02:12 AM
I immediately thought the same thing Ashley mentioned. But if he's that sure than I wouldn't worry. Jake's growth was sent out and turned out to be cancerous and they thought it wasn't. Don't want to alarm you....again, if he's that sure, I'm sure it's okay.

So glad she's home and doing well. Your vet sounds like a real charm.

Shay
21st April 2007, 02:21 AM
I immediately thought the same thing Ashley mentioned. But if he's that sure than I wouldn't worry. Jake's growth was sent out and turned out to be cancerous and they thought it wasn't. Don't want to alarm you....again, if he's that sure, I'm sure it's okay.

So glad she's home and doing well. Your vet sounds like a real charm.

o.k. now I'm worried! Why would he have not sent it off? Is it standard to send it off? Should I ask him to go ahead and send it off? What kind of growth did Jake have? Sorry for all the questions, I am very concerned now that he should have sent it off. I wonder if I am missing something in what he said. I am going to have my husband call him tomorrow.

Zippy
21st April 2007, 03:10 AM
Shay,

I concur, the cyst or the fluid from it, should be biopsied at the time of removal.

Good idea to request that he send it out now. You need to know 100%. :)

Mom_of_2_Cavies
21st April 2007, 03:56 AM
Shay, I couldn't go to bed tonight without checking in to see how Lily's surgery went. I'm so glad she's fine and doing well tonight.

Even though I expect that the vet's judgment is probably correct--that the odds are strongly in Lily's favor that this is something benign--maybe it does make sense from a peace-of-mind standpoint to go ahead and have him get it biopsied now. Probably part of his reasoning is that even if it turns out to be something malignant, right now there would be nothing to treat since he took everything out. However, personally, I'd probably rather know for sure now that it is benign. (And he has no idea how much other "expert advice" you have access to! :) )

I hope that Lily will be feeling much, much better tomorrow! I'm sure she'll be back to herself in short order.

natalieandmike
21st April 2007, 04:10 AM
err...point of clarification, it has already been "biopsied"-that refers to the mechanical process of removing the tissue. It will need to be "read" or "examined" --that refers to microscopic and/or gross analysis by a veterinary pathologist or similar such entity. Sorry to be pedantic. --Natalie:dogwlk:

Bianca adds" I don't care what you call it. Is it ham or not?"

duncans_ma
21st April 2007, 04:19 AM
Shay, I really did not mean to alarm, I just wanted to tell you our experience. I trust that you and your vet will do everything right by Lily. When our vet initially did not send out the tissue, I was not concerned. Then when Dr Becker made is very simple but logical statement about why not get it checked it just made sense.

I just wanted to give you an additional perspective. I am sure that Lily is alright.

Shay
21st April 2007, 04:51 AM
Oh no Ashley....I really appreciate your concern. I am a worry wort by nature. I drive my hubby crazy. Everything you said made sense, and I had wondered why he didn't send it off too, but after he explained that he took out everything, which he said is the best course of treatment, that made sense too. That if it was anything, it is gone now. But, just to be on the safe side, I am going to ask him to send it off. Thanks for your concern for Lily. I would feel terrible if it was something and I didn't follow up. Thanks to you and Cathy for telling me your stories.

*Pauline*
21st April 2007, 10:14 AM
I hope Lily is feeling better this morning xxxx

KimNIndy
21st April 2007, 11:11 AM
shay i'm so glad to hear that everything went well for lily and that there is finally an answer to why she's been going through so much. extra cuddles from indy and i and i'm sure she's getting loads from you already :-)

k

chestersmum
21st April 2007, 12:21 PM
Shay,

Chester and i just want to contribute our hugs and kisses and best wishes to you and especially Lily on a speedy recovery!:lotsaluv::D :hug: :D:lotsaluv:

Lynn
21st April 2007, 12:36 PM
Hi Shay & Lily...such great news that Lily is ok!! Big puppy (((Hugs))) from Molly & Max. I hope she feels better very soon. :dogwlk:

enchantingdragon
22nd April 2007, 03:07 PM
Im glad Lily is on the mend Shay! :D

Shay
22nd April 2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone for checking on Lily. She is back to her self this morning playing and jumping on the sofa. It is hard to keep her still. Her appetite is out of control. She is acting like she is starving. She had not been that interested in her food for several weeks before her surgery. She has had no bleeding what so ever. The vet said that because she was in full blown heat, she may continue to bleed for several days, but nothing. This is a good thing. :rah: We have decided to talk to the Vet again when we take her back to have her stitches removed as to why he did not think it necessary to send off the tissue and growth. I think his issue was that the course of action if it would have been anything, is to remove all of her females organ. Everything is gone now, so I guess that's why he decided not to send it off. I just want to be certain that I understood him correctly as to why he didn't feel the need to have it read. We more than likely will ask him to go ahead and send it off.

Thanks again for all your concern for Lily and me.:thnku:

Cathy T
22nd April 2007, 04:15 PM
So glad Lily is bouncing back so well. Let us know what your vet says re the sample. I'm curious. Here's to a full and complete recovery and a long and happy and healthy life!!!:hug:

I didn't mean to upset or concern you. As is usually the case with my two (Shelby's failed knee surgery) Jake's results were completely and totally unexpected. The vet was fairly certain it was a benign growth...after all, the dog was only 2 years old and the chances that it was cancerous were slim. Unfortunately....we again beat the odds. Everything is great now but it could have been disastrous. Tell your vet about our stories and get his view. I'm not a vet (duh!) so what's going on with Lily could be nothing compared to my experience.

Maxxs_Mummy
22nd April 2007, 04:17 PM
Shay,

So sorry that Lily has been a poorly baby. Hope she makes a speedy recovery :hug:

Shay
22nd April 2007, 06:24 PM
I didn't mean to upset or concern you. As is usually the case with my two (Shelby's failed knee surgery) Jake's results were completely and totally unexpected.

Oh no Cathy, you did not upset me. I just appreciate you and Ashley sharing your stories. I have PM'd you.

Gracie's Mommy
23rd April 2007, 03:03 AM
Shay...how is Lily doing today?

Shay
23rd April 2007, 03:51 AM
Shay...how is Lily doing today?

She's doing great. Her appetite is off the charts, which it wasn't before her surgery. She's pooping and peeing fine. She played like crazy today as was jumping around like a little rabbit, on and off the furniture. I finally had to put her in her crate for a while to keep her still. You would never know she had surgery 2 days ago. How's little Gracie doing?

Caraline
23rd April 2007, 06:34 AM
We have decided to talk to the Vet again when we take her back to have her stitches removed as to why he did not think it necessary to send off the tissue and growth. I think his issue was that the course of action if it would have been anything, is to remove all of her females organ. Everything is gone now, so I guess that's why he decided not to send it off. I just want to be certain that I understood him correctly as to why he didn't feel the need to have it read. We more than likely will ask him to go ahead and send it off.

Hi Shay, I think you are on the right track about why your vet didn't send the cyst off to a lab. We have had this exact same situation and our vet has said that in the end, putting us through the additional expense of pathology (which is very expensive here in Au) would have been academic and would not have changed the dogs pronosis, nor the treatment. He said that if it was benign then there was nothing to do about it, and if it was canerous there also was nothing to do about it, because it had all been done, and we would then be fretting over something we couldn't change. Still, if it would ease your mind to have some path run on it, then why not.

Gracie's Mommy
23rd April 2007, 02:36 PM
So happy to hear that Lily is doing well! I'll be interested to hear what the vet has to say about sending the sample off for biopsy. I'm sure he's right on track, but do whatever makes you feel like you've covered all your bases!

Gracie is doing well! Thanks for asking. She doesn't seem quite as up and about as Lily, though! She's running and playing, but won't jump up the furniture or run up the stairs...she walks pretty slowly up them, instead. But, everyday she gets a little more back to her old self, so we expect to be seing these things again before too long!

Shay
23rd April 2007, 03:26 PM
Hi Shay, I think you are on the right track about why your vet didn't send the cyst off to a lab. We have had this exact same situation and our vet has said that in the end, putting us through the additional expense of pathology (which is very expensive here in Au) would have been academic and would not have changed the dogs pronosis, nor the treatment. He said that if it was benign then there was nothing to do about it, and if it was canerous there also was nothing to do about it, because it had all been done, and we would then be fretting over something we couldn't change. Still, if it would ease your mind to have some path run on it, then why not.

Hi Caraline....Thanks for sharing your story and I think you are right and that this is the reason he did not send it off. When I talk to him when we bring her back, I just want to confirm that this was why. I have no idea what it would cost to read the biopsy, but I do have pet ins. Even though it doesn't pay for routine spays, I am wondering if they may pay for this surgery because it really wasn't routine, in the sense that the cyst was the reason for the recurrent heat. If they do pay, then I would think they would pay for the biopsy to be read as well. Hey, it's worth a try anyway :wink:.

Gracie is doing well! Thanks for asking. She doesn't seem quite as up and about as Lily, though! She's running and playing, but won't jump up the furniture or run up the stairs...she walks pretty slowly up them, instead. But, everyday she gets a little more back to her old self, so we expect to be seing these things again before too long!

Hi Lindsay...Well, Lily is not as peppy this morning. She woke up twice last night whimpering the most pitiful sound she could muster. We had to take her out twice, and she pooped and peed both times. This is unusual for her, she never gets up during the night. I did give her a pain pill last night, so I'm not sure what was going on. This morning she seems to be afraid to jump and is mostly sleeping. She obviously overdid it yesterday. She had company, my brother, SIL and my Mom came to see her. She adores my Mom and was all over her, bringing her toys and wanting to play. I am going to keep her as still as possible today. Her incision looks good though, so no problems there. I'm glad Gracie is doing better too, I think they are both on the road to recovery! :thmbsup: