PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done anything with home pages?

Karlin
20th April 2007, 08:49 PM
I am not sure what to do with a homepage and was curious if anyone has begun to set them up.

Kodee
21st April 2007, 05:05 AM
Maybe you can explain (from what you know) what they are for. I thought it was just to show if you were members of other zoint communities. Is that correct or is there more to it?

Remali
21st April 2007, 05:37 AM
Funny....I was JUST about to check out the Homepages, and I was wondering the same thing too. LOL!

Karlin
22nd April 2007, 08:35 PM
You can put any of the existing blocks onto your home page, so you could make it a gallery (as long as you are keeping file sizes small you can put up quite a few photo blocks), or create custom blocks and put them there, or whatever. It seems the default use is to show all your community links -- but we don't really have those. It may make more sense just to make the homepage inactive, actually, as people can add a second profile page anyway.

Molly's mom
22nd April 2007, 08:48 PM
Karlin,

This is the error message I have been getting when trying to add a "block":

"You do not have sufficient privileges to view this page."

I accidentally turned off the "quotes" block and when I try to turn it back on, I get the same error message.

:bang:

Davy
22nd April 2007, 10:09 PM
Hey just added a youtube video to mine:cool:,

shame it had to be someone else video. :o

you can add youtube or google videos for those of you who put your videos on these sites. ;)

Karlin
22nd April 2007, 11:28 PM
Bev, you can turn the block back on (or rather, add it back in) by going to the profile menu and clicking on 'add new block'. Then you can select from the column on the right -- just scroll to the quotes block and double click it. Then it will ask where you want to put it and just say 'profile'. I just tried doing this with my test membership which is set as normal registration and that worked.

Also -- Firefox and Internet Explorer are supported browsers, Safari and others aren't, so I have found some things work in Safari and some don't, just in case you are using a different browser.

I haven't locked any of the pages so everyone should be able to change colours, move and add blocks, etc.

Davy how did you do the blocks for your different sections? Eg the loves and hates ones etc?

Molly's mom
22nd April 2007, 11:37 PM
:confused:
Karlin,
I'm still having the same problem. I do exactly what you said, and what I double click on "my quotes" or any of the others, first it says "requesting content" then it says

http://board.cavaliertalk.com//z/images/navbar/forum.png (http://board.cavaliertalk.com/)http://board.cavaliertalk.com//z/images/navbar/search.png (http://board.cavaliertalk.com//z/search.php)http://board.cavaliertalk.com//z/images/navbar/communities.png (http://zoints.com/communities/)http://board.cavaliertalk.com//z/images/navbar/join.png (http://board.cavaliertalk.com/register.php)

Zoints Message
You do not have sufficient privileges to view this page.

Davy
22nd April 2007, 11:50 PM
Davy how did you do the blocks for your different sections? Eg the loves and hates ones etc?

on the profile section click on add new blocks, then click on Create Custom Content Block and just put any name you want in the title bit.

Karlin
23rd April 2007, 12:04 AM
Hmmm, can't explain why it won't work. What browser are you using? When you turned off the quotes, did you delete it by clicking on the x?

Caraline
23rd April 2007, 12:07 AM
Hey just added a youtube video to mine:cool:,

Ya clever thing! What a determined weeder that little fellow is. Thanks for the morning chuckle :D

Karlin
23rd April 2007, 12:09 AM
OK I can see the quotes block on your page -- did it work to add it back in? I also logged in as you and had no problem adding another block for quotes -- but then I saw yours was already there. BTW if you add more than one quote, it rotates through them so you get a different one each time, I guess.

Karlin
23rd April 2007, 12:49 AM
I can see what my problem was -- in Safari, if you try to create a new block, it wants you to set it up using some code. In Firefox, I get the wyswig editor and can see how you just put what you want into the block. I'll have to remember to log in with Firefox when I want to work on my profile.

Molly's mom
23rd April 2007, 03:21 AM
I can see what my problem was -- in Safari, if you try to create a new block, it wants you to set it up using some code. In Firefox, I get the wyswig editor and can see how you just put what you want into the block. I'll have to remember to log in with Firefox when I want to work on my profile.

I figured it out thanks to you Karlin :)

I typically use MSN's browser, but brought up IE and it worked fine :thmbsup:

Remali
23rd April 2007, 04:18 AM
I was able to add things and change the background color....but that was all I could figure out how to do for now.....pretty computer challenged here....but I will muddle on and try and figure it out...LOL!

Kodee
23rd April 2007, 07:55 AM
Molly I have had this happen a few times. For whatever reason sometimes it just boots me out and I have to sign in again at Cavalier Talk and then I'm back in the game.

Karlin
23rd April 2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah it can be a bit buggy I think. However Zoints is only coded to work well on IE or Firefox -- other browsers are not supported -- so just using a different browser may solve glitches.

Safari lets me do most things but I get the whole WYSIWIG ease of use on Firefox. I typically have both browsers open anyway, so it isn't too much oif a hassle.

Friday's Mommy
23rd April 2007, 08:12 PM
Karlin,

Do you know how get pictures into the custom blocks? I went to the custom block page but can't get it into the block. I've tried from my own pics and flicker. Any help?

Kodee
23rd April 2007, 08:43 PM
Karlin,

Do you know how get pictures into the custom blocks? I went to the custom block page but can't get it into the block. I've tried from my own pics and flicker. Any help?
On the profile page - choose edit page - edit block and choose block i.e. All about me. Then when options appear to right click background 1 etc.. you'll see beside the colour they are currently using or block colour bar "upload image".

Friday's Mommy
23rd April 2007, 08:59 PM
Ohhhh...Thank you so much!! I'll have to work on it again this evening. My husband is a computer engineer but I'm very computer challanged. These pages are fun to put together.

casshon
23rd April 2007, 11:00 PM
Fridays Mommy - your homepage looks great!

I started mine today. Even did a dogblog entry (this is going to keep me from getting bored in work - shhh don't tell anyone :D )

Karlin
23rd April 2007, 11:16 PM
Right now I have people set to have 1mb of space for their pages. That means you can do quite a few pics if you reduce the size. If you are using Flickr, download the Flickr Uploader tool (in Tools). Then, when you drag and drop a pic onto the uploader, it asks if you want them resized to take less space. You can place them on Flickr then download the small size and upload it to your profile and it will be a fairly small size. Others may be able to reduce pics using Paint or photo management software.

casshon
23rd April 2007, 11:49 PM
I have started messing around with my profile page and home page. I hope this isn't a stupid question but what is the difference?

Remali
24th April 2007, 12:48 AM
LOL! I was wonderin' the same thing too casshon.....are the profile page and home page one and the same?

Friday's Mommy
24th April 2007, 04:28 AM
I'm so frustrated! I've tried to upload a pic into a block and everytime I push upload in only loads the background pic I used for the whole profile. I've tried my pics on the computer and flicker.

I hit background I then upload and it says refreshing picture and loads the paw prints picture. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Crittercall
24th April 2007, 04:55 AM
Wow, I can't even figure out how to get my avatar with my name. I'm seriously computer challenged!!

Kodee
24th April 2007, 05:41 AM
Hi I am posting for Davey as she is having trouble - but here is an answer to photo issue:

Hiya

for some reason I can't post on the board at the moment .

But in answer to the how to post photos in the homepage you just need to click on profile then new blocks and then select photosfrom the middle section, chose which page you want it to go on (homepage or profile) and you have a new photo block. you can load as many as you want.

Donna (Davy)

I will go try it out and see if i have your same problem in a bit

Kodee
24th April 2007, 07:05 AM
Wow, I can't even figure out how to get my avatar with my name. I'm seriously computer challenged!!When your logged in, go to top of page and click on far left, "User CP" then scroll down to "Edit Avatar"! Upload your image with a limit of 75pixels height.

Caraline
24th April 2007, 10:01 AM
I hope this isn't a stupid question but what is the difference?

I was wondering that too. icon_nwunsure

Kodee
24th April 2007, 05:08 PM
I am good at wasting my time - I fooled around with the homepage last night but gave up. The real reason for the homepage is to show what other communities your linked to besides Cavalier Talk but you can edit the page as Karlin mentioned to use for other things. I tried to no avail last night to set it up as a photo gallery. I was able to import pics but I couldnt change the layout. When I tried to it wanted to change my profile page along with any layout choices I made. Then I got tired and lost interest ;) so went to bed. Davey has a knack for these things so I am taking the wait and watch approach on this one :cool:

Also Casshon left me a comment on my profile page - thanks! I replied but for whatever reason the actually comment doesnt show nor does my reply? Little quirks with the zoint set up now and again one day but gone the next. Oh well, its just a fun little extra and not a big deal, as long as the important posts at C.T. keep going up I am happy.

Crittercall
24th April 2007, 06:06 PM
I'm a good time waster too, Debbie, especially when sitting at the computer! (Like right now I should be in the shower, doing laundry, finding something to eat, etc.) I looked over the home page, etc., but decided not to go too deep. I looked into the avatar this a.m.; the original was two pictures put together (duh) but may change on this one:) if I can get it figured out!

Friday's Mommy
24th April 2007, 07:47 PM
Boy, you can say that again...It sure can be a time waster, but it's fun. I finally had to employ the hubby's help and he said he would help me tonight. I realized what I was doing wrong. I've never done anything like this before so it became a challange. Today it's a blizzard and work was cancelled...yeah!...snow day!!!! ...so here I am again........

*Jenný*
24th April 2007, 07:55 PM
I love it! It's so good to be able to post news about your doggies that wouldn't quite make to threads.

Kodee
24th April 2007, 08:50 PM
Today it's a blizzard and work was cancelled...yeah!...snow day!!!! ...so here I am again........:yikes Oh poor you :flwr:

Crittercall
24th April 2007, 11:08 PM
Today it's a blizzard and work was cancelled...yeah!...snow day!!!! ...so here I am again........

A freakin' blizzard?? I'm glad I'm not you. It's supposed to be in the high 80's here tomorrow and in the 90's by the end of the week. That's a bit warmer than I really like, but I sure don't like to be cold!!

I'm glad you're here with us. I spend so much time hanging out in the Pub that I forget to welcome newcomers!