• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppia sizes ;)

tsorningold

I am ordering a puppia for my soon to be ruby, but wanted to know what sizes you all use or have used.
From what I have read it seems that many people bought a puppy size and an adult size.

Also what training collars do people use? For my setter I used the gentle leader (which I love) but this might not be suitable for the muzzle of a cavalier. ( they also make a gentle leader harness which I will be trying)
thanks,
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I bought a medium and it still doesn't fit, exactly. At around 4 months old when I first started walking Ollie properly, it was loose but not too loose. If he grows out of it later I know it will have gotten a pretty good run because it still isn't a perfect fit around the chest.

I don't use a training collar for Ollie, so maybe other people on the board can help you out there :flwr:

Emily

I think it will be better using a gentle leader harness instead of the other kind. We used it for Casey and it works well.

Gracie is 9 lbs and is just about to outgrow her small Puppia. We've ordered a new medium one from the spring line, but probably won't receive it until next week. I suspect that a medium will work fine for her at full size, though.

Kelly, when we got Beau I bought through eBay 3; one each of small, medium & large. Beau who is now 16 weeks old and weighs 5 kilograms (about 11 lbs) is just about to leave his small behind in favour of the medium. My adult Sonny who is 8 kilograms (about 17 lbs) wears a large, but with the tummy strap on the smallest setting. It is his noggin & chest that needs the larger size. I am pretty sure that it won't be long before Beau needs the large, as going on his 16 weeks weight, I think he is going to be a big lad.

Teddy wore the small puppia up until about 16 weeks or so, and then moved on to the medium. Since we didn't go out for walks until he was 18 weeks (after his last set of shots), he only wore his small size to puppy class 5 times. He looked adorable in it, but just didn't get much use out of it :)

I use the gentle leader for my 3 year old cavalier and it actually fits him great. I think he has a little bit longer of a nose than some cavaliers, so you would have to test it out when he gets old enough. I just went to petsmart and tried it on him.

Kodee started in the small and still wears it at 12 lbs but she is literally days away from being to big for it. A medium never would have fit her from 8wks till now 16 wks. It is the mesh style but I have heard the cotton or polyester ones (patterned) fit a bit smaller.

I used the gentle leader for my lab and really loved it. But I definately think it would be overkill correction for Kodee. She went through the new to leash pull drama but not for long - at 16 wks she walks nicely on a lead and collar. But I use the puppia for class and park where she is more excited - it calms and gives me more control then.

Back