• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Questiona bout crate training

Battie4

I have a question about crate training and tha tis when the puppy is being crate trained say for example you have to run out for an hour or so and you put the pup in the crate do you leave a bowl of water in the crate while you are gone? And would you leave a bowl of water in the crate at night when they are sleeping? Any info is appreciated!!

Bowls of water in the crate are a problem because they get knocked over. I use a watering device similar to a guinea-pig waterer. I'll see if I can find a picture of one to post up here later.

If you are going out, I would definitely leave water in there, because if, say for example your car broke down & you were caught away for longer than you expected, you'd be frantic about getting back.

Most people don't leave water in over night because if the puppy drinks a lot through the night you'll be getting up to let him pee too often. Having said that, I do leave the watering device in overnight because I couldn't be bothered detaching it every day. If it turned out to be a problem I would have started taking it away, but so far it hasn't presented a problem, so there it stays.

Here is the gadget I am using. You can use any PET bottle with it

od200.jpg

Last edited:
For just a couple hours I don't think you need to provide water. For overnight, you may get several opinions on this, but we stop providing water to our puppies overnight at about 5 months old.

We have used the type of watering device that Caraline showed and it worked fine. The only problem we ever had was that they would ocaisionally start to drip. What we mostly use now is a water dish that has what looks like a slotted bolt that slides over one of the vertical wires of a crate and then a large plastic nut screws on to that.

I would definitely say no. We only offer unlimited water if she is out of the crate and we are with her. If she has water in the crate, she'll probably knock it over, or she'll drink a lot and in turn pee in the crate.

A puupyb who became wet because it couldn't get away from a spillage could get very distressed. I know what you mean about the drips, Bruce. I've had dozens of hamster versions suddenly leak, for no obvious reason, and soak the poor hamster's sawdust

I had the bowl Bruce described on Jake's crate as a baby. I would leave the bowl there when I left during the day (max 2 hours for the first few months). The bowl was always removed from the crate at night.

For us, water in the crate was just never an option, or he would knock it over and everything would be wet. I know I have seen some times of water hamster style things you can hook onto the crate though so that they can still have water, so you may want to look into that.

Back