• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Food

niamhx

Is pedigree chum puppy food ok the dried one I put boiling water on it first to soften it. Finn likes it. I fed my last dog on pedigree chum she lived happily for 12 yrs she was a cocker spaniel. Im learning king charles lol.

Any food sold as a pet food will meet minimum nutritional standards but from that point on, quality varies enormously. Pedigree Chum is not a great food -- anything that can be bought at a supermarket tends to be very mediocre quality (eg you get what you pay for -- to keep foods that cheap, the dry foods use mediocre ingredients. Instead of meat, you'll see by products and various kinds of 'meal', for example), plus lots of fillers like rice hulls. Most supermarket brands also have artificial colours (to make it look nice for you) and artificial preservatives.

You will find better quality at a good petshop. Many breeders and vets feel puppies do not need puppy food, either -- that the extra nutrients just accelerate growth whoich some feel causes bones to grow too quickly and dogs to get too lanky with poor bone structure. I fed mine on adult food.

You can see the difference with a good quality food -- dogs have smaller, firmer, less stinky stools and often stop having gas.

In Ireland, I'd be looking to feed either Burns, James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin 27 for small breeds. The only tinned food I'd go near is Butchers tripe. I've had kennels feed my three Pedigree Chum and I could not believe the size of their stools and how smelly and runny they were. There is definitely a difference between foods with a lot of filler and a quality food. (y)

i agree with karlin,we found that dogs love the stuff,but it does make there poos very smell and runny.dogs i have seen on it dont seem to do or look so healthy,we feed alfs on r/c and he loves it,his coat is lovely and of course his pooos are good.

Thank you everyone will try to find those brands I think the vet may sell them. Will ring later when they open.

Back