PDA

View Full Version : Dog Toothbrushes

petitchien
23rd April 2007, 09:49 AM
Hi - can anyone recommend a good website which sells toothbrushes and toothpaste (flavoured preferably) for dogs?

I've had a quick look and can't see anything on the normal sites I'd use.

Cheers

Caraline
23rd April 2007, 10:35 AM
I just get mine from the petshop.

Karlin
23rd April 2007, 10:52 AM
Your vet will probably sell them. I just get mine from Botanic Vets in Glasnevin, but they have three branches -- also in Clontarf and Blanchardstown. Just ask; they usully don't keep them on the counter. Lots of Irish pet shops sell them too. Petstop in Blnchardstown has sold them in the past for example. PS You cannot use human toothpaste for dogs -- they can get very ill by swallowing ingrdeints we rinse and spit. Animal toothpaste is safe for them to ingest. :)

petitchien
23rd April 2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks everyone - I'll get them from my local vet - Karlin , I've also used the one in Clontarf so I'll go there if I can't get them locally.

Thanks for the recommendations all

luvzcavs
23rd April 2007, 10:44 PM
Just a tip I found my babies mouths too small for the proper doggy toothbrushes and I use a childs toothbrush instead.

*Pauline*
24th April 2007, 01:45 AM
I get a really good one from vet-medic (I'll check the email address in the morning!) It has enzymes so even if he just licks it it does some good. Oh well let me just look now so I don't forget...

http://www.vet-medic.com/Product_Info.aspx?pCode=CETT3

This site gives free postage for wormers and is VERY cheap. My vet said I get stuff cheaper than he can at wholesale.

Karlin
24th April 2007, 10:20 AM
The brushes Anicare have have a large end and a small end -- the small end is useable on puppies or adults. :)

Caraline
24th April 2007, 11:10 AM
The ones I like for the Cavaliers look like this

http://www.dog.com/prod_images/p24050P.jpg

The ones that you put on over your finger are easy to use, but I found them a bit big for getting into the backs of little mouths.

Karlin
24th April 2007, 11:18 PM
Yep that's the model we use here -- three different colours! I also found the finger brushes hard for cavalier mouths. I found they all eventually got used to brushing. Jaspar hates it most but doesn't mind the toothpaste and has grown to tolerate brushing (you do need to work your way gradually towards doing more teeth). Lily actually gets excited at the sight of a toothbrush as it is another way of getting food. :rolleyes: She also tries to stick her face in and lick the toothbrush when I'm trying to do the other dogs. :-|

Cathy Moon
27th April 2007, 02:39 AM
Just a tip I found my babies mouths too small for the proper doggy toothbrushes and I use a childs toothbrush instead.
I have found that childrens' toothbrushes for ages 1-3 work best on my cav's teeth. It's much easier and more effective to use on their little teeth. I use Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic toothpaste for dogs and cats, poultry flavor, from our vets.

Cathryn
27th April 2007, 08:31 AM
I get a really good one from vet-medic (I'll check the email address in the morning!) It has enzymes so even if he just licks it it does some good. Oh well let me just look now so I don't forget...

http://www.vet-medic.com/Product_Info.aspx?pCode=CETT3

This site gives free postage for wormers and is VERY cheap. My vet said I get stuff cheaper than he can at wholesale.

Yes, my vet also says that, plus you can now get the Frontline pippettes from them now they have come off Prescription Only Medicine. If your dog is on regular prescription medicine you can also have your vet write you out a prescription and they can supply it direct to you at a much lower cost!

Cathryn

shippers
25th October 2007, 12:16 PM
I have bought some of this tooth paste for Sally and will buy a small child's toothbrush. I'm not sure how she will react to her teeth being brushed but I'll insist. Up to now we have just relied on good hard chews and dentastix but I have read that good dental hygiene reduces risk of MVD. I suppose I should have started earlier but I guess its never too late. She almost 9 months now

Karlin
25th October 2007, 05:24 PM
9 months is nice and early! :)

You can go thru a slow process of first putting some toothpaste on one of the inger toothbrusghes or your finger and rubbing it around and gradually progressing to the toothbrush, initially not doing too much. You only need to brush the outside of teeth. Jaspar HATED toothbrushing at first but now he tolerates it! Lily gets so excited (toothpaste is after all food when it is poultry flavoued!) she follows me around and tries to get her face in front of the boys when I am doing them. :rolleyes:

Brushing makes a big difference when dogs are not eating things that keep their teth scraped. Genes have a lot to do with it too. Jaspar and Leo are halfbrothers but Jaspar's teeth are great while Leo's always had some gum problems.

I reward them all with a chew after the brushing so they actually do look forward to the brushing as they know a Greenie is coming afterwards.

Here are a couple of sites that explain how to brush:

http://www.placervillevet.com/dog%20toothbrushing.htm

http://www.dentalvet.com/patients/homecare/brush_my_dogs_what.htm

AND ESPECIALLY THIS VIDEO!! :lol:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-brush-your-pets-teeth

shippers
25th October 2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks Karlin that video is great! What a patient little dog! I'll let you know how I get on. I'll start touching her mouth a little now and opening it while I'm waiting for the toothpaste to arrive. I'm a bit worried though that she might get a grip on the tooth brush and snap it! Then there would be the risk of choking :confused:. I suppose I'll just have to extra careful.

shippers
31st October 2007, 04:23 PM
The toothpaste arrived today. I bought the the Virbac CET enzymatic toothpaste and a small 0-24 month child's toothbrush. I thought it would be a nightmare but Sally seemed to enjoy it! :p Wasn't bad at all for our first attempt. Hopefully it'll do some good and prevent MVD and bad doggy breath!

katiecoos
31st October 2007, 06:23 PM
I used to buy poltry flavour toothpast from my vet, but found it much cheaper online.