• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How dangerous are fabric sheets?

Harley & Carley

I think my girls have been chewing on a bounce fabric sheet that has been used. I called the after hours vet cliniv and they said just to make sure it passes and to watch for depression.
Anyone else have this happen or know of anything else I should look out for?

This has happened to me as well. It did pass, but it did take 24 hours and everything was fine. Just make sure to check the #2's and it will most likely pass. If she starts acting lethargic, not eating, drinking or pooping I would take her in.

But don't panic if it doesn't come out immediately, mine did take a while and I called the vet every hour he finally told me to calm down and wait and sure enough there came the Bounce the next day. Good luck!

I'm not sure if a fabric softener sheet would qualify as something you need to bulk up before it passes, but when Tucker ate my eyeglasses, I was advised, at the Emergency Vet Hospital to give him plenty of fiber when I got home and for the next day. This to make sure his poops were larger and there was bulk to protect his intestinal tract from any sharp edges. I gave him oatmeal and the crust from toasted bran bread. Chances are the fabric softener sheets were shredded before they were ingested.

I have caught my crew chowing down on fabric sheets before, but I don't think they have ever actually eaten one. I think they just like the taste:rolleyes:. Either that or it smells like mom.

:yikes I bet that was an expensive little exercise :yikes

Yes it was, he also had an ultra-sound. When the Vet Tech took the information from me she asked if Tucker's activity level had changed was he listless or less active and he began prancing around the room on his back legs. He suffered no ill effects, but my VISA card did. He had an ultra-sound to make sure he had no visible blockages. He passed the glass and portion of a frame with no incident. I never even found the pieces. Also he chose Ralph Lauren prescription sunglasses to munch on which were a real splurge for me, and I've yet to replace. The little angel.

My dogs are obsessed with dryer sheets!! When I am folding clothes they just sit and watch for the dryer sheets and stare at them until I throw them away. And if one of them happens to get a hold of one it's like a huge prize and they fight over it --until I realize it and take it away-- but they've never ingested them.
I don't know what it is -- I would think they taste bad --but then I would have thought that about grass and sticks and bugs and (glasses) etc. etc.

And if one of them happens to get a hold of one it's like a huge prize and they fight over it --until I realize it and take it away-- but they've never ingested them.
I don't know what it is

:rotfl:Our Cavaliers are funny little munchkins. It would be quite amusing to know what goes on in their little minds.

Okay, the fabric sheets got my attention. But, Joanne, your description on the glasses, thank goodness it ended well, had me in stitches!

she asked if Tucker's activity level had changed was he listless or less active

No, but he seems much more interested in reading the newspaper than previously :D

best fiber for dogs is canned pumpkin (unsweetened) this also can help dogs that have mild anal gland problems
;)
Kelly

I've never had the experience with fabric softener sheets - even in ER days. If it would help their breath I think I'd encourage them to chew on them!

Joanne, sorry to laugh at your expense but it's hard to believe the dog ate your glasses! My poor girls - I would have had a hand down their throats trying to retrieve them!

Gracie flips over dryer sheets, too...if one gets left on the floor for her to see, it's all over! But, the thing that really gets her to follow my hand aroun like a hawk is Q-tips! She sits patiently, watches my hand go from the box to my ear, to the trash...and then runs over to the trash can to make sure it really went in and she can't get it...then back to the starting position for the other ear. Makes me laugh ever morning!:razz:

Also he chose Ralph Lauren prescription sunglasses to munch on which were a real splurge for me, and I've yet to replace. The little angel.

I laughed out loud when I read the 'little angel' line. :badgrin:

Sorry 'bout that. ;)

KC

Ladies feel free to laugh, I do until I go outside on a bright sunny day with my regular glasses, squinting from the sun!!!

I liked the "Little Angel" line too - that wasn't dripping with sarcasm was it?

I'm like a mole when I get out in the sun - can hardly open my eyes and you know I don't want squint wrinkles!! During the first part of last week it was cloudy and/or I was either in the hospital or in bed. When I finally had a chance to see sunshine I couldn't find my sunglasses. Had to buy a new pair. When we got in the car at the airport they were in a little bag in the floor. Bubba claims that I just wanted new ones!

joanne i'm still laughing about your glasses---from a lot of your posts i think that indy and tucker might be long-lost cousins or something. they would be the greatest of friends and god help us if they ever met hahaha!

one day my hubby looked all over the house and finally found his glasses with indy's blanket. they were still intact thank goodness, but twisted to the point that he was to ashamed to bring them in to be repaired. indy also managed to chew off the entire bits that slip over your ears.

mad little devils!

indy hasn't met dryer sheets yet.....counting down the days!

k

Kim,

I love Tucker and his personality, but he can be a bit of a handful. As I'm sure your husband does now, I no longer leave my glasses on the coffee table. Instead they go to a higher resting spot, because I suspect he might munch on this pair were he to gain access to them. Apparently he has acquired the taste for eye-glasses.

I'm glad this thread was started on fabric softener sheets, though I do not intentionally leave them lying about, it wasn't on my list of things to be extra watchful of. I often dust things in my bedroom with used fabric softener sheets. I'm pretty sure I saw it on Martha Stewart one day, and what Martha says, I do (so long as it doesn't involve crafts or cooking).

Tucker would have a field day at my house, Joanne. We have reading glasses everywhere. At least 4 pair here on the desk, a pair in each bathroom, by the bed, in the kitchen, in the living room.

Be careful - Martha might tell you to do something naughty some day!!

LOL @ Donna. Today on Martha her guest was David Hyde Pierce (aka Nyles Crain) and she taught him how to make a compost heap in his apartment using a plastic container, first moisten shredded newspaper, then add red worms, and poor David looked as squeamish as I felt!

Back