• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The recall is only going to get bigger....

Now i am starting to get worried.karlin reckons food ok here and hubby has been on the royal canine web site,nothing in ireland or the uk. yet.

This really has me ticked off - no offense to those feeding Wellness, I have a personal issue with them. I recognize their food is fantastic make up and normally they are one of the best companies to communicate with owners. However, they have NOT to date been willing to give me a written answer to a specific question - I know your probably all sick of me saying this - but, to me who has fed Kodee Wellness Yogurt, Apple and Banana cookies it is VERY IMPORTANT I KNOW THE ANSWER. They stated they use rice protein concentrate. I wrote and specifically asked where it was imported from. Response not the plants affected. Not good enough - 2nd email I got more specific and stated as a pet owner i have a right to know if their rice protein is imported from ANY china supplier. They took 3 days to reply with call. I wrote back and said no, I would like a written response - is that ingredient imported from China. NO response! Sorry, but this article has me fearing the worst now - Kodee has been very sleepy and off food for quite a few days and has had 2 throw ups. She was exposed briefly to Kennel Cough (the vet assistant didnt note the sign saying no dogs allowed till room disinfected and Kodee was walked in and right back out so the Vet is watching to see if she has a really low form of it as no cough. Her blood work was done a 3 wks ago but I started giving her this cookies after that. NOW I am really ticked off at Wellness - a simple yes or no WOULD MEAN THE WORLD TO ME TO NARROW THIS DOWN. She is better today in energy but still ignoring breakfast. Hmm I am off to call vet and blast Wellness a nasty letter.

Hi Debbie....I know the feeling. When I saw Monica's post this morning, I started to worry again. I switched Lily to Wellness Chicken on Saturday, even though the RC27 she was on was not on the recall list last week. When I went on the Wellness website, I was disturbed to learn that the Old Mother Hubbard puppy treats I have been feeding her since we got her include the rice protein concentrate. The last time I bought her treats I decided to buy her the peanut butter flavor, which does not include the RPC. That was only about a month ago. So she has been eating the ones with RPC for 7 months! I felt a little better when I read that they did not purchase this from Wilbur-Ellis. Now, another supplier may be involved and we don't know who bought from that supplier. What the he!! are we supposed to do???!!!

Hi Debbie....I know the feeling. When I saw Monica's post this morning, I started to worry again. I switched Lily to Wellness Chicken on Saturday, even though the RC27 she was on was not on the recall list last week. When I went on the Wellness website, I was disturbed to learn that the Old Mother Hubbard puppy treats I have been feeding her since we got her include the rice protein concentrate. The last time I bought her treats I decided to buy her the peanut butter flavor, which does not include the RPC. That was only about a month ago. So she has been eating the ones with RPC for 7 months! I felt a little better when I read that they did not purchase this from Wilbur-Ellis. Now, another supplier may be involved and we don't know who bought from that supplier. What the he!! are we supposed to do???!!!
*&%$ Kodee ate the mother hubbard puppy cookies - I never checked those as she hasnt eaten them in a while. but she did for 2 mths straight. how DARE wellness not tell me if their rice protein concentrate is imported from any china supplier when asked. that is irresponsible! The kibble wont be affected for those using it - but still (just my personal feelings folks) if you cant trust them to be upfront then forget them. I applaud Nature Balance they admitted it and then stated they were not going to use any china supplier. all wellness needs to do is say yes we import, no its not the affected suppliers but in light we are switching to no china suppliers and I'd be rooting how responsible and great they are. but it they do it now, its too late - they still didnt respond at time asked.

I think it is dispicable that the companies are not being forthright with their customers. ESPECIALLY the ones who are not being honest about using the affected suppliers. I switched all of mine off Wellness and onto NV raw instincts kibble, but now they all have diarrhea and Zoey is vomitting. I am sure it is the food change, but I am still concerned. I am just so fed up with this entire thing and I don't understand how it is LEGAL for the companies to hide their identity like that. :mad:

I took Wrigley off RC27 on Friday and didn't know which food to buy instead. Yesterday, I picked up a bag of Wellness, but for some or other reason, put it back and chose Innova small bites instead. I think I liked the look of the ingredients more than the Wellness. I'm kind of glad I chose the Innova now, although who knows what will come up in the recall list next.

Just to clarify...in the sake of fairness...Wellness dog foods are not currently on any recall list and do not contain rice protein concentrate, wheat gluten or corn gluten. Kodee's issue is with the line of WellBars treats that Wellness acknowledges do contain rice protein concentrate from plants not involved with the current recall. I agree with Kodee that the way they've handled her issue, especially since Kodee has eaten these treats and is not feeling well, is an example of poor customer service. However, it is an issue with treats not food.

I know that I'm harping on the Wellness a lot...I'm not stuck on it and plan to switch brands once this bag is done just for some variety, but I do feel that it's important to be accurate. So, all I'm saying is that no Wellness brand treat or food is currently part of any recall...does that mean that they won't be in the future, not necessarily...just clarifying the point.

Well, this all just sucks. With all my family has been through in the last two months, the last thing we need to worry about is poisoning our two dogs.

A lot of the products that have been recommended here are not available in Canada, or at least not in my neck of the woods.

Making our dogs food from scratch is not an option for a number of reasons. I have investigated "human grade" natural pet foods, but I tried a couple of those on my Brit a couple years back but for whatever reason, he didn't do so well on them. Perhaps they were simply too rich.

There is a Canadian brand of high-premium dry dog food called Go! Natural that is grain free and I'm thinking of trying that. It gets very high ratings and my vet thinks it is the best on the market - better than the Medi-Cal (made by Royal Canin) that my pooches are on currently. Anyone have any experience with it?

This is the website with info on it:
http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=44

Last edited:
Kodee has been on the puppy cookies since day 1 and 4lbs (2 a day) but I only see brown rice protein? I though it was specifically rice protein concentrate - am I splitting issues over wording? Are they the same thing?

My experience with Blue Buffalo

Letter I sent:

After reading the disheartening news of your kitten food recall because it contains rice protien concentrate that is affected by the melamine contamination we are concerned about the Lamb and Brown Rice dry adult dog food that you sell. Has this product been tested and can you please let us know the results of this test? We feed both of our dogs this variety of Blue Buffalo. Thank you for your immediate responce to previous recalls and for any information you can provide.

The personal, non form letter, response I got within 1 business day:

Dear Ashley,

None of our cat or dog formulas have been recalled except for one batch of dry kitten food code date March 07, 08 B. We have taken this action because the rice protein concentrate used for this one production run was obtained from the same company who supplied this ingredient to Natural Balance. Test results indicated that this rice protein concentrate tested positive or melamine. This is the first and only time our manufacturing partner sourced rice protein from this company and we had no knowledge that they had imported that ingredient form China . We do not allow our ingredients to come from outside the country. We have our suppliers provide us with a certificate of origin and unfortunately we were given false information. We have been betrayed and we are deeply sorry for any concern this has brought you. We have tested all other formulas with rice protein concentrate and all have come back negative and are safe to feed your dog or cat.

All of our products are made in the USA . Our ingredients have always come from US suppliers. We do numerous testing on our foods however at the time this batch was accepted, the first initial recall wasn’t even announced yet. Not only were we or anyone unaware of contaminated ingredients, but melamine was never though to be the problem. That is a separate test that can only be determined if it is looked for. Now that melamine has become a problem in foods, it will be added to the routine testing.

As a family owned company whose reason for being is to provide pet parents with the highest quality dog and cat food, we are extremely upset by this recall and can’t begin to apologize enough to our customers.

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Best regards,

Samantha Wuhrer

The Blue Buffalo Company

I have continually been impressed with how my dogs are on this food and with their personal attention in this case.

Last edited:
Well, this all just sucks. With all my family has been through in the last two months, the last thing we need to worry about is poisoning our two dogs.

A lot of the product that have been recommended here are not available in Canada, or at least not in my neck of the woods.

Making our dogs food from scratch is not for a number of reasons. I have investigated "human grade" natural pet foods, but I tried a couple of those on my Brit a couple years back but for whatever reason, he didn't do so well on them. Perhaps they were simply too rich.

There is a Canadian brand of high-premium dry dog food called Go! Natural that is grain free and I'm thinking of trying that. It gets very high ratings and my vet thinks it is the best on the market - better than the Medi-Cal (made by Royal Canin) that my pooches are on currently. Anyone have any experience with it?

This is the website with info on it:
http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=44
I actually have looked at it and agree it looks good, has good reviews. I am sticking with Canidae which has guaranteed me only home grown ingredients till this is over. But i would consider the Go Natural for Kodee later down the road when this scare is over as a 2nd kibble to use.

Letter I sent:
I would trust a company that first does as much as they can to ensure their products are safe. In their case they did alot and to boot took responsibility. At least with this company I can trust them to be honest and help me when asked unlike others...

Here's what Wellness says about it: The only items they make that contain RPC are the ones I have hi-lited below. They did not use the Chinese supplier in question, but do purchase from Asia. Where in Asia, China? My fear is that if it is only purchased in Asia, is that supplier the one they think will also be included next. I know none of these products have been recalled yet, but they do contain the RPC. Everyday something new is added. What are we to do? Do we continue feeding, in hopes of our food not showing up next, or be proactive. Who knows what to feed at this point. I just don't know what we are supposed to do other than feeding home cooked.

Rice protein concentrate: We source internationally, due to the limited US supply. Many different names are used for rice protein concentrate, such as rice protein, brown rice protein, rice protein concentrate, brown rice protein concentrate. It is an expensive, premium ingredient that is a source of highly digestible protein with strong hypo-allergenic properties. It is often used in products that are formulated especially for pets or people with allergies, such as our Simple Food Solutions, WellBars (Fish and Sweet Potato and Yogurt, Apple and Bananas), and Old Mother Hubbard Puppy Treats. These are our only products that contain rice protein concentrate.

Other companies have reported that they have received contaminated rice protein concentrate from a supplier in China. We do not purchase any of our ingredients from the supplier in China involved in the recalls. We source from three plants in Asia, all of which our employees have personally visited in order to qualify them as Wellness vendors. However, as a result of the recent issues, we will push US rice suppliers to build rice protein capacity so that companies like ours have a better option to source this ingredient locally.

Last edited:
Here's what Wellness says about it: B]
So in essense it took them 1.5 wks to answer my question in a round about way posting it on a website and still ignoring the my personal email... Its as good as saying "dont worry its only the puppies we are gonna take a risk with..."

Too late too little. I cant trust a company like that.

*sigh*

I Have old mother hubbard as well at home.

Shay,

I don't mean to promote natura pet, but I have Kosmo and Faith on something called Innova:Evo. Lots of us use that on this board and I feel safe with it because it's grain free and doens't have a lot of ingredients in it. I also use NV RAW which is just really meat and stuff like that. As much as I would love to, I just cannot trust myself to cook for my dogs. I am not knowledgeable enough about canine nutrition to trust myself cooking for them 100%. And who knows where these supplements have been derived from. :( Anyways, good luck! If you're looking for something with grain, I know Merricks only does their own food and it's only by their own plant. I would feel relatively comfortable with them as well. :)

I agree...it is not an easy decision at all! I went out last weekend and bought treats that rice protein concentrate, corn and wheat gluten free. None of them had been recalled and the companies all said they were "ok." I know that her food does not contain those ingredients either. Of course, at any time, there could be a fourth ingredient and it could turn out to be in her food or the treats. At this point, she's doing very well on her food and the vet suggested that we go through another bag before switching brands. I've talked to Wellness and gotten answers that I'm currently satisfied with...if the situation changes I'll have to reconsider, though. I've spent plenty of time thinking (borderline obsessing?) about whether we're making the right choices for her...I know that many here can relate!

Kodee...I know that your upset, and rightfully so...but, the OMH puppy cookies have been on that list (on their website) since at least last Friday. And, it doesn't seem fair to say that their taking chances with the puppies! No company that hasn't knowingly received tainted rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis has recalled food. I don't know of one company that has recalled their food/treats just because they include rice protein concentrate. The only companies that have recalled (outside fo the Menu Foods original recall) are those that bought from Wilbur-Ellis and were informed by them that they received contaminated ingredient. There are plenty of companies with food/treats still on the shelf that contain all three of those ingredients...

Last edited:
I agree...it is not an easy decision at all! I went out last weekend and bought treats that rice protein concentrate, corn and wheat gluten free. None of them had been recalled and the companies all said they were "ok." I know that her food does not contain those ingredients either. Of course, at any time, there could be a fourth ingredient and it could turn out to be in her food or the treats. At this point, she's doing very well on her food and the vet suggested that we go through another bag before switching brands. I've talked to Wellness and gotten answers that I'm currently satisfied with...if the situation changes I'll have to reconsider, though. I've spent plenty of time thinking (borderline obsessing?) about whether we're making the right choices for her...I know that many here can relate!
Oh face it we are all obsessing! What needs to happen is I need to win the lottery and take everybody to Finland as promised in the Who would you like to meet thread ;)

Isn't that the truth...I will no longer deny that I am 100% obsessing! In my attempt to stop obsessing, I will try to stop counter replying all of your posts in this thread! ;) I guess, I'm just trying to say that there is more than one way of looking at things...would hate for things to become too one-sided.

Back