PDA

View Full Version : Weird quirks about your dog?

Battie4
27th April 2007, 12:46 AM
Alright well now that Waffles has been home for a day I realize she has some very weird quirks. Well actually I don't know if they are quirks or not but Waffles is a very animated sleeper. She snores moves around a lot when she sleeps and grunts and so on. So I wa sjust wondering first off is that normal? And also what kind of weird habits or quirks do your dogs have?

Jon Chang

Cathy T
27th April 2007, 01:07 AM
Caught Shelby doing that this morning!! We all had a rough night last night...hubby was up really early this morning...so everyone's sleep was disturbed. Shelby was catching up on her snoozes on the couch, I was working in the office, heard some really funny noises and ran out to the family room...not sure what I was going to see. It was Shelby snorting and kicking...sound asleep on the couch :D

Battie4
27th April 2007, 01:45 AM
I dunno if this is a quirk or not but I thought it was funny. I had bought all these toys and chews for Waffles but her favorite toy happens to be an empty water bottle........go figure

Karlin
27th April 2007, 01:55 AM
Yep the empty water bottle, toilet paper roll cores, and cardboard boxes tend to be more interesting to puppies hen toys you pay for. :lol:

Cavaliers are generally snorers by the way!

Crittercall
27th April 2007, 02:13 AM
Both of my Cavaliers snore - loudly. They always have and I've just taken it as part of their charm. However, you would be hard pressed to get my girls to play with a toy or anything else. They seem to think that is way below their dignity!

Cathy Moon
27th April 2007, 04:00 AM
My cavvies all have their own original little quirks! Makes each one an individual!!! ;)

Kodee
27th April 2007, 04:27 AM
um kodee may take a prize on her quirk. feet and legs. she has always gone for the toes - ok so do a lot of puppies. but this has stayed with her I think, as the other day my daughter appeared in a mini-skirt since the first really warm day arrived here. Kodee ran to the stairs wiggling a mile a minute. she kept giving little tiny bark sounds, back up, wiggle forward. You'd think she hit the jackpot when she saw those legs! Needless to say my daughter gave up after a good bathing of them compliments Kodee and put jeans back on :rolleyes:

Sue.k
27th April 2007, 09:52 AM
Prince snores alot, when he is in the kitchen sleeping I can hear him when I am in the sitting room (with the TV on) He also does this thing, he will be sitting down and staring at his back foot, as soon as he moves his foot he will start to play attack it, it is so funny watching him, its as if his foot isnt part of him and he thinks it attacking him, its hilarious to watch:)

Nisha
27th April 2007, 12:01 PM
I dunno if this is a quirk or not but I thought it was funny. I had bought all these toys and chews for Waffles but her favorite toy happens to be an empty water bottle........go figure
haha :) both my two LOVE empty water bottles! it entertains them for ages!!..they also have this thing for ice-cubes on the ground...making them slip and slide around everywhere and trying to get it in their mouths without it slipping out and finally sitting down away from everyone and chomping it down.

They both snore a bit...not too loud though (thankfully;))..and Milo has a thing for ears...after licking you a bit he goes straight for the ears snuffling at them, licking them...and everything imagineable...always new he was the weird one ;)

Lani
27th April 2007, 02:25 PM
LUcky snores ... but I never`noticed it at night, just in the middle of the day. Since it does not wake me up, it's cute.

I started having Lucky sleep in his crate because now at 10 months he's decided to start jumping off my bed in the middle of the night. He used to sleep all the way through at my feet. Now he's a bed hog too ...

So last night at about midnight, I hear this barking from the crate ... I opened it up to let him out (in case he had to go to the bathroom or something I would have taken him out.). he did not move. I guess he was barking in his sleep!! He's a little character alright.

Another "quirk" is when he decide he does not want to walk in the direction I do, he'll brace his feet on the ground and just STOP. And then look up at me as if to say "No, that's not the way I want to go ...." We always end up walking my way eventually, but I'm clear that he's *trying* to train me there ....

Cathryn
27th April 2007, 02:54 PM
Hello,

Well I think they should create a section in the Olympic games for Cavalier snoring! Most of mine snore, Logan has even been known to bark in his sleep at times, usually accompanied by a lot of serious leg twitching, I've often wondered if he's dreaming of chasing something?

When I had my litter back in January (only 1 pup but looking good) the Mum, Princess, snored so loudly that my husband moved into the spare bedroom! :rotfl:

Crittercall
27th April 2007, 04:17 PM
I was talking to my Mom on the phone earlier - dogs all piled in the bed asleep. She finally asked if that was a dog snoring. When I told her it was she suggested that I put a breathe right strip on them. Can you imagine the confusion that would cause them?

Jen
27th April 2007, 04:37 PM
Abbey snores so loud she wakes herself up and looks around all confused!
Gus doesn't snore, but when he's tired he starts sticking his foot in his ear, kinda scratching, kinda missing, but always moaning when he does it. Then his head gets lower and lower and the foot stops...
Every night he does this. :)

moniechris
27th April 2007, 04:39 PM
I love these stories!! Of course all of my babies snore like crazy, but each has their own little weird things that they do.

Zoey is obsessed with cats. Her breeder also bred Himalayian kittens so she has been around them since birth. She drives my adult cats CRAZY because she gets frantic every time she sees them and gives them kisses all over. My foster kittens are quite used to being smothered by Zoey each morning.:winkct:

Wesley hates it when my fiancee and I wear hats. It's like he doesn't recognize us or he wants to kill the thing that is on our heads! He barks like mad whenever we have a hat on, and immediatly stops when we take it off.

Cody thinks it is his job to groom all four of my dogs. He cleans their tears, licks their mouths after they eat and "bites fleas" off of them. He is such a sweetie!! I have great pictures of him kissing everyone. :luv:

Cathryn
27th April 2007, 05:14 PM
Another one of my girls, Genie, has a real good bark whenever I turn the page over at the start of a new month on my calender, of course I always have a Cavalier one, and it's not until about the 3rd or the 4th of each month that she quits barking at the new "stranger" on the wall!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rotfl:

Jen
27th April 2007, 05:53 PM
Another one of my girls, Genie, has a real good bark whenever I turn the page over at the start of a new month on my calender, of course I always have a Cavalier one, and it's not until about the 3rd or the 4th of each month that she quits barking at the new "stranger" on the wall!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rotfl:

That's hilarious!! I'm always amazed at how Abbey barks at any animal she sees on TV. She's "taught" Gus to watch TV as well. He only barks at dogs, while Abbey barks at any animal...the Kemps cows really get her going. :rolleyes:

natalieandmike
27th April 2007, 05:58 PM
Cathryn,
That wall calendar is a hilarious story. I love it! Bianca has NEVER barked except in her sleep. She says a soft "woof woof woof', and rolls over. Mike and I always wonder what she's dreaming about. Never has she barked during the day! These are great stories. -Natalie:)

Holly
27th April 2007, 06:12 PM
Oliver barks at hats, too!!

He is completely obsessed with my make-up and brushes. I usually sit and watch tv while I am putting my make-up on in the morning. As soon as Oliver notices, he is in my lap trying to stick his head into my make-up bag and snuffle all around it!

Justine
27th April 2007, 09:10 PM
ella has a booster car seat in the car and when i put them both in the car alfs will run across the back seat and take his position onto her car seat ella and him end up fighting over the car seat,he will not budge i have to push him off,when i drop her at school,he imd. jumps on top of it,then i srap him into it,he loves it because he is higher up and can see everything.sometimes he will fall asleep in it sitting up,it is funny.ella gets cross because she ends up sitting on him till he moves off.

Jessieca
28th April 2007, 03:51 AM
Cathryn,
That wall calendar is a hilarious story. I love it! Bianca has NEVER barked except in her sleep. She says a soft "woof woof woof', and rolls over. Mike and I always wonder what she's dreaming about. Never has she barked during the day! These are great stories. -Natalie:)

Wow, you need to teach my dog not to bark haha. He's more of a whiner than anything actually, it can get to be embarassing - he will do it in public if people don't pay him attention. He seems to believe he is the most important and cutest thing in the World, and EVERYONE must acknowledge this. Sometimes he will bark at the windows as well.

His weirdest thing is that he barks at our floor AC in our bedroom. He will walk right up to it, and just bark and bark. We have yet to figure out the cause of this, but think that maybe he is seeing his shadow in it...It would almost make sense if it were on, and making noise, but it's still cold here and it's not turned on when he does it lol.

Bailey also snores, and very loudly, and sometimes shakes. Also, before he will lay down, he has to repeatedly circle the area, as if to get in the most comfortable position possible. He sometimes starts to bark or make noise in his sleep, and then suddenly stands or sits up, which I am assuming must be related to some doggy dream he's having, and then he will go right back to sleep.

Jessieca
28th April 2007, 03:51 AM
ella has a booster car seat in the car and when i put them both in the car alfs will run across the back seat and take his position onto her car seat ella and him end up fighting over the car seat,he will not budge i have to push him off,when i drop her at school,he imd. jumps on top of it,then i srap him into it,he loves it because he is higher up and can see everything.sometimes he will fall asleep in it sitting up,it is funny.ella gets cross because she ends up sitting on him till he moves off.

Hahaha, you need to take a picture of this and post it, it sounds priceless :D

Gracie's Mommy
28th April 2007, 04:10 AM
and Milo has a thing for ears...after licking you a bit he goes straight for the ears snuffling at them, licking them...and everything imagineable...always new he was the weird one

I can so relate! But Gracie has Milo beat...she not only has a thing for ears, but ear WAX! :rolleyes: We've decided that she must love ear wax because she loves licking our ears....obsesses q-tips in the morning...and will have stalk my ear plugs at night, even when they're not in my ear! Even if they're sitting on the nightstand, she'll just stare at them. And, if she happens to get ahold of them, you'd think she was in heaven!!

The other quirky thing she does is "organize" her toys. She'll get all of our toys that we have out and available to her at the time and arrange them all in a circle around her. She'll go back and get them one by one and arrange them. She's not at all territorial about them, you an go pick them up and she won't flinch, but it's her little ritual at the beginning of play time.

The quirks are what make them so uniquely lovable!! :dogwlk: :luv:

nursejess80
28th April 2007, 04:10 AM
Ruby makes kind of a weird little noise when she's sleeping, not really a snore. She LOVES the empty water bottle. It absolutely drives her crazy,and she just flies across the room with it. She also likes to stand in front of this glass door in our hutch and just bark at her reflection. Oh, and ice cubes. She'll chase them all over the floor. I once made the mistake of putting it in her water bowl, and she kept smacking her paw in it until she got it out, all the while making a HUGE mess in the kitchen. Haven't done that since. She also has this thing about being at the top of anything, be it your head, the couch, the biggest pillows on our bed, etc. I think she feels like she is bigger that way.

Lani
28th April 2007, 04:52 AM
Here's my cooky quirky boy & his best friend, taken a few months ago:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l318/lanibass/friend.jpg

They must have had a falling out, because they don't visit as often as they used to ...

natalieandmike
28th April 2007, 04:57 AM
I love that mirror picture ! You know, I wondered about that too, since Bianca seems very interested in other dogs on 'animal planet', we tried her out in front of the mirror. She, strangely enough, doesn't seem that interested! Still am learning my dog's quirks daily. Gracie's mommy, I love that your Gracie has a bit of OCD! Dog after my own heart! :lol:

Battie4
28th April 2007, 05:33 AM
that picture of Lucky looking in the mirror is great!!

Gracie's Mommy
28th April 2007, 05:50 AM
Gracie's mommy, I love that your Gracie has a bit of OCD! Dog after my own heart! :lol:
Hmmm...you bring up a good point! Maybe she somehow picked up this strange obsession from me! :razz:

Lani...LOVE that pic of Lucky! Too funny!

Kodee
28th April 2007, 06:05 AM
Hmmm...you bring up a good point! Maybe she somehow picked up this strange obsession from me! :razz:

Lani...LOVE that pic of Lucky! Too funny!OK this is the second time you two have joked about OCD... *blush* ummm what is it?

Cathy Moon
28th April 2007, 06:59 AM
OK this is the second time you two have joked about OCD... *blush* ummm what is it?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder -
I once read that everyone has it to some degree!

Kodee
28th April 2007, 07:08 AM
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder -
I once read that everyone has it to some degree! :sl*p: :thnku:

Justine
28th April 2007, 11:26 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/basil180/carchair3-1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/basil180/carchair-1.jpg

Jessieca
28th April 2007, 06:00 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/basil180/carchair3-1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/basil180/carchair-1.jpg

Hahaha thank you, that is hilarious!!

ParkersSis
28th April 2007, 08:22 PM
Parker is an odd little fellow. He loves sniffing my bedroom. He never lays down or plays with anything, he just sniffs.

A few weeks ago we had the laundry out to be sorted for washing, and he decided he wanted to lay on the pile of unmentionables!!

He loves playing with plastic Easter eggs. Once they break open, he stops playing until someone closes it again though.

freesia
28th April 2007, 10:26 PM
Barney loves empty water bottles and ice too. He snores a lot too and moves around in his dreams. The weirdest thing though is that he will go in his cage and take out some of his bedding and drag it to the bottom of the room and go to sleep.

Kodee
28th April 2007, 10:29 PM
He loves playing with plastic Easter eggs. Once they break open, he stops playing until someone closes it again though.OH OH you just gave me Kodee's next toy!! She loved chasing the water bottle on snow that Ruby and Sydney suggested and this is much the same principle. Now the question is... did I keep any of those eggs once my kids hit college?