PDA

View Full Version : Litter Box Trainning

Pumkin
28th April 2007, 08:47 PM
Does litter box training really work on a puppy? I'm considering that as well as using puppy pads. Any advice and experience on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys in advance..

Timski
28th April 2007, 11:51 PM
http://www.kturby.com/litter/litter.htm

Yep its possible, but you have to put in alot more time and effort than what you would to train them to go outside. We have started teaching Audrey to use a specific spot in the bathroom where we have placed newspaper.

As for using an actual litter tray, we have not gotten that far as yet... she just likes digging in the rocks and making a huge mess. The puppy training mats are good but I didn't find them to be the greatest thing in the world, there is nothing magical about them that will attract the dog, its just an association thing, if you can learn to associate them with the dog doing its thing then they can be great.

BrodieSkyward
29th April 2007, 12:24 AM
I bought the doggie litter box and litter (resembles wood pellets) when Brodie was a puppy. It didn't work for me. The pellets ended up strewn all over the room...I'd clean them up and back out they'd go :rolleyes: I tried pee pads too. In retrospect, I think it did make housetraining a challenge. Taught the little pup it was OK to go inside - he'd go near the puppy pad / but never on it. Maybe you'll have better luck though :thmbsup:

Karlin
29th April 2007, 12:32 AM
Unless there's a really compelling reason to litter train a dog (eg living in an apartment building many floors up in an urban area) I'd really recommend not doing it. For one, what is OK for puppies is a stinky large mess once they reach adult size (and males cannot wee on litter once they start raising a leg, so that's a consideration for males). Cats bury their poops, making the smell less an issue, but a dog's bowel movements will just sit there and smell up the whole house. Plus a single pee is a lot of urine in an adult, not little puppy size wees any more. If the dog isn't trained to go outside as a puppy and you decide using a litter box is really not what you want anymore, it is a longer process generally to housetrain an adult that now has an ingrained habit to go inside a house.

The other issue is, a dog trained to go in the house may make a very unwelcome visitor to other people's houses. If it cannot find its pads or litter in another house it may well just go on the carpet or floor.

Even short term training to puppy pads etc is a major inconvenience and for the owner, means housetraining twice as you train first to papers then all over again to go outside. I'm not sure how the process of training to papers inside then going outside ever started but it's a lot easier to remove the intermediate step and just train direct to outside from day one!

As always I highly recommend getting Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining. She gives full schedules and does give instructions on litter training if this must be done.

niamhx
29th April 2007, 02:40 PM
Hi Finn my cavalier is 10 weeks I bring him out every hour on the hour I don't use anything in the house we've only had a handful of accidents in the two weeks we've had him he's so good. :D

We bring him out last thing at night which is normally about 11 then again at five and then were up for the day at 8. He's only had one accident at night :D

Julie S
29th April 2007, 05:47 PM
I agree with what Karlin said - unless there is a HUGE reason to not go outside, then don't do it. Too many people have said it's VERY hard to train them to go outside after that.

That being said ... my breeder trains puppies on that wood chip-looking litter (forgetting the name right now) and she has great success with it.

Pumkin
29th April 2007, 08:09 PM
Unless there's a really compelling reason to litter train a dog (eg living in an apartment building many floors up in an urban area) I'd really recommend not doing it. For one, what is OK for puppies is a stinky large mess once they reach adult size (and males cannot wee on litter once they start raising a leg, so that's a consideration for males). Cats bury their poops, making the smell less an issue, but a dog's bowel movements will just sit there and smell up the whole house. Plus a single pee is a lot of urine in an adult, not little puppy size wees any more. If the dog isn't trained to go outside as a puppy and you decide using a litter box is really not what you want anymore, it is a longer process generally to housetrain an adult that now has an ingrained habit to go inside a house.

The other issue is, a dog trained to go in the house may make a very unwelcome visitor to other people's houses. If it cannot find its pads or litter in another house it may well just go on the carpet or floor.

Even short term training to puppy pads etc is a major inconvenience and for the owner, means housetraining twice as you train first to papers then all over again to go outside. I'm not sure how the process of training to papers inside then going outside ever started but it's a lot easier to remove the intermediate step and just train direct to outside from day one!

As always I highly recommend getting Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining. She gives full schedules and does give instructions on litter training if this must be done.

Karlin,
Thanks for all your advice. I am going to look for that book on Amazon now!! I wasn't sure if litter box training was a good idea or not, but I would much rather train her to go outside rather then inside on litter. I have bought A LOT of puppy pads, lol over 200, so I will use those while she's in the crate but other then that I will be taking her out every hour. I just hope it don't take like forever to train her ot go outside. I will hate cleaning yp the mess.. lol That's why I've already stacked up on some Simple Solutions, stain & Oder remover.. lol :razz:

Jessieca
1st May 2007, 03:36 AM
Our apartments decided to tell us after we got a dog that they felt dog's urine is turning the grass at our new apartments yellow, so they must be walked to a park half a mile away. I will say that was NOT a possibility, as it was hard enough getting down four flights of stairs when Bailey was a puppy, never mind walking that far - it NEVER would have happened, there's no way he could have held it that long.

We tried the litter pan, but he kept eating the litter, so now we just put a pee pad in it, and change it a few times a day, and if he poos I flush it down the toilet immediately. He's 100% trained to go on them, and when I visit friend's for the day, I just put it in a corner and he's always gone it. He hasn't had an accident in I think 5 months, and he's 10 months old. That being said, we don't really have any other option, and the managers of the apartment did not make this decision until about 2 weeks after we had him (and I had been training him to go outside). I would do what you feel will ultimately work best for you. If you have the ability to take your dog to go potty outside, I would definitely go that route.