• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rolling In Foxes Poo

crimperess

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeese can someone tell me how to stop Fern looking for and rolling in foxes poo?
It is spoiling our walks as she has to be on a short lead and has no freedom.
She doesn't respond to her squeaky ball now, as she has found this new pleasure, when we are out. I'm at my wits end. I'm sure that it's not doing her skin good keep being shampooed.

When we are out she is sniffing the ground constantly, and will zig zag up the path nealy tripping me over.

Hoping someone can help.

Thanks, a very desperate cavi owner!!!!

(Sorry, I posted this in health and diet first.)

How old is she?
Has she been to training classes? She needs to learn 'leave' and recall so you can avert her

She's too pretty to be rolling in poo!

Yep, this is a training issue -- she needs a really reliable recall, and also to understand 'leave it', but at the same time that requires you to be constantly vigilant to call her away. The fact of the matter is, as I know only too well, some dogs really love rolling in stinky stuff. That is a natural behaviour for them and you won't be able to simply train her not to roll in it, you'll have to keep your eyes peeled for the moment she looks like she is about to start rolling in it. Or train her to walk by your side during walks.

I have two that love poop, vomit, dead animals -- anything really disgusting will do! I have had two days in a row of Jaspar finding really fresh deer poop and smearing it all over his head and chest. :( Twice he's rolled in people's vomit (definiely the worst of all the options). :grnyuk: Regularly he finds horse poop and the fresher, the better its coaring possibilities, as far as he's concerned. :( Lily at least isn't quite as enthusiastic and usually I spot her before she starts rolling. On the other hand, she happily eats deer and cat poops. :shock:

Fern's age

Thanks for your reply.

Fern is fourteen months old. She used to come back for her squeaky ball and a treat without fail.

As for coming back when called, even on an extended lead this happens. She is fixated on the stuff, and even on a short lead, her nose is hoovering the scent.

My friend who has had a number of dogs says she has never met one like Fern.

Fern is also very hyper and would play well into the night if allowed.

She has not been to classes.

Sounds like you need to train with a high reward for recall, try getting a whistle and blow it before you make her dinner, then again when you put it down for her. She should associate the whistle with a great reward like dinner:). Keep practicing and always give a good treat when using the whistle on walks to call her. She needs to pay more attention to you on walks, talk to her and give her treats. I think classes would be a great idea, they are fun for you and her:D

Whistle

Sounds like a good idea using the whistle, and associating it with food and treats.

Classes are out at the moment,as I look after my elderly Mum.

Cheers

We took Mary Alice to the Toronto Islands today and she was happily rolling in goose poop.

Hard to avoid as it's everywhere, first she was gobbling it and then she threw herself down and wriggled in ecstacy! :eek:

By the time we took the ferry back to the city, she was red, white and green!!

My daughter now has our "tri" in the bath.....but she had a great time!! :)

Classes are out at the moment,as I look after my elderly Mum.

Cheers

Maybe a good training book then, It can be hard to find time for classes with the other pressures of life. I hope you find a solution I guess a poo-ey pup is all you need:flwr:

jadn is much the same. he mainly does it on his home patch though (where he is walked the most) but if we take him down the river etc he is too busy running up and down to notice, other wise he tends to spend the whole walk sniffing! we now try and distract as much as we can on these "boring" walks. we have to constantly be on guard and never let him wander too far off even if it means running to catch up dogwalk2. he got into some poo yesterday so i had to put him on lead and wlk round again and by the time i got bck to the spot hoping to try out some "leave" another dog had come and gobbled it up.eeew i did feel better about that heeheehee!! i cant stand it either. yuk yuk yuk. even on a full tum he will still seek it out. gross!!

Oh, yes...anything dead is a real treat, too!! Dead frogs, mice, earthworms, anything...sooooo gross!! And, apparently he considers duck poop a real "doggy delicacy"!!

I have two that love poop, vomit, dead animals -- anything really disgusting will do! I have had two days in a row of Jaspar finding really fresh deer poop and smearing it all over his head and chest. :( Twice he's rolled in people's vomit (definiely the worst of all the options).

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh, but that gave me the very best belly laugh.

And, I thought I had it bad because my boys love to feast on bunny & kangaroo poo. Occasionally they bring a big lump inside to play with on the lounge or the nice cream coloured carpet.

Err... sorry no advice from me, just lots of laughter.

Back