PDA

View Full Version : Eyes

AT
1st May 2007, 12:36 PM
My oldie rescue cav has a sore eye ( not too bad , just a bit redder than normal) when I looked in her eyes I noticed she has a circle in front of the pupil of each eye, like a water mark on glass.
any idea's what it could be ?

Karlin
1st May 2007, 01:09 PM
Probabaly cataracts. If her eyes are sore, be sure to have them checked by a vet -- this can be an ulcer or scratch or eye infection.

Cataracts in dogs: http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/cataract.htm

Caraline
1st May 2007, 01:14 PM
I'd definitely be getting the vet to look at that. Could be a corneal ulcer, but without the right equipment (as the vet has) you can't tell yourself.

AT
1st May 2007, 01:30 PM
Its in both eyes ( same shape & size, a ring with a clear center ) but only one is sore. It doesn't look like an ulcer .

perhaps it is cataracts, i've not had much experience with them

Davy
1st May 2007, 07:03 PM
cataracts normally look like clouds forming in the eyes to begin with.

Caraline
2nd May 2007, 01:25 AM
Let us know what the vet says.

Cathryn
2nd May 2007, 08:58 AM
Hello, sounds like early cataracts to me too, Cavaliers have quite sensitive eyes and even a bit of grit getting blown into them can make them quite sore, I hope she is feeling better soon, let us know how you get on at the vets?

Justine
2nd May 2007, 03:54 PM
take to the vets,alfs had a thorn in his eye,hes ok now though,its allways riscky with the eyes.

Barbara Nixon
2nd May 2007, 05:18 PM
Angela, it could very well be lipid (fat) deposit. We discussed this on yahoo, a week or so ago. It doesn't appear to affect the dogs' sight and can disappear. Izzy had deposits, which developed when he was about 7, but teddy had them from an early age. However, on looking to see if I could do a photo for the Yahoo people, I noticed that his have gone, so I had to post this photo of Izzy's eye.

The lipid deposit is the semi opaque, roundish area to the bottom right of the window reflection.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/BarbaraNixon/001izzyeye.jpg