• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yard was chemically treated on Monday...just found out!

Gracie's Mommy

We live in a townhome that has a large grassy area all around. Gracie loves to play out there and also loves to eat the grass! Well, we just found out today that they chemically treated the grass on Monday. Yesterday, she was out playing in the grass for awhile and then threw up. Of course, now we realize that these things are probably related. Our assocation representative called the lawn care company who said that it's ok for dogs to walk on for limited periods of time (not hours at a time) until the first few days have passed and it's melted into the ground. Of course, I'm less worried about her walking on it than I am her eating it!

Geez...now I'm worried! I asked that they do a better job of informing us next time they treat the grass...there was just one VERY small sign for the entire association. It was hard to see, first of all, and even harder to determine exactly what areas were affected. I've asked that they e-mail us in the future...in the meantime, now I'm worried! Will watch her today and call the vet if things seem off by tonight.

Walking on it, right after it's been sprayed is also not a good idea.

Some chemicals can be absorbed through their foot pads and they can lick their feet.

If they give you notice, you can then walk her elsewhere for a couple of days...it was a good idea to have them email you in future. :)

I am sure she'll be fine, especially if she vomited the grass (though sometimes they vomit anyway after eating grass). You are right to make the point to them that owners need to be better informed about something like this; cats too like to eat grass. For children, too, it is important to know when chemicals have been used. (y)

We live in a townhome that has a large grassy area all around. Gracie loves to play out there and also loves to eat the grass! Well, we just found out today that they chemically treated the grass on Monday. Yesterday, she was out playing in the grass for awhile and then threw up. Of course, now we realize that these things are probably related. Our assocation representative called the lawn care company who said that it's ok for dogs to walk on for limited periods of time (not hours at a time) until the first few days have passed and it's melted into the ground. Of course, I'm less worried about her walking on it than I am her eating it!

Geez...now I'm worried! I asked that they do a better job of informing us next time they treat the grass...there was just one VERY small sign for the entire association. It was hard to see, first of all, and even harder to determine exactly what areas were affected. I've asked that they e-mail us in the future...in the meantime, now I'm worried! Will watch her today and call the vet if things seem off by tonight.

Did they put out the warning signs saying the grass had been treated? I'm quite sure that's state law here in MN.

Thanks everyone...we're just going to keep an eye on her and not let her play in the yard for the next few days. There was a big rain the night after they laid the chemical granules...not sure if that makes it worse or better. Except for the throwing up incident, she seems to be coughing a bit. Not sure if that's related or not. I agree that she probably threw up most of whatever chemical was left.
They came out and mowed today and removed the sign. Nonetheless...

Bruce, they did place one very small sign in front of one of the other townhomes. I guess since we all share a "yard" they assumed this was sufficient. Of course, it's a lot of grassy area and the place they placed the sign was right in between our townhome neighborhood and an assisted living center next door. It was somewhat hard to ascertain whether it applied to our yards at all, let alone our yard further down the street.

It's silly really when there are lawn weed killers/treatments that you can let dogs or children go on as soon as it dries. I did it once a few weeks before Dylan came home. It killed all the clover but the moss loved it and flourished!:rolleyes:

I'd be very annoyed by the little sign too. I am sure Gracie will be fine, but it does pay to keep an eye on her. Let us know how she goes.

I use Weed B Gone on my front yard, but absolutely nothing in the back yard where the dogs are. And it shows. But I don't care what the label says, I'm not going to take a chance, especially as a breeder. What if there was no problem with the dogs in general, but there was a problem with birth defects? I hate playing "what if", but ....

As far as the rain, that helps tremendously. In fact, when I spray the front yard, if it doesn't rain after about 2 days, I water it thoroughly to get rid of any chemicals that may be left.

Actually, the worst treatments are the poisons can they put on the lawn for moles and/or insects. I heard that someones dog ate the mole poison and died a painful death. Like Bruce, our front yard is treated-- our back yard is dandelions (which the dogs love, I am not a fan-lol).

Sandy - since you mentioned it..

I lost a flame point siamese to slug bait a number of years ago. Our garden was being over-run by slugs and he got into it.

It was absolutely AWFUL. I was just a little girl and I was the one that found him. It's true what you say about a horrible death.

(sorry to damper the mood)

I am glad you found out about your lawn .. :) I agree they should be responsible for making everybody well aware of when they are treating it next time around :dogwlk:

I am glad you brought this up- especially since Oliver loves to nibble on grass. I just emailed my condo complex to ask that they notify us when they put anything on the grounds!

Thanks!

Back