PDA

View Full Version : flying birds on walks...help!

aleethomas
2nd May 2007, 08:50 PM
So I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem...

Padden goes crazy for any bird or squirrel. She LOVES her walks now since she's discovered them and is on a constant look-out for them. She will walk and then slow down as she scans around and if she sees one (or hears) she becomes uncontrollable. I've tried to tell her to 'leave it' 'no' 'lets go' etc but I don't think we're getting anywhere. She gets so worked up that I have to pick her up and she'll just drop her head on my shoulder as she whimpers.
It's pretty funny but also very annoying having to keep such a tight lock down on the leash at all times.

Any advice on how to approach the situation training wise so she doesn't do this FOREVER? Or is this a lost cause?

Justine
2nd May 2007, 10:31 PM
alfie chases leaves,paper and butterflies yes he is the same,he goes completely deaf,it is annoying,nothing i do stops him i have to put him back on the lead in case i loose him.

Zippy
2nd May 2007, 11:16 PM
Remember that Padden has some hunting bred into her....it's instinct.

With proper training, you might be able to get her attention.

I say might, because our Charley was a squirrel and bird chaser, all of his life.

He could never be off-leash, except in our garden and Mary Alice is the same....she goes nuts over the squirrels. :)

Holly
2nd May 2007, 11:22 PM
In all of the descriptions of Cavaliers, I always seem to read how they will chase birds, squirrels, etc..out into the road so to be very careful about this. Oliver does the same thing- we have a huge fenced-in area behind my condo but he goes crazy when he sees a bird or squirrel. If we are on a walk and he sees one he cries and tries to get to it.

Holly
2nd May 2007, 11:24 PM
Oh- one day we were on a walk and we must have gotten too close to a nest because, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, a bird just dive-bombed us and followed us doing that for quite a ways! It must have looked pretty funny to people passing us! :)

Cathy T
3rd May 2007, 01:46 AM
If you find a solution be sure to let me know!! Shelby is my bird dog!! I call her Muhamad Ali because she bobs and weaves like a boxer when she catches sight of a bird. We were at the park today and there were squirrels everywhere....yikes!!! Jake just pops his head up but Shelby will start crying.

LauraD
3rd May 2007, 04:25 AM
Well, as you can see you are definitely not alone! :rolleyes: Yes Riley too is quite the little "would be" hunter. Birds and squirrels beware!! ;) It started when he was quite young and this did make walks very difficult as there are always birds and squirrels around where I live.
So when we are out on walks and he spots a bird or squirrel and starts getting excited and whining, I have to get his attention by either walking by the critter while telling him "ah-ah" and keeping a very brisk walking pace so that he is forced to follow me. Or if he is really distracted and won't listen, I have to literally get in front of him on the ground (blocking his view of the critter) and giving him commands like "sit", "down", "shake" in sucession until he calms down. Then we can continue our walk.
It ain't easy, but over time he has gotten much better on walks. As far as off leash, I do NOT trust him, so we don't do any of that unless he is in a safe enclosed area. I truly believe that he would run off after a critter if he could and I just don't want to take that chance.
Hang in there, there is hope for things to impove. :thmbsup:

Caraline
3rd May 2007, 04:29 AM
The only cure I know of for bird chasing is old age icon_whistling

Lani
3rd May 2007, 04:30 AM
Lucky is right there hunting alongside your dogs ... things were fine in the winter, but now that spring has sprung he's a little nutcase outside.

Yesterday he went to the door and barked to go outside to bark some more at a squirrel ... on walks he's constantly chasing birds, squirrels, butterflies and flying leaves ... :dogwlk:

Sandrac
3rd May 2007, 10:25 AM
Cinders was a real squirrel chaser, but now unless one pops out right in front of her she's not so bothered. Minnie-May - well thats a different story. She is a bird chaser :dogwlk: I've been doing lots of recall training by stalking birds on the ground and recalling her when she sees them using lots of tasty treats and offering her ball to play with. Just this week she has started going off lead for short periods and I've been recalling her as soon as I see she has seen a bird and then rewarding her when she comes back. It seems to be working - instead of continuing the chase after its taken off and flying, she now comes straight back as soon as the bird flys off. However I'm only doing this in our safe walking area, if we are anywhere different she just stays on her flexi.

Scouty girl
3rd May 2007, 02:49 PM
Cavaliers seem to notice everything. Scout is definetely a bird, squirrel, leaf, butterfly and anthing else that moves chaser. Most of the time when a plane flies over the house she even stares at that. She would probably chase that if she could.

Yesterday she was over my Mom's house who only lives one door away. I could hear her barking and barking. I looked out the back door and there she was at the fence, a squirrel was in the bush right next to it. The squirrel was very confused. If it was in the bush she was barking, if it jumped on the ground and started to run she would bark and run along the fence, poor little thing. I had to open my back door and call her to get her to stop barking, that's when the squirrel made its escape.

angie
3rd May 2007, 06:23 PM
jadan too is a little hunter. seams to smell them before he sees them..or before i do anyway. he is kept on short leed if we pavement walk and then i can give a quick jerk to distract him and a uh uh no. but if he is in the park woods etc then he would be off! makes me laugh to see his little butt wiggle trying to get to it on his long leash though. he has a 8 metre one and that still isnt enough. and god almighty the yelping....we have to reel him in and then make him sit wait etc and when calm give him a big rub down or v small treat. my prob is when he sees a cat, even though he lives with one...it will be just sitting there minding its own buisness and wont move or anything but jadan just goes bonkers. same as above really, distract him etc. sometimes there will be adog being walked towards us and jadan will see a cat up a path and go off on one and the dog owner will cross the road thinking jadan is barking at him.!!!! and not a v friendly dog which is actully completely the opposite he is such a big girl to other dogs. what is it with the cats though?? does he want to play, he doesnt play with our cat so i dont get it, if they ran then ok but they dont. :huh:

Little's Mom
3rd May 2007, 07:30 PM
Little is the best listener..until a bird or squirrel passes by...it is just the hunter in her I suppose. I learned my lesson quickly though. While she is a super listener and is great off leash - a bird flew by us while we were on a busy street and she ran right out into the street. Not a good feeling. We cruise on leash at all times in the city now.