• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does your cav cock his legs to pee?

Angel

I got Scooby desexed at 5 months and am wondering if he will cock his leg to pee (He's almost 6 months at the moment)? Or remain in his current squatting position? I'm kinda hoping that he will stay the way he is at the moment because cocking his legs will make a whole lot of a mess in the house. Just want to see what others cavs are like...

Hi Angel

Because Scooby has been desexed before he got a chance to become sexually mature he may never cock his leg.

I'm kinda hoping that he will stay the way he is at the moment because cocking his legs will make a whole lot of a mess in the house.

A male that cocks his leg will not make a mess in the house unless he is not toilet trained. I've had intact males most of my life and I've never had an adult mark inside the house.

They will pee on your vegetable & herb garden given the opportunity though.

He would still be a bit young to be cocking his leg. Most start between about 6-12 months. The majority of males will eventually cock their legs -- including many, but not all, of those neutered before they started. Some will squat, even those who are intact. And many do a mix (both my neutered males do both, though Leo almost never squats). I know of plenty of dogs neutered before they lifted their leg who end up doing this so be prepared -- most males do NOT go like females go, in one whoosh -- they do lots and lots of small wees preferably in lots of locations, and this is NOT something you want indoors! Hence I would really strongly advise housetraining any male dog to go outside -- chances are he will want to cock his leg and he WILL pee on walls if he has nowhere else to go inside. He will also cock his leg everywhere you take him, in other people's houses, because to him this will be the norm. Once he starts doing adult sized bowel movements several times a day indoors, expect things to become very unpleasant and smelly as well. At five months, he should be mostly housetrained by now though to go outside if you have been housetraining, and a normally-housetrained dog won't lift his leg indoors. (y)

Chances are he will do it when he gets a bit older. I understand (though have never seen it) that there are rare instances where a boy will always squat, but it really is rare.

I had to laugh because a few years back we had one of our puppy people drop off her boy (maybe 9-10 months old) for boarding for a week. She asked if our boys could teach her boy to lift his leg. She was concerned that her boy was peeing like a girl :lol: Well, darned if that boy didn't start lifting his leg while he was at our house!! She was absolutely thrilled when she picked up her boy who now peed like a man!! It was really cute!

Dudley was neutered at 5 1/2 months and did'nt cock his leg until he was close to a year old.
On walks he will cock his leg at every given opportunity, has to let everybody know that he was here. Although in our backyard he will still squat most of the time.

Darby on the other hand is 13 months and he is still squatting 98% of the time and on a few rare occasions at the park he has cocked his leg.

I used to always want them to squat, now that I have two I really don't care either way as long as they are not peeing on each other.

Dudley has marked a couple of times in the home of another friend who had a cavalier if you are concerned about that, a BellyBand will come in handy with a mini sanitary napkin attached.

He has never marked in our home.:) :)

Well, darned if that boy didn't start lifting his leg while he was at our house!!

Just like a boy; as soon as there was an element of COMPETITION up went the leg... :lol:

I remember feeling so proud of Jaspar when his leg started to go up. First it was almost just a little sideways kick, then he started lifting it so high he was barely able to balance on three legs. :) Leo came at 10 months already having to pee higher than the German Shepherd down the street. :rolleyes:

My boys have weeing contests.Who can wee the highest ? or Who can be the last to wee on one spot?

The three last ones, Izzy, Joly and Teddy have cocked legs very early16 weeks or earlier, copying the big boy/boys. It was quite funny to watch the little ones, who cocked so high that they were vertically spread and often toppled over backwards in their efforts.

It was quite funny to watch the little ones, who cocked so high that they were vertically spread and often toppled over backwards in their efforts.

Yes that is what is so funny when they first start and try to be like the big boys! :lol:

Lucky started at 7.5 months - he cocks his leg 75% of the time, and it is hilarious when he does because a lot of the time he will nearly topple over because he has his leg up so high ...

He looks like someone without much balance learning yoga ...

I was soooooo proud of Prince the first time he cocked his leg, my family thought I was mad because I made such a big deal of it, the odd time when he is in lazy mode he wont bother, he just squats :)

Evidently my lil 'man' will never grow up :rolleyes:

Cinder just turned TWO and has NEVER cocked his leg to pee! I was really surprised that he didn't start when we started sending him to doggie-daycare....I thought he would see all the "big-boys" doing it and want to follow suit!! Evidently he was just too cuddly for the doggie-supervisors to ignore tho and most of the time they told us he spend his afternoons on someone's lap! :rotfl:

What a little suck-up! :l*v:

-Bonnie

:lol:

These responses are too funny!

Kosmo was neutered around 5 months too and he learned to lift @ about 9-10 months. I would like to kill him sometimes but it's not too bad.

The worse experience I've had was when Faith came. Kosmo went #2 (Faith had already gone) and I went to pick it up. When I stood up I couldn't for the life of me find Faith's "bag" and went looking for it.. to my surprise, Kosmo found it and was peeing all over it!!! I wanted to kill him!!! icon_devil

Now that i look back on it, it's funny but at that time, it wasn't so because I still had to take the bag back home!

Kosmo still squats 1/2 the time. I sort of "regulate" his peeing because if I don't then he'll lift at every tree and piece of tall grass :roll:

Duncan did not lift until he as around 2 years old (just last month) but now does it only about 15-20% of the time.

My in-laws told me Arthur has lifted his leg once..I don't buy it...I've never seen it.

I have a girl that will lift her leg (just off the ground)-- the overly worry wart that I am ran her to the vet thinking her knee was bothering her. NOPE - both knees are fine and I've seen her pick up the other leg to go too. :eek:

Wow, I guess my boy is a little different. :confused: So at 1 year and 4 months he still has not lifted his leg. And he goes to daycare and is around lots of "big boys", but still no lifting. Plus he does not pee on anything on walks, never has. He just dances to the beat of his own little drum I guess. icon_nwunsure

Sometimes it works in reverse...Oliver does lift his leg to go, but my boyfriend's 100 lb yellow lab, Colby, doesn't!! After Oliver has been hanging out with Colby for a while, he starts to squat just like Colby! It's so funny... especially because my boyfriend thinks Oliver is a "girly" dog! I have to tease him when Colby squats rather than lifting his leg! :)

Our Buddy does lift his leg but almost never "against" anything. He just goes to the middle of the yard and lifts his leg in the air. When he first started doing it he used to lose his balance but now he just stands on three legs with other raised and has at it. He also can "hold" it longer than any dog I have ever had and so he keeps the leg up for what seems like an eternity. How there is that much in one little dog is beyond me!!

Back