• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Funny story on baby Tilly.

Lindsay

Tilly will be 7 months old this month...so hard to believe! She has been driving us nuts not wanting to jump up on the couch by herself. Usually by the time she decides she wants to get up there I am all nice and comfortable and settled. Also there is usually 2 other dogs on top of me by that point, so I have to move them in order to pull her up, which does not go over with them too well. :rolleyes:

We have tried EVERYTHING to get her to quit being a wimp and just make the little jump to get up there. She now stands much taller than the couch when she is on her back feet. It was time to be a big girl. We would put treats at the back of the couch...no. We would put a toy at the back of the couch...no. Josh and I would sit on the top of the back of the couch and squeak toys and call her...no. She would just put her front paws up and cry and cry. I bet our neighbors think we are nuts, jumping around on the couch squeaking dog toys with our dog crying at the top of her lungs on the floor.

Last night we had a break-through. Tilly has a soft spot in her heart for one thing in this world. Treats? Toys? Mommy and Daddy? Nope. Nope. Nope. Her true love is....HOWIE. :winkct: She absolutely loves that cat (and he loves her too). They are best buds. So...I put the adult dogs outside so that we could have her complete concentration, I grabbed Howie and held him up under his armpits and sat on the back of the couch. I'm sure you could guess what happened...

Tilly came around the corner, took one glance at me and Howie on the couch and bounded up there like an old pro. :lol: :lol: :lol: She did it for us several times last night. Josh and I were cracking up.

So, lesson learned. When all else fails, we will bait her with Howie. :lol:!:winkct:

LOL that's so funny. Hey, whatever works, right?

You know something funny? Faith started jumping on and off the couch at about 4 months regardless of how hard I tried to bring her up there myself.. (I didn't want her small body jumping all the way up.) So now she's 6 months, still jumping on the couch and still scared of the stairs!!!!

She will not use them!! I don't understand what her deal is!! I've been putting her on stair #3 and making her go up #s 4-6 by herself and it works, but I have to push her bum up the first step until she completes the rest.. it drives me nuts!! She refuses to go on her own so I carry her.. :sl*p: I hope she's ready to learn soon!

Does Tilly use the stairs?

Sara,
Duncan did not use the stairs FOREVER!! We are up and down a million times a night so he was really getting frustrated not being able to be with us. Finally, I had to go some amazing lengths to TEACH him to use the stairs.

I went to a friend's house and watched the mechanics and order that a dog uses to go up the stairs then I sat next to him and moved his legs in the order the were "supposed" to go in. I think this made him feel the balance necesary to get comfortable on the stairs because within 3 nights he was a pro. :rolleyes: The things we do for them!

I am surprised Faith hasn't just followed Kos...Arthur looked at the stairs with a little trepidation then saw Duncan bound up them and off he went. Down was harder but still very quickly he learned to follow big bro.

My problem has always been keeping Amber off the stairs. Even when she was little, she'd made a good go of getting up them. Had trouble getting down, mind, but she worked it out.

Holly, on the other hand.... was too tiny to get up on the stairs when I got her. She eventually worked out how to get up them (using the strangest combination of hop and jump I've ever seen) but getting down them was no-go. My mother had to physically lift her on and off down each stair. Then it clicked. No problems since!

That is so funny Linday! I can just imagine what your neighbors thought about you two goofballs!! :D :D

That's such a sweet story. I love the way cavaliers latch on to someone or something. (For my 2 younger ones that someone is me :D )

:lol:

In my house it is the opposite; I could train Quincy the fat ginger cat by offering the dogs as rewards... :cool:

Sara,
Duncan did not use the stairs FOREVER!! We are up and down a million times a night so he was really getting frustrated not being able to be with us. Finally, I had to go some amazing lengths to TEACH him to use the stairs.

I went to a friend's house and watched the mechanics and order that a dog uses to go up the stairs then I sat next to him and moved his legs in the order the were "supposed" to go in. I think this made him feel the balance necesary to get comfortable on the stairs because within 3 nights he was a pro. :rolleyes: The things we do for them!

I am surprised Faith hasn't just followed Kos...Arthur looked at the stairs with a little trepidation then saw Duncan bound up them and off he went. Down was harder but still very quickly he learned to follow big bro.

LOL Ashley you did go through great lengths didnt you! I made Fiath go up the stairs this morning :D I threw a treat on every second stair. :rolleyes: Too bad we didn't have lindsay's cat :lol: SHe still doesn't go down them though. One day I was in the kitchen doing something with raw chicken and I looked over to the living room and faith was on the stiar :confused: I tried to get her to come down but she smelled the chicken and thought it was for her and tried running :sl*p: She fell down 2 stairs (wasn't hurt thankfully) so since that day I've been diligently trying to make her learn. SHe's obviously curious about it.. :lol:

The things we do for dogs. . .

Lindsay you should ship me your cat for a few weeks.. I am sure it would help me teach Faithey a few tricks

Back