PDA

View Full Version : list of things I need for new cav puppy... can you help me out?

ness
6th May 2007, 02:19 AM
Im getting a cav puppy soon and im sooo exited :D I have always loved cavs and im finally getting one! I have owned dogs all my life and own a jack russell named Lilly and a old goldie cross named Napolion so I am not new to dogs just cavs. Is there anything special I need to buy for her? like what kind of brushes to buy? and what type of dish is best for long ears ect? Im just very exited about it all so I want to make a list of things I need for her :)

murphy's mum
6th May 2007, 09:02 AM
Hmm, I for one would love to hear about a dish that could keep my boys ears out:roll: We just have to brush the food or whatever out when it's dried.

I use a slicker brush and a comb for Murphy but he's 14 months now, we used a soft puppy brush when he was a puppy. As for anything special, I can't really thinkicon_nwunsure A good shampoo and conditioner, and maybe a De-tangling spray? Their ears can get in to some big knots in the blink of an eye:D

Oh and the most important thing to have for a Cav, a comfortable lap of course:cool:

Karlin
6th May 2007, 10:43 AM
This is a great list:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manual1.htm

As for ears -- you really need to use a snood or a headband that isn't constrictive. I use really stretchy scrunchies but they really need snoods now as their ears are so long. Most spaniel dishes are designed for cockers and larger and are too big for cavaliers to keep their ears clean. I feed my dogs in small cat dishes which helps.

Caraline
6th May 2007, 11:25 AM
Hmm, I for one would love to hear about a dish that could keep my boys ears out:roll: We just have to brush the food or whatever out when it's dried.

I use those china bowls with the straight up & down sides, not the sloping sides. I choose a size that the dog can get his snout into but his ears fall on the outside of the bowl. When Beau was a baby I started him with one of those little cream burlee dishes & then as his face grew bigger I changed to a larger size. We never get dirty ears :D