• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Phase two of CavalierTalk

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Now that we are moved over to this new board software and I've been able to add in personal profiles (see below), I'm beginning work now on the next phase of the website. This is to create a main information site, which people will eventually find at the www.cavaliertalk.com url, and the board will be a subsection (the url for the board is actually http://board.cavaliertalk.com, but the main url redirects to the board at the moment).

On the main site, all the material that is currently in the Library section will be moved and more easily accessible and better organised, rather than just a long list of threads.

I also intend to really expand the information that is there and am hoping folks also will let me use some of the great pics we have had on the website to add illustrations to the site -- some of those in the CavalierTalk calendar, for example, and those that come up in the themes competitions.

I'd also love to get some images of some of our breeders' show cavaliers so that people can enjoy seeing what really beautiful breed examples look like.

I also am going to set up a CavalierTalk store -- not carrying items necessarily but doing some links to recommended books, suggested videos etc. The main site will also carry some ads. These will help to defray some of my operating costs and any extra will go towards rescue. :) I would still like to get some CavalierTalk items (I never did hear back from the UK woman who does embroidery machine work) but there are various options for things. I know this won't interest some, but will interest others as I do get asked from time to time.

I do not intend to put lots of ads, if any, onto the board here. One option I might consider is that unregistered guests would see some Google ads within a standalone post when viewing a thread -- but registered members would never see these. A lot of boards use these and they seem to work well because members never have to view any ads at all. If the income stream is tiny and the main site -- as expected -- gets most traffic, I wouldn't even bother with this. Right now, my feeling is that I am far more likely to keep all ads on the main site, though I might try a trial of the ads that members do NOT see.

I'll be interested in opinions about the profile pages as well -- whether people like them and use them. If you haven't done anything with yours or didn't realise you have one, all members have two profiles -- a short one that comes up on the Members List and which you edit thru the User CP (control panel) up on the left of the menu bar, but a longer more detailed one that is in the Member Pages link on the right of the menu bar at he top of the site (there's also a link to your page to the right of your name on every post you make on the board). You can put pics here, info about yourself, change the colours and layout, set up a dogblog -- anything you'd like.

:w*w: This all sounds wonderful Karlin

I'll be interested in opinions about the profile pages as well -- whether people like them and use them.

Yep, I really enjoy pawing through people's profile pages & I have put some stuff in mine, including the blog section. I've also put a little bit of stuff in the profile section under the CP. I find it a really nice way of getting to know people better.

Last edited:
I can’t wait to see what the finished site will look like :)

I'll be interested in opinions about the profile pages as well -- whether people like them and use them.

I’ve been using my profile; I now have three pages on there.

The main profile page, a photos page and now a video page. Shame the videos are so crap but they are all I can use at the moment. :eek:

I still dont get how you added your new pages. I go to profile, I click either add new block content page or add new blank content page and either way, I end up with only a page like the dogblog where I can type! I cant seem to add a new page that will let me edit by adding photos. ARGGG What am I missing here!

Kodee said:
I still dont get how you added your new pages. I go to profile, I click either add new block content page or add new blank content page and either way, I end up with only a page like the dogblog where I can type! I cant seem to add a new page that will let me edit by adding photos. ARGGG What am I missing here!

You need to click on 'Add new blocks page', give it a name and then just click on 'Add new blocks' select which blocks you want i.e photos or mediaand click on add to the page you want.

You need to just keep adding how many blocks you want to the page. Then the fun begins with messing around with the layout of the blocks.;)

Hope this helps:flwr:

You also do have a space allocation so if you have uploaded a bunch of large photo files you may have maxed out your space -- jus another consideration.

Forgot to add, you can add any of the blocks to the new page so you could make a profile page for each of your dogs, for the lucky so and so who have more than one ;)

You need to click on 'Add new blocks page', give it a name and then just click on 'Add new blocks' select which blocks you want i.e photos or mediaand click on add to the page you want.

You need to just keep adding how many blocks you want to the page. Then the fun begins with messing around with the layout of the blocks.;)

Hope this helps:flwr:
Ah you need to click both... I was choosing between one or the other. Thanks, if that doesnt work, it must be what Karlin said and maybe my limit.

Ah you need to click both... I was choosing between one or the other. Thanks, if that doesnt work, it must be what Karlin said and maybe my limit.

I don't think you are anywhere near the limit yet?

But I have downsized all my photos before I put them on the photos page instead of trying to upload a normal size photo.

Hello!

All sounds really good Karlin, this site already knocks the socks off another one I used to frequent, keep up the good work! Will try to dig out some pics of some of my show dogs if you are interested? Still fighting with a few driver issues at the moment as I have that new Vista version of Windows....... :rolleyes: But will see what I can do??

Karlin, (or anyone!!) ,
I accidentally disabled the box to upload a profile on the new profile page...anyone know how to enable that again? I clicked the little "x" accidentally and now I cant figure it out...darn it!:eek:

Karlin, (or anyone!!) ,
I accidentally disabled the box to upload a profile on the new profile page...anyone know how to enable that again? I clicked the little "x" accidentally and now I cant figure it out...darn it!:eek:

Don't worry I have done it too many times now :eek:

You need to click on 'add new block' then select 'inactive blocks' click on the block you need then click on 'Re-enable'

Don't worry I have done it too many times now :eek:

You need to click on 'add new block' then select 'inactive blocks' click on the block you need then click on 'Re-enable'

Excellent, thanks! that was easy enough! :)

It all sounds great Karlin, I can't wait to see it when it's all done! I think it's great already, and the idea of adding photos is wonderful too! Thanks for your hard work, this website is fabulous! I enjoy the Member Pages!

:dogwlk:

Back