• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Drag the bottom

Laura&Lia

Hi,

Lia does it a lot. Always has done it, since she was 2 months old. The vet told us not to worry because seemed a puppy thing. She is dewormed every three months.

Last saturday the obediance teacher said to me that if they drag their bottom is because they have a parasit or something that could not be eliminated with the worm pill that I'm giving to Lia.

The truth is that Lia does it but not a lot, maybe one or two times a week (that I see, but I spend a lot of time at home). Would you do a fecal test? I guess that if this is was a parasit Lia should do it more often? But if I don't do it i think I'm going to worry every time more.

Thank you

Bad habit

Mine too....I read in a Cavalier book that it is their (breed) bad habit....and will alway do it infront of company..Ha! Thank goodness they are so so cute!

I've read in a couple of books that say that scooting is a breed trait. However, having said that, when we first adopted Sonny, he was scooting and I thought "oh it is ok it is just a breed trait". A few weeks later I had him at the vets with a huge abcess on his butt, caused by a blocked & infected anal gland.

I guess your vet would have checked out Lia's anal glands? and if she is up to date with her worming then maybe it is just a funny little habit.

If you live in a country that doesn't routinely worm (here in Oz we do it every 3 months, regardless) then yes maybe you need to do the fecal test. I would have thought your vet would have mentioned it if he thought worms were the problem though. Can you give him a ring & get some further advice?

Oh yes, anal glands checked 15 days ago.

And here in Spain we worm every 3 months regardless, maybe is only a bad habit, but would you do an anal test?

Well I'd reckon that if the vet has recently checked her anal glands, and you have been routinely worming her, and her little butt looks normal, ie not red & inflamed, then yeah, I'd be inclined to think it is just the funny little puppy Cavalier habit. I'd keep an eye on her though. Just check her little rear end every day to make sure it looks normal, and watch for signs of distress. Probably not a bad idea to make a note of whether she is scratching excessively or doing anything else that seems out of the ordinary.

but would you do an anal test

Do you mean, seeing if her anal glands are inflamed & blocked? Or do you mean a poo sample for worms?

If you mean a poo sample for worms... then there is no point. If you are worming regularly, any worms & their eggs are destroyed so there would be nothing to show.

Last edited:
I don't know that we've ever had a small dog that DIDN'T scoot... but can't recall seeing either of the Saints doing it. We don't have worms, and I've always just assumed they were 'scratching'. Or wiping :eek: ... since they seem to prefer a clean throw rug.

KC

I don't know that we've ever had a small dog that DIDN'T scoot... but can't recall seeing either of the Saints doing it.

I had always had big dogs in the past and had never seen one scoot. I was horrified when I watched Sonny scooting all around the place, especially outside on the rough wooden veranda with its nails sticking out of the boards.

Or wiping :eek:

laugh_rotfl.gif

What I would really like to know is, why do they especially love to do it when you have nice proper visitors.

Thank you very much for your answers.
Caraline, I meant a poo sample. Thank you for your words.

Oh, I love this board!!!

All three of mine will happily scoot within days of having anal glands expressed and don't have worms so it sure does seem to be a breed trait or a small dog trait (though there can of course be real reasons for scooting too). I wonder why small dogs do this though?

BELGH!! Wesley does this too. What is even worse is that we have wooden floors so he will sit his butt on my towel and slide them across the floor with my towel under him!!!

That's what I get for leaving stuff on the floor!! :rolleyes:

I asked my dad and he said this:

"If you were a dog and your butt itched, how would you scratch it?" :lol::lol:

Both of mine do it.. and yes, more so when people are over. It's kind of embarassing to say the least. Last weekend we had a guest over and I was trying to show off Kosmo's tricks and all he wanted to do was scoot icon_blshing

Back