• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Who gives their dog tea ?

luvzcavs

Just read a couple of posts where some people give their dog a cup of tea to assist with coughing (or maybe just as a treat).

Now I realise some people have done this forever without a problem and my great aunt had a dog who had a cup of tea everyday and lived to a ripe old age of 18 but my question is:

Is the caffiene safe ?
I was always led to believe that caffiene was bad for dogs ?

I give Prince tea sometimes, he loves it, I can leave a mug down or he will be over like a shot to drink it. I dont know if its bad for him, as I said, its on the odd time he gets some :)

Caffeine can be fatal. A single cup now and then isn't going to be risky but as caffeine is not good for animals anyway, why risk giving any? (y) More info:

Caffeine poisoning is not as common as chocolate poisoning but it is still seen occasionally

Caffeine is present in * :

coffee
instant 65mg/cup
percolated 100mg/cup
tea - 15-75mg/cup
cocoa - 10-17 mg/cup#
chocolate - 60-70mg/bar#
some cola drinks - 40-65 mg/12oz can
Lucozade 18mg/100g
Some cold treatments
Some pain killers
Caffeine stimulant tablets
Caffeine stimulant drinks (eg Red Bull)
# The main stimulant and potential toxin in chocolate and cocoa is theobromine.

If enough is eaten it can be fatal for both dogs and cats. The lethal dose of caffeine for dogs and cats is 150mg/kg body weight, and regular instant coffee contains over 60mg caffeine per teaspoon - so for a 3 kg cat 8 teaspoons of coffee would be potentially fatal, and there is NO ANTIDOTE.

Signs of poisoning that may be noticed by owners include :

Excitement
Increased breathing rate
Increased heart rate
Muscle tremors
Fits
Bleeding
Veterinarians may also detect :

Abnormal heart rhythm (called arrhythmias)
Generalised congestion

(* Reference source for some of the content Manual of Dietetic Practice by Briony Thomas 1994 Blackwell Science)
From: http://www.provet.co.uk/petfacts/healthtips/caffeinepoisoning.htm

My healthy dogs only get the last licks from a mug, take turns and there's not always any left to lick. However, with a sick dog, there's nothing to lose and it can help.

jadan will sit waiting patiently for his morning sip of tea, and i like my morning cuppa too much to let him have more than that anyway....sorry jadan.

Crumbs! Amber likes to pinch coffee if she gets half a chance. Admittedly though I've taken to making it weak... but I'll be even more careful now that she doesn't get the stuff. I have noticed that the couple of times she did get a good gulp she was a bit hyper afterwards....

No more coffee for Miss Amber!

Cassie used to love tea. She would sit staring at me everytime I had a cup of tea. I would give her the last few drops of my cup every now and then. She lived to 14 years old :)

Back