• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does anyone elses cavs

sallymum

Sam has always loved his food, too much so. Lately what he is doing is gross. On our walks if we come across a dead mouse, bird or frog if i dont see it in time he will pounce and swallow before i can do anything. One of these was a black bird that had been dead a good few days. Surely it cant be good for him. If i happen to find a dead mouse or bird outside the house and move it Sam will still know its been there and will roll on that spot. is this normal behaviour.

Lots of dogs do this, especially the rolling (some like to roll in fox waste). Monty used to eat desicated frogs, as a puppy, but that was his limit.

For your dog's safety, I would walk him on a lead and be extra vigilant. You never know what the animal died of or what disease is developing on the corpse.

sam is always on his lead as his is deaf and also cos i dont think its safe to let cavs of leads as once they get a sniff of whatever takes their fancy they are gone.
thats what i was worried that there might be something nasty on the dead animal and pass it on to sam.
sam only manages to get something if i take my eye of wherever we are walking for a sec.

They have a built in ablity to eat all sorts of things we couldn't manage -- dead and rotting animals would be normal food for wild dogs. I wouldn't worry too much outside of trying to prevent him from eating things if at all possible -- I'd be less worried about bacteria or organisms on dead animals than aboput them eating small bones. Usually the worst that will happen is a day or two of GI problems. Mine eat and roll in dead things as awell as a variety of animal poop -- I try to stop them but it isn't always possible or easy to do.

Yep, it is all very natural behaviour and fortunately a dog's constitution is quite different to ours, so thing that would make us dreadfully sick often have no affect on the dog at all. Still, I am with you :yuk: I try to discourage it if I can.

Back