PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mouth.



Justine
14th May 2007, 03:22 PM
i have just spent the last ten mins chasing alfs around the garden as he had something in his mouth,guess what a BEE,this is the third time he has done this.he had managed to eat the wings and patr of the body and still didnt get stung,tha last 2 times he has caught them mid air.one bee i got off him it was still alive,so i put him on the bush and bought you know who in.it does annoy me as i am big into wild life and we need bees,plus he is going to get stung,and thats going to hurt.

sallymum
14th May 2007, 03:40 PM
Sam is the same, he will eat anything that has a pulse. I have lost count the number of bees and flies he has ate. He still hasnt been stung.

Lani
14th May 2007, 03:56 PM
Lucky swallowed a spider once ... freaked me out. I saw him chewing on something and reached into his mouth to pull out a spider leg.

I told my sister and she reminded me of this little rhyme from our child hood ..

http://www.poppyfields.net/poppy/songs/oldwoman.html

at least he did not swallow a bird to catch the spider ...

moniechris
14th May 2007, 04:44 PM
EEK!! Cody got stung by a bee in the muzzle once and it swelled to the size of a grape fruit :yikes It was so scary!! I always keep Benedryl on hand now because of it... I'm glad that Alfie didn't get stung!!

Battie4
14th May 2007, 05:05 PM
what do you do if your dog/puppy does get stung by a bee or some other kind of insect?

Kelly
14th May 2007, 05:12 PM
I'm glad it isnt just Chester that does this!

I even caught him eating a big beetle in the garden the other day.

moniechris
14th May 2007, 07:03 PM
what do you do if your dog/puppy does get stung by a bee or some other kind of insect?


It depends on what kind of insect and what kind of reaction the pup is having to it.Cody obviously had an allergic reaction to the sting, but other dogs won't neccisarily be anything but sore. I would always call the vet to be sure of any bite, and try to keep the bug so they know what they are dealing with ;)

tsorningold
14th May 2007, 07:16 PM
Always call your vet in case of allergic reactions, but benedryl is always good to have on hand.

The dose for it is 1mg per pound of your animal. This is one of those things that when you need it you would be glad you have it.

On a side note if you have ever had to call Animal Poison Control it will cost you about $50 for a consult. Meaning you will have to have you credit card ready when you call... if any of you have Home Again microchips and you upgrade past just the recovery program it includes the Poison Control with it! :)

One of my cats as an Avid Chip, but I called and had it registered with Homeagain, so I could get the benifets of the poison control.

Cathryn
14th May 2007, 09:43 PM
I am so glad that Alfie didn't get stung, bee stings are never nice and can be very dangerous for dogs, many years ago my best friend had to abandon a showing class in the final stages when her dog was stung by a bee, he went into shock and had to be rushed to the vets tent pretty sharpish :( Happily he was fine.

Alfie please settle for chasing the "Buzzla's" and not catching them in future!!

Joanne M
14th May 2007, 11:51 PM
Alfie must be very fast, like a snapping turtle. On this topic of bees, they are plaguing me, you'd never know there was a decreasing bee population by my back yard. They are making nests all along my roof line and all along my back porch, which makes for difficulty getting in and out.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to deter them from making nests without using a pesticide that will kill the bees? I do not keep any flowering plants near my house. Today I tried spraying vinegar along the porch hoping they wouldn't like it, but it did not seem to do more than annoy them. I'm afraid one of the kids will get stung while visiting me, at least one of my nephews is allergic to bee stings.

tsorningold
15th May 2007, 04:01 AM
This is weird I know it is... but I have people swear that the cheap toilet bowl cleaners(like that hang on the bowl) work great.
People put them under barbecue grills, swing-sets...ect...
You can treat them like air fresheners in cars, leave the plastic on and cut away a cornor of the plastic to preserve the scent.

;p

Justine
15th May 2007, 01:24 PM
i am scared of getting stung,i was stung a while back,vinager is great on a sting but you need to get the sting out first.i cant believe he hasnt been stung yet,he is so quick at catching the bees,by the way these bees are the big bumble bee,not the workers.these guys are huge.