PDA

View Full Version : Dog therapy begins at home

PamH
15th May 2007, 10:00 PM
Maddy has been in NH less than 48 hours and already has done a minor miracle! My in-laws are in their 80's and really don't leave their home much. They sit there watching TV. We took Maddy to introduce her to them yesterday. They loved her (of course). Today my husband went over to mow their lawn for them. He told them that part of the deal was he would mow the lawn but they had to watch Maddy while he did it.
After a short time I guess she went to the door and so his dad put her leash on and actually took her out! Later my husband went in to find Maddy on his mom's lap and his mother was patting her (with rheumatic hands) and cooing at her. I truly feel she will make a difference in their lives.
Pam

arasara
15th May 2007, 10:26 PM
That's amazing Pam!! I have no doubt Maddy enjoyed every minute of that too!! After Kosmo and I had our therapy experience last night, I will never again underestimate the healing power that these little dogs can have. It's just amazing, isnt it??

Glad your in laws loved her ;) But, seriously, how could you not?? :D

Crittercall
15th May 2007, 11:30 PM
That's really great, Pam. Maddy can make a difference. My Mom and Dad are both right at 80 and they "baby sit" for my sister and my niece when either of them goes out of town. Mom keeps a calendar with the dates on it of when she is going to have a boarder. They grumble a little bit sometimes, but they love it.

Sara, I didn't know you and Kosmo went out last night! What fun!! Glad you guys enjoyed it.:D

natalieandmike
15th May 2007, 11:33 PM
Great story, Pam. I've noticed that a relative with 'dog allergies all his life' miraculously seems to be sneeze-and-wheeze free whenever Bianca is around. Hmm...miracle dog? Or the power of personality? ;) -Natalie

Shay
16th May 2007, 02:47 AM
It is amazing how these little dogs make people fall in love with them. My 80 year old Mother adores Lily and baby sits for her all the time. Lily adores her too. Actually, everyone in my family loves her, even the ones who are not dog people.

Crittercall
16th May 2007, 05:56 AM
But then, Cavaliers aren't really DOGS are they?:D

Charleen
16th May 2007, 11:54 AM
Well Done Maddy! That is wonderful that she is helping your in-laws.:rah: :rah: :rah: :rah:

Joanne M
16th May 2007, 03:42 PM
I know I feel blessed to have a cavalier in my life. They have such a great capacity to love. Tucker's family circle is large and he loves everyone in it. LOL - My mother even speaks to him on the phone, and she was never a "dog person" before.