• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello

angelface

Hello everybody! My friend had an overseas job assignment for a very lengthy amount of time. I was a foster mom for their Cavalier. Now that they're back I found I am lonely without the company of their beloved dog. So now I am anxiously waiting to become a real Cavalier mom. I hope my application will be approved by several of the breeders that are now interviewing candidates for their puppies. Hope there will be some leftover!

I just came from a pet store and they had two of the most adorable cavaliers. One was a ruby female and the other was a tri-color male. Any thoughts and advice on buying a cavalier from a pet shop? TIA

Dont !

Only buy cavaliers from a reputable breeder who health tests the parents properly & cares enough about their puppies to choose the owners carefully themselves, not dump them in a shop to be sold to the first person with enough cash

What about reputable pet shops? Are they are guilty of selling poor quality pet cavaliers? I would love a show dog without putting the little pup through the paces and not for breeding.

Again, Don't go that way!!

When you buy from a breeder you have the chance to see the pups with their Mom and see what her temperament is like, you might get to meet Dad too if the breeder used their own dog. You will have the chance also to meet other relatives to the puppy, older Brothers, Sisters, Aunt's, Uncles, Grandparents etc, you will be able to check out the health of all of this extended family.

Most importantly of all you will be able to check on all health testing done on BOTH parents of the pup, see the relative certificates etc, you will have a much higher chance of buying a healthy puppy from a proven healthy bloodline, a puppy who will have many happy healthy problem free years ahead of him/her.

The pet shop itself may be reputable, but how do you know that the person they bought their puppies from is reputable? You will have no way of knowing if the health certificates (if any) are the right one's for that pups parents, how will you be able to judge the temperament of that puppy, this is a very risky way to buy a puppy, in fact here in the UK pet shops are no longer allowed to sell puppies and kittens any more.

If you really want to show then you are best off getting on the waiting list of breeder with a proven record for producing, sound, healthy even tempered dogs and waiting for the right puppy to come along.

Thank you, Cathryn! Now it makes more sense to me why I should be visiting a breeder for a puppy. I didn't think about the possibility of meeting both parents including the extended family. I will take your words to heart and wait for the breeders that have been contacted already for their responses. I will definitely like to visit the home were the puppy has been bred.

Back