PDA

View Full Version : New book: Cavalier Spaniels: A Tribute in Art

Karlin
20th May 2007, 11:00 AM
US breeder Barbara Garnet Wilson, who produced the very beautiful and highly recommended Cavalier Spaniels in Fact and Fancy last year (the best book I own on cavaliers in terms of visual pleasure and practical content), is now taking preorders for the companion volume as it is going to press and will be available by summer. If you preorder from her, a lovely slipcase for both volumes is included free.

More info: www.laughingcavaliers.com

http://www.laughingcavaliers.com/images/tribute%20cover%203a.jpg

From her press release:

To give you an idea of the impact of The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: A Tribute in Art, here is a review of a digital edition of the book by Dr. Edgar Peters Bowron, Curator of European Art, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas.

“The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: A Tribute in Art is a unique and important contribution to the literature of the breed it honors. Featuring nearly 200 pages of full-color images by an astonishing variety of artists, this ‘must-have’ book is a first-class compilation of exquisite works of art, carefully researched and chosen to capture the allure of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel over its 700-year heritage.

"Elegant, entertaining, and of meticulous quality, this celebration of Cavaliers in art is a delight to read, and I take pleasure in commending it—not just to dog fanciers, but to anyone who simply enjoys outstanding art.”

These two books are well worth saving for.

Karlin
20th June 2007, 02:18 PM
Just a reminder that this new book is going to be published around now -- so if anyone is interested in ordering it, this would be a good time. :)

Cathryn
21st June 2007, 06:37 PM
Hi!

I managed to get her first book The Cavalier King charles Spaniel in North America, which is now sold out and considered a classic! This lady has a fantastic knowledge of the breed and if the book I have is anything to go by I would say "Get in there while you can!", I have already ordered my pair!! Ouch!! There goes the bank balance again!! :lol: :lol:

Cathy T
22nd June 2007, 03:41 AM
Her books are absolutely gorgeous!

lb0024
22nd June 2007, 04:11 AM
Oh, no! I have to have it!! I am on a hunt to find old (1800s) paintings with cavaliers in them. Actually, I only need to find one that I really like, so I can purchase a poster of it and frame it to hang in my home (a Victorian). I think it would be a perfect addition to my home. :mona: I think the book could be a valuable resource.

I'd like to get both books, but not sure I really want to spend that much money. Do those of you who own it feel that it's a resource that you refer to, or more like a "coffee table book"? Or both!?

Cathryn
22nd June 2007, 12:37 PM
Haven't had mine yet, but I think it will be abit of both to be honest, a great resource for finding pictures but also a wonderful book to read as well!!

lb0024
22nd June 2007, 06:32 PM
Ha! I was not clear at all when I wrote my previous message. :confused:

I was inquiring more about the first book, In Fact and Fancy. I am positive that I want the new one because I will definitely enjoy it. But the first one seems much like any resource book on Cavaliers, and I already have those. It is a large book, though, so it seems it must have a lot more info than the little paperbacks I have purchased.

Thanks,
-laura

Karlin
22nd June 2007, 08:00 PM
They are well worth the money for anyone who loves cavaliers -- the first is, in a word, a sumptuous resource book full of coffee table pictures and history as well as tons of practical advice on everything from doing agility to home grooming/show grooming and caring for a puppy. There is an entire CHAPTER on cavalier oldies celebrated in pictures, for example -- this is written assuming anyone would enjoy both pictires and information; not targetted at breeders or pet owners but will be enjoyed by both. The first is my favourite cavalier book, hands down. The boom design is beuatiful (I work in media and have some design background and can say this is one of the NICEST books on any topic I have every seen!).

I cannot wait for the second book as well. These are the only dog books I imagine I will keep on the coffeetable nu the first is a very useful information resource too; even that dachsie blow-in Tara (TKC) loved this book and wished there was something similar for dachshunds!