• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppia's

ness

I have noticed that alot of you use puppias on your cavs. I really want to get one for my puppy for when he's big enough because I think the look great! what size would I need to get for him?

how old is he?? where u located? bax is still quiet small and a small puppia fits him fine!

Well I havent got him yet, he comes home in three weeks. I want it more for when he's fully grown. He will probabley be to small for it for a when I get him at 8 weeks old. Im in Australia. I was gonna order one off ebay, but dident know what size to get.

I got Chester a medium Puppia when he was 3-4 months old. It was a little big around the neck area but was fine. He is still in it now & he is 9 months old. I have just recently got him the large size but it swamps him.

I've found it is hard to get them off ebay, if you want one from Australia anyway! If you go to their website www.puppia.com.au (I think) you can email them and buy one that way. Their $28 and free delivery!

Ollie could wear a medium from about 4 months. We had to make do before that with the odd slip out at puppy school. It was alright as we were not walking him out on the roads at that time. The medium is still a little big for him but I'm sure he'll grow into it soon.

Now for a little Ruby boy if I remember correctly? Theres some nice designs out there! :D The Black Lattice looks really nice on them, I think Linda posted some photos of her Darby in a black lattice

Beau wore a small one until he was about 16 weeks, then he needed the medium. He is currently 6.6 kilograms. Sonny who weighs between 8 - 8.5 kilograms fits nicely into the large.

Be careful with them as i found, dont know about anyone else but the catch in them goes, could be dangerous. Sally had one on out walking and she pulled and it undone, first time i thought maybe it was me that i hadnt done it up properly, but it happened again. Tobys is fine but the same thing happened with Sam's i dont use them now.

I've always wondered, how do puppia's differ from ordinary harnesses ? I've never seen them in England.

I have five and they all have worked fine and held up to numerous washings. That said some of them have weaker plastic clasps then others but I haven't had any problems. I think sometimes some people get a too small size? -- still fits over the head but maybe overall the size isn't robust enough for the dog.

A lot of us like Puppias simply for the way they look and the variety of colours, plus they seem very comfortable for the dogs. My favourite harness they do is acually the little jacket ones, not the mesh ones. But everyone may have personal references; there are lots of different harnesses. I use a range of brands myself, am a bit of a harness fanatic. :lol:

In the UK you can order through www.petlondon.com (or visit them off Oxford St though you need to call in advance), or www.dogtrainingireland.ie who will currently ship for free (see TKC's post in Shopaholics; just let her know you are on the board).

ok this might be a dumb question but why does everyone use puppias? Why not just use a regular collar and leash set? I feel like the puppias would be more restrictive and uncomfortable for a dog especially if they are kept on at all times. I have no idea - I haven't used one but everyone on here seems to be crazy about them and I'm trying to understand why. Plus, dont they get in the way or you petting your cavs beautiful coat if left on while in the home?

i only put my puppias on when i am bringing them for walks! They are easy to get on and very comfortable for ur lil furry baby! If u use a collar and ur dog is a puller well then u can do damage to there lil necks, with a harness the leash goes on there back and therefore is not likely to damage them. ( well thats what i think anyway) Plus they are really cute!!

you don't have to leave them on. Most people take them off. But with a puppy, as often as you take them out you might want to leave it on during most of the day when he's going out a lot.

People use Puppias for two reasons I'd say:

1) the first reason I got it is because I did not feel safe with just a collar - because I live in a very urban area and did not want to risk Lucky slipping out

2) Puppias, because they are soft harnesses tend to put less pressure on the Cavalier's through if they pull, so this is thought to be safer because many Cavaliers are prone to a genetic condition called SM which can be aggravated by leash walking.

Other's can chime in much more on the SM issue, but besides their cute diesign, that's a primary reason so many of us use them (the cute designs are why so many of us own more than one!) :dogwlk:

Agreeing with you on that Lani!!

I have a almost 4 month old young boy, Darcy, who is about the worst puller I have EVER had!! The last thing I want to do is injure his neck with a half or full choke collar, I find that the Puppia harness distributes Darcy's weight through the force of him pulling very evenly across his chest and NOT on his baby neck!!

Now, I just have to figure out how to train him on a show collar, I have NEVER had a pup pull this much in all my years of showing/breeding, guess there's a first time for everything!!

We just got finn a puppia of his own yvonne was so good she lent me one of holly's old one's but is was pink and poor finn is a boy :eek: so now he has his own a black one ( I would have liked the coloured one but hubby said no way :rolleyes: ) They are much better than a collar especially for puppy's as the fit is much more secure thats my main priority went walking finn :)

Niamh, I was banned from buying a coloured Puppia as well! :) Mark, refused to walk Cleo in a coloured one lest it start a trend and I ended up putting her is 'a pink tutu'! No fancy clothes for Cleo here - now we've had the puppiafor a few months, I'm thinking of getting another (this time a coloured one) for the summer don't you know! :D

Thanks for all the info everyone :) and thanks for the link cavalicious, I will order one off there. I think I will get size small and I will just get a bigger size when he grows out of it. So are these puppias only for small dogs? because if a large size fit's a cav then they must only be for the smaller dogs? I thourght the large one's were for large breed dogs lol. What colour should I get? he's a ruby. Im thinking mabey blue? I really love that colour!

Tanya he totally refused to buy one at all but one of the trainers told him he had to so I was delighted, he thinks they look like a thong:rotfl:and refused to walk him in the one yvonne lent us:dogwlk: But he likes the black one I will use the summer excuse to buy a coloured one anyway black attracts the heat doesn't it:rotfl:icon_whistling

Niamh,

Definitely black would be hugely uncomfortable in the summer for a cav, afterall they are still carrying around the fur coat the wore all winter and thus are in danger of overheating!

Back