• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do Your Cavs like Swimming?

Mycavyangels

Iam Just curious, my Cavaliers only go in the water for a little paddle, not really a swim, they only swim if they fall in lol
Buddy does like the water but only the shallow parts
Do your cavaliers like water?

I've never tried them, but doubt it, as they hate getting wet. As a pup, Teddy used o shake his pawsin disgust if he stepped in even a very shallow puddle.

No! Ollie swims when he must (If I'm going in!!) but he shivers and shakes and whimpers when he does. Though it is getting colder so it would upset him more now.

I remember once he actually ran into the water to greet another dog he saw! I was pretty proud :p

Cassie loved swimming and always had to walk through every single puddle she came across. Honey used to follow Cassie in but doesn't really the water. I don't think Bella would like to swim as she doesn't like to get her feet wet, not sure about Molly but I will try them this summer.

Sonny was most unimpressed when I took him into the water for a swim. Winter is on its way here, so I haven't tried Beau yet.

Leo and Jaspar LOVE it -- fetching sticks from the water is a favourite form of exercise (and it gets them clean!). Or wading in the sea. Lily only likes going in up to her belly though. :lol: In warmer weather I take them to swim in the dog pond (yes that is what it is called) in the nearby park, or to the canals, or to the beach. :)

Jaspar learned very quickly to swim (after he fell in a duck pond and found he liked it!) but Leo spent about a year running along the shore whining at him. Then one day Leo just threw himself in. If anything Leo is now the one who will rush in and just start swimming.

They actually like water so much that I have to be very careful with them when there's a pond nearby. If they scent it they will bolt for the water, Leo in particular -- one of the only times I cannot get Leo to return when called. I'm always worried he will run across a road or find there's an agressive dog there when he gets there. :neutral:

We have a park with a pond that we go to and I can't keep Oliver out of the water! It drives me crazy as then I have to give him a bath when we get home!

i would love to bring mine swimming going to try it soon!

Bring them to our local beach,( we are so luck to have a beach in the bog)my guys love it up there. But be warned it can get pretty busy up there, the best times i find to go are week eve. about 5.

Leo and Jaspar LOVE it -- fetching sticks from the water is a favourite form of exercise (and it gets them clean!).

Oh, Karlin, please, not sticks. You hear tales of dogs being damaged by them sticking in the throat, but I had a friend lose a lovely obedience competition collie because of one.

Meg was running with a stick when another of helen's dogs knocked her and the stick got pushed into the back of her throat. The vet could do nothing.

Abbey likes the water, but only to wade around in it. My parent's live on a lake, and Ab likes to wander around in the shallow water, sniffing and checking everything out. Gus, on the other hand, will bolt off the dock in a heartbeat! He loves the water!

I am trying to get maile to like all kinds of water. she really loves the water that comes from the hose/sprinkler and has a great time getting very wet. yesterday she got in the shower with me for a bit and she has been to the beach now 3 times and seems to love walking in the surf. too little to swim yet but I sure hope she likes it. we are surronded by it.

anyone ever heard that swimming in salt water can cause respiratory problems in dogs???? not that i am near any saltwater here in MN but i heard that in passing once but have not yet had any other comments on the matter. i imagine its not true, or at least not common since i have seen dogs in the ocean in CA but i was just curious if anyone else ever heard that?

My dogs have only been in a swimming pool (well only Izzy and Spencer as Tilly was not even born last summer). Spencer did not enjoy it AT ALL! :shock: He freaked out and clammored for the steps and still will not come within 5 feet of my grandmother's pool. Izzy, however, being the daredevil that she is, JUMPS in! :lol: She just wants to be wherever Mommy is, and that is floating on a raft in the middle of the pool :lol: :p

Yep....our Lucy loves a paddle, never thought she would....but 1 day she just followed Jake into the water :dogwlk:

swimming

ha ha well we were unsure until we went to my inlaws and Harvey was very curious of the pond. Which he then got too close too and fell in. Shock horror! I shouted ah can he even swim! (my ignorance of dogs at the time) much to everyones amusement. When he happily went round and round until jumping out of the other side looking like a drowned rat and rolling round in the soil. We gathered he could 1 - swim and 2 -thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a nightmare now trying to keep him out of the pond everytime we go now. So yes he likes water...

Well when MIlo was a puppy (about 3 months) he was playing with Monty near the pool and Monty accidently pushed him in ....He could swim absolutely fine but rushed to get out since it was pretty cold... Monty once was curious about the pool so he dipped his paw in but didnt realise how low the water was and fell in ;)...he didnt see,m to like it much either...it may be just because the pool was cold at that time too...and when im at the beach i dont let them go near the water since they are so small and the waves will just crash onto them..i have not forced them into the water and they havent willingly jumped in....so dont know really..

Back